collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 256
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bernie up to old tricks with Ferrari over new Concorde?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Bernie up to old tricks with Ferrari over new Concorde?
« on: November 12, 2011, 12:09:42 PM »

Is special deal reason FOTA meeting cancelled this weekend?  :DntKnw: 

It has been suggested that Red Bull had caused the meeting delay with a late proposal for the next cost-limiting deal, and indeed that may be still be the reason. However Bernie's usual way of operating is divide and rule, so why should we expect it to be any different this time over the Concorde? This FOTA get together was expected to be important with the tricky new Concorde agreement negotiations looming.

A quote attributed to Max, Bernie's former co-conspirator in these matters, sums it all up perfectly I think; "If he went into a revolving door behind you," the former FIA president said, "he would come out in front."

Bernie Ecclestone could be planning to pull $100 million out of the coffers to give the negotiations over F1’s next Concorde Agreement a kick-start.

In 2005, amid the teams’ threats that they would give up on the income offered by formula one and set up their own series, Ecclestone pulled off a masterstroke by paying Ferrari $100 million to sign up.

Ferrari was selected by the F1 chief executive due to its arguably indispensible value to the sport, and indeed the breakaway threat duly folded.

Now, seven years into the future, talks about the period beyond 2012 are getting set to move into high gear.

The difference this time is that the teams are united under their FOTA umbrella, even though Ecclestone would love to see the current disagreements over a cost-cutting agreement result in the union’s split.

However, with breakaway threats believed to now be strictly prohibited, the teams’ new tactic could be the suggestion of an involvement as co-owners of the lucrative commercial rights.

"On my side, we have certain obligations not to speak about sensitive subjects. Any kind of declaration we may make can be used and - let me put it this way - manipulated for the wrong reasons, so I would say that I cannot comment on that," said Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali in Abu Dhabi.

But after the shock cancellation of a key FOTA meeting this weekend, rumours are rife.

"What is being said among members of the teams is that, as he did in the past, Ecclestone could make an unique offer to renew (the Concorde Agreement) between Ferrari and FOM," O Estado de S.Paulo correspondent Livio Oricchio wrote.

"If FOTA ceases to exist - and the chances of this seem high - and Ferrari accepts an offer from Ecclestone, the others will feel obliged to negotiate as well. History will repeat," he added.

Nextgen-auto.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Bernie up to old tricks with Ferrari over new Concorde?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 03:39:44 PM »
I don't think FOTA will cease to exist. It will simply not unite 11 of the 12 teams - maybe only a handful, until its replacement accord comes along.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Bernie up to old tricks with Ferrari over new Concorde?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:24:21 AM »
The teams should be patient and see what happens to Bernie over his legal issues. There is a chance Bernie will be prosecuted, and even if he isn't, CVC might decide he is no longer the man to run F!.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle