collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 550
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 'F1 needs an American driver'  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Dare

'F1 needs an American driver'
« on: December 23, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »
I don't think the average F1 fan in the US really cares
whether theirs a American driver or not,I don't

Former Ganassi and Foyt driver Eddie Cheever believes that F1 needs an American on the grid if the sport is to thrive in the USA.

Formula One will return to America next year for the first time since 2007, with an all-new track being built in Austin, Texas. A race has also been slated to take place in West New York in the future.

However, Cheever, the most experienced American Formula One driver, is not convinced that locals will fully embrace F1 until there is an American on track, particularly after the damage done by the Michelin tyre fiasco in 2005.

"I don't think Formula 1 can be successful in America without an American driver, but there are a lot of Ferrari fans who follow the sport everywhere and there are American Formula 1 fans," Cheever told Sports Illustrated.

"There would be a lot more success with American drivers.

"We were doing well at Indianapolis until they dropped the ball with the tire fiasco in 2005. The fans are very fickle and they didn't come back."

The 53-year-old contends that it will take more than just one fly-by-night driver to sustain interest, with solid development programs required.

"Just having one driver won't do it," he said.

"Maybe having one in F1 would galvanize F1 in America so more young drivers wanted [to get involved]. It [multiple drivers] is a process that is going to take a long time, a five-year plan [backed] by a corporation or a car manufacturer to develop talent.

"Almost all of the young drivers in America want to be in NASCAR and we need more to want to get to F1."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: 'F1 needs an American driver'
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 03:12:15 PM »
I agree with the sentiment.

I only started following F1 when there was a Canadian driver, and interest in F1 in Canada has dropped since Jacques Villeneuve's departure.

However, I don't really blame Americans for not lining up.  NASCAR has more than 40 seats available, and most of them pay better than most of the seats in F1.  In NASCAR you get to stay close to your friends and family.  In NASCAR you get treated like a God.

Why would anyone give that up to glad hand with Saudi princes, European telephone executives and Austrian caffeine salesmen, just to run in a car that has no chance of winning.

F1 doesn't need an American driver.  F1 needs an American driver at Ferrari.  (Maybe RBR or McLaren... but I wouldn't say for sure.)

From there, things can build, but if it's not an American pulling podiums for Ferrari, then I don't see widespread fan or driver love for F1.  Indeed, if Ferrari is the one telling Bernie they need to race in the USA, why not put their money where their mouth is?  They probably could have their pick of NASCAR Cup Champions like no other team on the grid.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 03:59:48 PM »
I think that Scott Speed showed that just an American driver won't do it. What would help would be for an established American driver to make the jump to F1. Imagine what would happen if someone like Carl Edwards or Dale Jr. went to F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »
I agree Cos,it would take a top popular US driver and he
would have to start winning for the fickle US fans to get interested
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle