collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Maybe Halos Aren't So Bad  (Read 4464 times)

Offline cosworth151

Maybe Halos Aren't So Bad
« on: December 23, 2017, 05:44:21 PM »
Worse safety ideas than a Halo, special Christmas edition:

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Maybe Halos Aren't So Bad
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 07:51:41 PM »
 :DD :DD :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 08:33:44 PM »
 :DD :DD :DD
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 01:45:02 AM »
I hope it's okay to reply to an old"ish" topic?

So, the dreaded Halo ... how do we feel about it now??

I know we all despised the sheer mention of it pre-2018 and I for one, was not a fan of it, while appreciating safety concerns for the drivers.    The basic argument has swung back and fourth throughout the season, ironically, being questioned in the very last race in Abu Dhabi.

Looking at Niko Hulkenberg's accident, would it be accurate to suggest the Halo did it's job as they can rolled and briefly landed on the cockpit .... while at the same time, restricted/hindered access for medical personal to remove Niko from the cockpit, especially with concerns that the car could catch fire!!

What are your thoughts on the Halo's role in 2018 ... and as it's likely here to stay, will future car designs have the Halo blend in better with the shape/curves of the car??

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »
I think the halo has proved it's worth more than once this season. The shunt at the beginning of Spa comes to mind. Hulkenberg punted Alonso from behind. Alonso's McLaren slid across the halo on LeClerc' s Sauber. The tire marks left on the Sauber showed what could have happened without the halo.

There is room for improvement. As mentioned, Nico's shunt last weekend showed both the good and bad aspects of it.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 04:40:54 PM »
How about this instead?
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »
I thought it was going to be a safety impediment right until Belgium. For some mysterious reason, I was fine with it after that...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 04:28:53 PM »
I'm all good with it.  Saved Leclerc and possibly Hulk.  Earned its spot.

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 09:50:48 PM »
I'm trying to remember which incident had Martin Brundle argue that the tyre marks were only close to the cockpit, as contact with the Halo allowed them to be, otherwise, there would have been no contact on that part of the car??

Anyway, as you say, it's fair to say that the Halo has shown conclusive reasons to stay on the car, with the only question mark hanging over how quickly a driver may have to exit the car in a serious situation.

I think throughout the 2018 season, I "slowly" began to overlook the Halo as an ugly "add-on" to the car.  I'm hopeful that teams will improve it's connection to the car in 2019 with smoother/blended designs.

Best Regards,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 10:29:41 PM »
I still hate the bloody Halo and don't really accept that it's saved anyone. It's all conjecture as there are probably never two shunts the same and myriad differences to each one.

I also hate that TV picture angle from on board the Merc cars, in the latter part of the season, always has the Halo more obtrusive than on most other cars, what's that all about.  :DntKnw:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 03:35:32 AM »
The only thing I hate about the halo is that the FOM has taken the “liberty” to use it as a tachometer.  Completely distracts my enjoyment.  For those who want to monitor engine RPM, put one in the corner of the screen somewhere out of my view.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 04:47:10 PM »
I totally agree. The former display was less intrusive and had more info. For example, it showed G forces.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 06:30:55 AM »
I certainly agree with the 3 comments above, regarding the halo obstruction/graphic overlay inside the car.  I think it's one of the cheapest things to happen to F1 in 2018!!!

I'm "semi used to" the halo from 45 angles outside the car, especially should they continue to develop it's place on the car in 2019, but again, those inside cockpit camera angles are awful.  From the 80's to 90's, F1 worked hard to give us a feeling of what the driver sees, then the Halo did quite the reverse!!

Best Regards,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle