collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Checking Your Virtual Memory  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Checking Your Virtual Memory
« on: November 05, 2007, 11:29:08 PM »
This post is specially for dare, but if anyone else thinks it will be useful to them, that's great too. These instructions apply to Windows XP.

1. Click "Start".
2. Go to "Settings" (but do not click, instead push the mouse to the right).
3. Double-click on "Control Panel".
4. Double-click on "System".
5. Click on the "Advanced" (please don't get scared; you won't harm your computer unless you do something really unusual)
6. Click on "Performance".
7. Click on "Advanced" (again, there's nothing especially scary here).
8. Ignore the first two bits and look at the "Virtual Memory" bit near the bottom of the window.
9. Read the number. This is your allocated virtual memory. More is better, as long as you've got the hard drive space for it.

Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline romephius

Re: Checking Your Virtual Memory
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:37:38 PM »
Just a quick note....... if you are assigning Virtual memory, the largest size you will ever need is double the amount of ram you have plus 11......

eg: 512MB of RAM = Virtual memory of 512 x 2 + 11 = 1035MB

I can explain the reasons behind this if anyone wants to know why it is this way.

Great explanation there Ali

Rom

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:44:09 PM »
Rom,she's attempting to help this pc illiterate
lost soul once again
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:45:56 PM »
No wonder my PC slows down on occasion - on rom's calculation, my virtual memory was about 2GB less than he advised (I had a 768MB virtual memory space, despite having 1.5GB of real memory). Thank you, rom!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 11:52:46 PM »
The same sequence(more or less) works with Vista.  I have 1193MB.

Thanks for the education Ali.

Offline romephius

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 12:12:30 AM »
The whole Virtual memory thing is so that when the processor (brain) is doing it's thing, It might start becoming a bit full, so it passes information it's processing to the memory while it does something else, but, if the memory becomes a bit full, it then passes that information into a 'swap file' (virtual memory).  The reason for Double the memory plus 11 is that the processor can work with a full memory load, and swap to a new full memory load with a minimum of time, I believe the 11 is for the registry to remain loaded in memory too. 

Reason for creating a static Virtual memory: Because as windows fills the virtual memory up is re-writes the file on the hard drive, this creates pauses (sometimes substantial) while it re-creates a larger 'swap file'... once it is done with this larger file, it re-writes the file to a smaller size again.

Rom

Online Dare

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 12:23:33 AM »
Rom can you reset your virtual memory and if
you can how?thanks matey
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline romephius

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 01:12:34 AM »
well following Ali's instructions when you have the option to specify your virtual memory size you can also select a different drive for it to sit on...... that would be the only way to 'reset' your virtual memory....... otherwise....... reboot your computer.......

Good Luck to you..... if you need extra help I will see what I can do about making a pdf with some screen captures on how to do it all for you mate.

Rom

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle