collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 603
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Chinese GP - what did we think?  (Read 4018 times)

Offline rossadopolus

Chinese GP - what did we think?
« on: April 15, 2012, 10:41:09 AM »
I thought the race today was absoultely brilliant! A great mix of clean racing and a mixture of tyre/pit strategies really chook things up and the last 15 laps were fantastic.

Rosberg was superb...I really didn't think Merc would have the race pace they showed today. Even if Jenson hadn't had his pit blunder I don't think he would have caught and passed Nico. Still a great result for McLaren though and they now top both championship tables!

Williams showing again they have good race pace and I think Alonso is showing just how good a driver he is getting the speed he is from the lacklustre Ferrari.

Tyres played a big part in todays result; most of all for Kimi. Going from 2nd to 10th in 5 corners shows just how rapidly the tyres can drop off. Really is a shame he didn't finish higher.

What did everyone else think?

Offline Ian

Re: Chinese GP - what did we think?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »
A superb race, what an advert for F1, even if F1 is'nt your sport this was one to change your mind, it had everything, and the best part was great close, wheel to wheel but good clean racing.  :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

David

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »
Great race, and well enjoyed.  :good:

If only that nut gun hadn't robbed Shumi the chance to join in the fun. Also I notice he was the only DNF, F1 reliability is unreal this last while. 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »
I was bored halfway through because virtually nothing was happening and the pit strategies were obvious. However, the Massa millipede was bottling up tension and when Felipe made his inevitable pit stop, the ensuing battles were great fun.

The race was good but not excellent - and if Felipe hadn't managed to get 2nd through not pitting excessively early, the race would have been dull due to people not even meeting let alone passing.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:28 PM »
I was bored halfway through because virtually nothing was happening and the pit strategies were obvious. However, the Massa millipede was bottling up tension and when Felipe made his inevitable pit stop, the ensuing battles were great fun.

The race was good but not excellent - and if Felipe hadn't managed to get 2nd through not pitting excessively early, the race would have been dull due to people not even meeting let alone passing.

You must have watched a different race to me then Alia. I feel the strategies were anything but obvious, Webber pitting early (lap 9, I think) was not expected and caused a whole wave of stops, some probably premature, by going much faster and making places in the process.

Massa's long first run was always on the cards as he started on mediums not softs like all the higher grid place men, but who would have expected him to be far enough forward to be in front of so many,  -for a while anyway.  :tease:

Battles in midfield throughout were spectacular with loads of wheel to wheel, and wing to wing, contact but all of them kept running (even crashkid Grosjean :D). Then we had the fantastic battle for 2nd to 10th in the latter stages of the race. The only non finisher in the race was Schumi who was laid low by a simple wheel nut, now who would have believed he would be the only dnf with all the biffing and barging throughout the field. Crumbs we also had the spectacle of teamates duffing up each other, Sauber, Williams and even the RBR boys.

To top it off we even had Mark doing a Casey Stoner style wheelie at one point in the race, his laundry bill may be higher than usual after that.  ;)

I guess we'll never know how Nico would have coped with pressure in the last quarter of the race, a win is a win for all that and you have to get yourself into the lead in the first place to be the winner. He never put a foot wrong when it mattered, so hats off to Nico for his maiden win. :good:

'What if' always makes for a good discussion topic but there's no points for what may have been. I really, really enjoyed that race.  :good: Oh and as a bonus it's shaken up the championship.  :yahoo:  Roll on Bahrain.  :yahoo:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:06:23 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline hayleylsl

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »
I really, really enjoyed the race- the beginning wasn't as exciting i've seen but from Webber's early pit-stop it just got better and better and better!

Wheel to wheel action, 3 cars in a row- how they didn't touch i don't know but it was so exciting and amazing to watch.

The battle for second was amazing- the best i have seen in a very long time- i was shouting at my tv at one point, ebbing Lewis on.

I'm going to be watching the re-run in a bit too!
"It's like riding a bicycle around your living room"

Nelson Piquet on the Monaco Grand Prix..

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »
Yeah, I thought it was going to be a sleeper after the first few corners and the Merc's started to pull away and all the other followed in a row behind.  Then Schumi's blown pit stop by a what I assume will be a shortly unemployed lollipop man.  The wheel guy was waving like a maniac to not let him leave, but they lifted the lollipop anyhow.  I thought MS would be the one to put enough pressure on Rosberg to get by, making it a 1-2 Merc finish. 

Then about half way, I really started getting excited.  Like Ali said, after Massa got out of the way, things picked up.  Everyone raced clean aside from a little dustup between a Williams and Sauber (I think), and of course Perez almost getting creamed by Alonso when he came back on track.  Great driving to the whole field.  Who guessed one DNF?  Nobody.

I think Kimi's tire problem wasn't only that the tires went off suddenly.  It was when he went offline briefly and probably picked up a kg of marbles, making his car almost un-drivable.

Sorry Sauber only got one point out of today, but the Sauber's were both fun to watch plenty of the time.

Grossjean, Senna and Maldonado.  I know they all finished in the points, but they didn't get much TV time (unless maybe I had to step away).

I was pretty pleased when Webber passed Vettel near the end.  I'm sure Vettel was asking the team to let him back again, and probably Webber's radio went on the fritz  :P :P

Massa finishing only 5sec behind Alonso who was almost 40sec behind Rosberg should once again tell Ferrari that they first need to fix the car and THEN and ONLY THEN, look at the drivers.

I only watched the race as I ran past the TV every now and again, so I will watch it in its' entirety tonight, and maybe add more comments.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Philbe

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:08:24 PM »
Yeah, there was the best wheel to wheel racing this season. Everyone giving an inch spared a lot of grief.
Way to go Rosberg...pole to pole.
 And for such a high speed circuit the reliability is amazing. Makes GG picking interesting.

Phil

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
A really astonishing race, crazy i will tell  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Except Nico every car from Massa to Button have been in the second spot and went all the way to the 13th place. And people must admit Lewis really drove an excillent race with great wheel to wheel clean and exciting racing. And others also did a similar, gutsy and crazy race, these are all done without any intervention of rain or any other halt or disruption.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »
I think Vettel had a bit of a workshop by various people showing him that you can pass in F1 without taking out the other guys front wing once you're past.  Webber and Button in particular did it quite well.  :P :P
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 11:29:50 PM »
I thought it was a very good race, too. It will be hard to talk about the race and not say "what if" about Schumi & Button's tire changing woes.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 12:06:50 AM »
I thought it was a very good race, too. It will be hard to talk about the race and not say "what if" about Schumi & Button's tire changing woes.

It may have cost MS a podium,Button I don't think could
have won with a perfect stop
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »

It may have cost MS a podium,Button I don't think could
have won with a perfect stop

We've seen in the past that Button could unnerve Vettel just by being in his mirrors.  If we're playing 'what if', that's certainly a possibility for Rosberg who is busy tasting his first win to make a mistake under pressure.

I think it was a good race.  Very responsible running by everyone (except the Merc pit release system).  Even Massa and Hamilton executed a clean driving pass.

Without the pit mishaps, I think it would have been a classic.  At the very least, we'd have MS and JB fighting for second!

Offline Willy

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 02:44:08 AM »
One of the best races in recent memory.
Fabulous to watch Nico get his 1st pole and win...he diserved them both with great driving and supurb team support.
The multicar race for second was outstanding with lots of action and great passing.
It seems that Massa has picked up the torch dropped by Yarno Trulli as the moveable chicane. Massa has not been the same since his accident. Time to step down, spend time with the family and let another have that seat.
And what was Lotus thinking letting Kimi stay out so long and let his tires go off so badly.
He should have been in for new shoes in the early 40's and he may have had a chance to catch up and at least gets some points. His tires dropped off so bad he lost 12 places in one or two laps.
Having said all that....a great race that has rekindled my interest in F1 again.
 :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle