collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 366
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The end of Formula 1?  (Read 22052 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: The end of Formula 1?
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2011, 02:05:30 PM »
I really wish this were a worldwide issue instead of
a UK one.

It is a worldwide issue; some places have already seen this experiment and others will get affected by the likely consequences of this badly-thought out deal.

In Italy, there is free-to-air qualifying and race coverage on Rai. However, for three years Sky Italia provided all sessions on pay-per-view. They stopped the experiment at the start of 2010. I have not seen a reason for this, but if the deal was working for Sky I somehow doubt the contract would have been dropped.

Also, I'm having trouble working out how Sky will break even on this contract. Assuming the advertising income precisely covers the show's production costs (not entirely reliable, given that ITV couldn't find a title sponsor for the 2008 F1 show), it will take at least half a million people subscribing specifically because of F1 (not counting people who subscribe to Sky Sports for other reasons) for it to break even. That assumes that people will only watch the race. If Sky spreads coverage across two channels to get practise and qualifying out of the way of football, the extra cost of the second channel does not compensate for the likely reduction of viewers between the race and qualifying implied by past experience on free-to-air.

Depending on the spread of interest between those wanting just the race and those wanting all sessions, Sky will need between half a million and 0.88 million people subscribing just for F1 to pay the Bernie fee. Below that, everything else will have to subsidse F1. Are you seriously telling me that's going to happen for longer than Sky can get away with it? Especially with the BBC carrying competing coverage on TV and radio that already has a reputation for excellence among the F1 fraternity?

More likely, this will lead to the third early bail-out by a British broadcaster in three consecutive British F1 contracts. Britain is one of the 4 biggest markets for F1 in the world (the others being Germany, Italy and Brazil). That pattern will make the other media organisations dealing with Bernie sit up and take notice. This applies particularly to free-to-air organisations in countries where pay-per-view currently dominates. It will give them a convincing argument that high TV prices don't work for F1, especially when it puts F1 on unpopular platforms. I can see this leading to a snowball effect where F1 gets much, much less TV money from everyone in a relatively short space of time (2016-2019). Take particular note of Finland (contract after next likely to fall due then, and it's currently on pay TV). The rest of you are more likely to know than me when your individual country TV deals fall due, but keep an eye on anything due to expire in the next 12 months (for the same reason as Finland) or in the 2016-2019 period.

I knew Bernie would sell out Britain for money. I didn't know he'd sell out his capacity to make money for money...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »
Compared to many comments here, mine aren't particularly well put, but they are from the heart as a lifelong fan.  Anger aside, and putting aside that even the ten races BBC cover live next year will probably be watered down version of what they do now, can't and won't be of the same high quality,  I would like to thank the BBC for the last 3 years, their coverage has been amazing, I've loved the forums and what other broadcaster would have given us the same quality we got in Canada.  Their hasn't been a weak link in the chain, even Eddie's ramblings are amusing.  I won't be watching, but Sky you have a lot to live up to and you will fall short.

So Jake, DC, Eddie, Martin, Lee, Ted and even Legard, you should be very proud of what you have done the last three years and know that no other broadcastewr will live up to it.  And can't forget Crofty and Ant and occasionally Chandhokapedia on Fridays.

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
There is one bit of good news. BBC still has the radio contract, so you can still hear Crofty, Ant and Chandhok (unless the latter has a race seat of course). You just won't have any pictures to go with their words (unless you find the RTL channel that's allegedly down the back of the Freesat sofa and mute the German commentary).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Scott

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
RTL's loaded with ads.  Try to get SF2 on your satellite. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »
That would require messing around with the satellite orientation and losing some of the channels Mum watches (SF2 is 13° East while Freesat is 28° East), so unfortunately that's not an option for me. RTL comes off a satellite on 28° East, like Freesat (though I think they're on different satellites), which is why it may be possible for me to use it as an alternative.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

David

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2011, 10:26:32 PM »
This is a response I have received from the BBC after emailing them about my concerns about F1 coverage. Reading the response, especially the part I have highlighted, I can't help thinking that this isn't as bad as first thought. Maybe we in the UK have had it way too good for too long, it seems we will still have coverage most countries would be more than glad of. My only concern is who the commentators and presenters will be.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Bernie is still a sell out, money grabbing ****, that has stuff up our good thing up, Eh Darrell.  ;) It now just seem a bit better that I thought it was going to be.

Dear Mr M

Thanks for contacting us regarding the BBC's rights to broadcast future seasons of 'Formula One'.

We understand you are unhappy that the BBC won't be showing all races in future seasons due to the sharing of broadcast rights with Sky.

We know that Formula 1 has an extremely passionate following in the UK and that some fans will be disappointed that not all races will be available exclusively live on the BBC from next season.

We are operating in a very tough financial climate and in common with all areas of the BBC, BBC Sport is having to make significant cost savings over the next few years in order to operate within the constraints of the licence fee settlement, therefore we have to make some difficult choices.

We believe this deal represents good value for money for licence fee payers. We retain live coverage of half of the race weekends and we will have extended highlights of the remaining races so we are pleased that all of the action from Formula 1 for the next seven seasons will remain on BBC television. Online coverage of the race weekends that we broadcast will remain the same, and we will carry all the news and reports from the rest of the season. Radio coverage will not change whilst the most popular races - the British Grand Prix, the Monaco Grand Prix and the final race of the season will continue to be broadcast live on BBC One.

We would like to assure you that we’ve registered your complaint on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are made available across the BBC.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us with your concerns.

Kind Regards

BBC Audience Services

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:28:42 PM by David »

Offline Ian

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
At least you got a reply David, I never. They really p*ss me off by keep saying 'You can still watch the highlights of the other 10 races.' They can stuff the highlights where the sun does'nt shine !!!!!!!!
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

David

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »
At least you got a reply David, I never. They really p*ss me off by keep saying 'You can still watch the highlights of the other 10 races.' They can stuff the highlights where the sun does'nt shine !!!!!!!!

They replied to me within 12hrs Ian.  :DntKnw:

I still think we will have it better than Dare, Cos, etc. Not ideal but what is these days?

Offline Ian

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2011, 11:12:20 PM »
I really should'nt keep on this subject David as I just get madder and madder and sadder and sadder.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2011, 12:05:43 AM »
IF, and this is a big IF, this screws up the viewing here in Canada at all (perhaps tape delay) and I am not able to join the chat room for live chat then I consider myself lucky living in Canada where F1 coverage is about as common as NHL highlights on BBC1.

Why?

I'll just download the races in HD (if you know where to look EVERYTHING is available) including the pre and post race coverage and watch at my leisure knowing that I won't have the outcome spoiled.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2011, 01:00:05 AM »
I just watched Murray Walker's take on the BBS/Sky deal and I must say I find it hard to believe he was really speaking the whole truth. Much as I love him and he claims to be a freelance journalist I doubt anyone in his position would be willing to call out the BBC and call this anything other than it really is....lining Bernie's pockets with more money.

How much is this move going to save the BBC? I haven't read that anywhere. How much is this going to cost the BBC in lost viewership or do they really care?

Murray is also of the opinion that this is the inevitable end to where major sports are heading in general...a pay-to-watch business model.

I encourage everyone over there to make arrangements to have a single designated Sky subscription and share costs amongst yourselves and gather to watch as a group and not fall into this trap.

The more I think about it, if I remain unaffected here in Canada and am able to watch ALL the races live on our commercial based broadcaster then it's REALLY not fair to you guys over there is it? Somehow I think we may be in for a rough ride here too when next year rolls around as I can't see TSN (our local broadcaster of F1 who just gives us the BBC feed) paying Sky AND the BBC to bring us coverage. I can anly imagine what the ratings are now for F1 here and I doubt they would be willing to spend more money when they could probably run Dog Shows and get just as much viewership! :)

The day ANY sport that I am a fan of goes to a PPV (pay-per-view) model is the day that I no longer watch. It's only sports and the amount of money that I hear about players and drivers getting just pisses me off and I can't justify spending money to support them when it would be much better spent elsewhere.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:02:17 AM by Canada "FU Bernie" Darrell »
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »

They didn't say where the highlights would be. If they mean BBC3, where they are now, they more or less have stuck them where the sun don't shine...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
They replied to me within 12hrs Ian.  :DntKnw:

That is very good, especially given the thousands of complaints the BBC has received on the issue this weekend. It is particularly ironic since it has offered quicker responses to complainants than either Sky or the FOM, despite being the only one of the three to have a good reason for entering the deal.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Ian

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2011, 08:01:32 PM »
I got a reply today from Slater as well. Basically it says PHOOEY to you, you don't count.

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
We are sky subscribers, although not to sky sports, just the basic package, earlier this year I noticed 100 euro gone from my account for a service call out that never happened.  After a lot of heated phone calls (and I do mean a lot and I do mean heated) the money was refunded.  During this time sent me mail, to my old address, an address I hadn't lived in in four years, and which made me even more irate, especially as when we moved to the current house they charged me 75 euro for the move!  During one of my arguments with a sky rep I asked if I was to call a service rep where would he go?  They said to my old address.  I spoke to I think five people in Sky to make sure they finally got my address right.  They sent a letter confirming my change of address to.... my old address.

I hate sky, I hate their money grabbing ways, their total lack of customer service, but unfortunately its either them or Chorus (who are unbelievably worse), we have no BT or Virgin.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle