collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 354
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Murdoch Might Take F1 Pay-Per-View  (Read 12821 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Murdoch Might Take F1 Pay-Per-View
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 05:34:45 PM »
My definition of Pay-Per-View is "Watch Something Else"  :o

I agree. I was a huge fan of boxing until it went Pay-Per-View. Now, I couldn't even tell you who the heavyweight champ is.

Murdoch's only interest is himself. He took the legendary Wall Street Journal and turned it into a laughing stock. I'm sure he would show no more concern for F1. He'd milk it for every last farthing he could quickly wring out of it, then dump whatever was left.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 04:34:17 AM »
I think that Bernies replacement is already there but we do not know who it is as a completely new face would not work.
Just my opinion!!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »
I think that Bernies replacement is already there but we do not know who it is as a completely new face would not work.
Just my opinion!!

Between FOM, FIA and FOTA, I don't see a nice clean succession happening.  Even if CVC (or whoever owns FOM) has a clear replacement, both the FIA and FOTA are going to try to take bigger pieces of the pie.  Who in the world can stare down both Todt and Luca?

(And I think that when Bernie goes, and he watches the whole thing from down below, he's going to laugh and laugh.  >:D )

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 10:51:45 AM »
I was listening to a discussion on this on the radio a few days ago. I think this sums it up.

UK Viewing figures

Average football match = 1 million
Big name football match = 2 million

China F1 GP (6am!) = 5 million  :swoon:

No wonder he wants it.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »

(And I think that when Bernie goes, and he watches the whole thing from down below, he's going to laugh and laugh.  >:D )

I don't think Bernie's keen enough on Australia to spend his retirement there Jeri.   :D :DD :DD  :tease:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 11:02:29 PM »
I was listening to a discussion on this on the radio a few days ago. I think this sums it up.

UK Viewing figures

No wonder he wants it.

HOLY COW!!!!  :o From a North American's perspective there's no way I would have ever bet on F1 getting those numbers over football! I had no idea it was more popular than football for TV audiences.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 01:47:50 AM »
Keep in mind that there are 20 F1 races per year, while there are probably 20 matches per week (at least). The bottom line strongly favors football.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline limelee

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 02:26:06 AM »
The PPV model isn't right for the UK. We have by far the best coverage in the world now the sport is back on BBC. 3 Hours plus, No Breaks, analysis and insight far beyond that of any sport. It's a credit to the BBC that the majority of the UK press basically paraphrase all the BBC's interviews when covering the sport, there is a reason 5million people are up at the crack of dawn!

This level of coverage however isn't available worldwide due to all networks needing television advertising. A PPV model in other countries, which would provide coverage like ours is a feasable business solution, considering that quality of coverage is crucial to any sports long term viabilty. Thee will be some brands that contribute nothing to F1 which will, in some countries, be able to associate themselves with F1 through blanket advertising during F1's breaks, and the money will go to the broadcaster. If F1 is able to ensure that only brands which are part of F1 get the coverage, then it will be able to add the exclusivity of the F1 brand to its bargaining process. This would mean that car manufacturers searching for a good platform to advertise would need to invest in F1 teams, rather than pay for advertising in the breaks if they want to reach those audiences who are so obviously interested in car design. Volkswagen used to have massive ITV ad campaigns back in the day. But are they in F1? I imagine that F1 coverage away from the UK is chock full of adverts for Hondas and Toyotas, yet they aren't in F1 anymore. I imagine that this alone makes it very difficult for small teams to secure the revenues they need. If F1 could find a platform that offered exclusive coverage to its sponsors and the teams sponsors, then it would provide a far more attractive investment prospect and perhaps mean that F1 is a must for any major car manufacturer in reaching a wider audience

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 09:35:26 AM »

UK Viewing figures

No wonder he wants it.

HOLY COW!!!!  :o From a North American's perspective there's no way I would have ever bet on F1 getting those numbers over football! I had no idea it was more popular than football for TV audiences.

The figures are not straight like for like, the football viewership is on Sky subscription (PPV if you like the term} whilst the F1 is free on BBC. If the footbal was on free to air the figures would be in the tens of millions at least.

The main point of the comparison is, I think, that there is a very large audience prepared to make the effort at an ungodly hour in TV terms, a really commited audience ripe for the plucking in Murdoch's eyes.

Offline Ian

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 11:42:24 AM »
I am one commited viewer that will become un-commited John, I have experienced Sky once and that was enough for me, I found them misleading to the point of untruthful. If it does go to Sky I shall just be on chat for the race, heartbreaking though it will be.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »
I am one commited viewer that will become un-commited John, I have experienced Sky once and that was enough for me, I found them misleading to the point of untruthful. If it does go to Sky I shall just be on chat for the race, heartbreaking though it will be.

Sounds like your experiences with Sky were a lot like mine with NTL cable (now Virgin) Ian. Everything was always extra and nothing was ever their fault as they advised all changes to terms and conditions via emails even though my web access was not working more than half the time and I was paying the extra to have paperbilling - which was essential to see just what extras they were trying to charge  to you.

Oh and you had to have two phone lines from them, one for internet and the other for voice, despite the fact that we never made or received any calls on the voiceline as we kept our BT line, good job we did as it made getting internet from BT so much easier.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 03:13:10 PM »

UK Viewing figures

No wonder he wants it.

The figures are not straight like for like, the football viewership is on Sky subscription (PPV if you like the term} whilst the F1 is free on BBC. If the footbal was on free to air the figures would be in the tens of millions at least.

The main point of the comparison is, I think, that there is a very large audience prepared to make the effort at an ungodly hour in TV terms, a really commited audience ripe for the plucking in Murdoch's eyes.

Murdoch has been operating in the USA for so long, he probably can't imagine why people's taxes should pay for F1 coverage.

I know for a fact it would never fly in Canada.  Even though CBC is publicly funded, the hockey games generate revenue (through advertising) and are run at a profit, not a loss.

If people won't let the government pay for hockey they'd never let the government pay for F1 coverage.

HOWEVER, given that F1 is funded mostly by advertising on the cars and track, let THEM pay for my F1 coverage.  It doesn't seem right that a 2 hour commercial for Red Bull and Ferrari should be subsidised by Honda and Toyota...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »
Virgin Racing's sporting director Graeme Lowdon is against it:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6899925/-F1-Should-Be-Free-To-Air-

I'd rather not have the adverts, but I'm OK with it. Even if I could get pay-per-view, I wouldn't use it.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »

It would be an enornous shock if he was not against it, Virgin with it's national fibre optic cable network is Sky's only competitor for pay TV in Britain.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6899925/-F1-Should-Be-Free-To-Air-

I'd rather not have the adverts, but I'm OK with it. Even if I could get pay-per-view, I wouldn't use it.

Not to pick on Cos in particular, but what's the hate on PPV?  Watching a 2 hour race for the same price as a two hour movie strikes me as fair.  I wouldn't pay the same rates as boxing PPV, but $5 or $10 a race, with a proper pre/post race show and no commercials would be fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle