collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 366
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Grand Tour  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Scott

Grand Tour
« on: December 01, 2016, 08:23:39 PM »
...after watching two complete episodes...

Same old, same old, in an embarrassing studio/tent with a horrible set, with crappy writing, and even crappier ad-libbing.  Just like Top Gear used to be, but much worse.  No Stig, just Skinner driving around while bitching about the car he's in. 

I see Jeremy has put on even more weight but still tries to squeeze into the same size jeans he wore in college.  Maye and Hammond still in their shameless support roles for the one with the big ego. 

It gets a great big  :sick: from me.  I can live happily ever after without watching another show.  If there really is something with a 'wow' factor, I suppose it will be posted on Youtube, otherwise it isn't even worth the time it takes to download it illegally (which actually isn't illegal in Switzerland by the way).

That's my review...any others find it not like that?  :D :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:26:22 PM by Scott »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

Re: Grand Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:16:43 PM »
I wasn't over impressed either Scott.  :nono:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:20:16 PM »
I wasn't over impressed either Scott.  :nono:

You mean you paid to watch Jezza & co, Ian.  :o
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 07:20:10 AM »
No way John, good old youtube ;)

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 08:37:21 AM »
Not watched it yet, may well try YouTube thus weekend, now that I have some real reviews  ;)

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 09:21:56 AM »
I've watched both episodes and my thoughts are as follows.

Episode 1 had a inspiring start and the whole program felt very familiar. The celebrities 'not making it' to the studio should have stopped at two at the most and not repeated in any further episodes, ok we get it. The replacement for the Stig seems awful and will take as lot of getting used to and I'm still in two minds about the new track. The super car reviews was good and the rest of the show was, shall we say, amusing.

Episode 2 was surprisingly not as good as episode 1. I liked the Aston review even with Clarkson's usual tomfoolery. The army reenactment, went on for far too long, it seemed to be half the show. It was funny in places but then got boring very quickly. James May (whom I like very much) in the burn outs with the teenages? Pointless.

With a budget of £5m per episode I expected more but its early days.

Do I like The Grand Tour? It's OK
Will I watch it again? Every episode for sure!

Why? Because in the UK we are car lovers and the sheer lack of motoring TV in the UK is a disgrace. I would rather watch a mediocre car program than no car program at all. It's a bit like the new Top Gear,  the show was ripped apart be reviews. Fine, constructive criticism will hopefully lead to a better program in the next series. BUT if we all stop watching it then we cannot moan when these programs are taken off air altogether. If we lose these programs in the UK then the highlight of a car enthusiast's week will be seeing what car Simon Cowell emerges from on another God awful 'Who can make Simon his next million show'.

Long live Top Gear and The Grand Tour! I now have two mediocre car shows to watch - and thats just fine with me.

Wiz 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:30:50 AM by Wizzo »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 11:40:09 AM »
I'll continue to watch the new Top Gear now that Chris is gone, and I think I will enjoy it.  As for Grand Tour, Jeremy and co. had a wonderful opportunity to re-invent their show, but they were either too afraid to try out something new, or just too dim-witted.

The track to start out with is horrible.  The drift corner is a bit special, but the rest is garbage.  Gone is the runway for top speed runs (yes, they flew everything to the salt flats for that first episode, but are they going to do that every time?), and really no high speed corner to speak of.  Why didn't they spend the money on building an actual track?  It wouldn't have to be up to racing standard, but they could have done something, even starting with what they have.

The skits as you said are far too long.  The dead stars was tiring, and those of us who live outside the UK had no idea who any of them are.  Thought they were trying for worldwide appeal.  The army gag was embarrassing for both the Jordan military and for the idiots on the show. 

What they don't seem to remember is that the cars are the stars.  I suspect from that £5m pounds, there is very little left over for production once Jeremy, Richard and James's wallets are restocked each episode.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 09:03:28 PM »
I've just watched the 3rd episode of The Grand Tour. It looks like the £5m budget went on logistics, a nice house and some explosives! Again mildly amusing in places.
I'd love to hear your opinions.

Wiz

30 Day Free Amazon Video Trial
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »
Watched the 3rd one too last night, too drawn out, over the top with Hammond and his muscle car. Think they've lost the Top Gear plot  too much, probably won't bother again.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 01:53:03 PM »
Watched the 3rd one too last night, too drawn out, over the top with Hammond and his muscle car. Think they've lost the Top Gear plot  too much, probably won't bother again.

Ahh, so it's not GT you are trying to burn onto DVD then Ian.  ;) :DD
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 03:54:42 PM »
 :D No way John,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle