collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 579
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: We may applaude Mr. Bernie  (Read 2482 times)

Offline F1fanaticBD

We may applaude Mr. Bernie
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:21:31 AM »
Perhaps it is among the rarest of of occasion that Mr. Bernie, yes the devil himself talks like a true racing angle (How that could be possible  :DntKnw: :DntKnw:)
Must be dreaming  :fool: :fool:

Television networks covering Formula 1 will walk away from the sport if the environmentally-friendly engines are adopted from 2013.

That is the view of Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, who reckons the planned move into smaller, turbo engines from 2013 will only be bad for grand prix racing.

"I'm anti, anti, anti, anti moving into this small turbo four formula," Ecclestone told the Australian Associated Press.

"We don't need it and if it's so important it's the sort of thing that should be in saloon car racing.

"The rest of it is basically PR - it's nothing in the world to do with Formula 1. These changes are going to be terribly costly to the sport.

"I'm sure the promoters will lose a big audience and I'm quite sure we'll lose TV."

The F1 boss admitted he was "at loggerheads" with FIA president Jean Todt over the matter.

"He's not a promoter and he's not selling Formula 1. to be honest. Jean and I are a little bit at loggerheads over this engine. I don't see the reason for it.

"We had the KERS system and this was supposed to solve the problem that Formula 1 is not green and now we've got something else."

Ecclestone also reckons the lower noise from smaller engines will make people lose interest in Formula 1.

"I meet people worldwide in all different walks of life - sponsors, promoters and journalists and I think there are two things that are really important for Formula 1," he said.

"One is Ferrari and second is the noise. People love and get excited about the noise. People who have never been to a Formula 1 race, when they leave you ask them what (they liked) and they say 'the noise'.

"I brought some Russian gentlemen to Singapore and I met them afterwards in Russia - it was the first race they'd ever been to and I said what was it that impressed you.

"I didn't even think about the noise and they said the most important thing was the noise - it's incredible, it really gets to you. It's unbelievable that even more so the women - the ladies love the noise."

[Autosport.com]

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: We may applaude Mr. Bernie
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:01:03 AM »
The engine change does not bother me, I just wish they would boost the power to about 1000 BHP. The best thing would be to go back to the old way, it must be xxxx cc, everything else is up to the designer. Today's engines have a unique sound, but years ago you had Cosworth V8, Ferrari V12, Matra V12, Alfa V12, Renault Turbo V6 at the same time. Quite a chorus, and each different from the others.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »

This is a very old story you are recycling BD, the new engine regs start 2014 not 2013 and it's a 6 cylinder and not a 4.  :confused:

The following was a statement issued by the FIA last year on 29th June (2011 that is, not 2012).  

Following a fax vote by its members, the World Motor Sport Council has ratified the engine regulations recently drawn up in consultation with the main stakeholders in Formula One. The new power plant will be a V6 1.6 turbo unit with energy recovery systems.

This new formula will come into effect as from the start of the 2014 FIA Formula One World Championship season.

As an historical fact this outburst from one Bernard Ecclestone may have convinced the FIA to change it's mind from 4 poppers to 6, but that's about the only real relevance, apart from being an illustration of Bernie's ultra manipulative grip on PR and media outlets around the F1 circus of course.  :D  
The fact that the FIA are not allowed to be promoters of F1 but must be rule makers and regulators only, by EU edict, seems to have purposely escaped Bernie's memory ;) when he drafted out this attack on Todt and the FIA.  :P  

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:23:41 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »
As old as the story is, it's still relevant. Enforcing politically correct minivan engines will seriously downgrade the sport. F1 has tried miniature powerplants twice before. There were the 1.5 liter engines of 61-65 and the turbos of the 1980's. Both were disasters and quickly done away with.

The FIA really doesn't belong in motorsports. One needs look no further than what's happening in endurance racing right now. The sooner some stands up to them and runs a series without them, the better.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 06:29:28 PM »

The FIA really doesn't belong in motorsports. One needs look no further than what's happening in endurance racing right now. The sooner some stands up to them and runs a series without them, the better.

Without the FIA Bernie would not be a multi billionaire and would not have pilfered the promoters rights to F1 - for an eternity for what now appears to be a song.  :nono:

The reason the EU forced the split between the FIA and the promoter was to ensure the series retained objectivity rather than be totally under the influence of a few interested parties. Bernie's view of the way forward is as always in monetary terms whilst the FIA has to take a more balanced view.

Smaller engines are a fact of life in motoring, just the same as the end of the space shuttle programe or the the demise of first steam and now deisel trains for electric. Life never stands still and motorsport never has either, so bring on the new era as far as I'm concerned.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 06:32:26 PM »

Without the FIA Bernie would not be a multi billionaire and would not have pilfered the promoters rights to F1 - for an eternity for what now appears to be a song.  :nono:

The reason the EU forced the split between the FIA and the promoter was to ensure the series retained objectivity rather than be totally under the influence of a few interested parties. Bernie's view of the way forward is as always in monetary terms whilst the FIA has to take a more balanced view.

Smaller engines are a fact of life in motoring, just the same as the end of the space shuttle programe or the the demise of first steam and now deisel trains for electric. Life never stands still and motorsport never has either, so bring on the new era as far as I'm concerned.

Quite right John.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 06:58:46 PM »
I wouldn't consider the 1.5 liter engines of 61-65 promoted
bad racing.The cars then had treaded tires and no wings and
were down right dangerous to drive.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »
Smaller engines aren't what's driving the audience away. The primary reason for that at the moment is the high costs of watching and attending, caused by the high fees Mr Ecclestone charges. He's just trying to pull the wool over our eyes one more time.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 03:30:15 AM »
Smaller engines aren't what's driving the audience away. The primary reason for that at the moment is the high costs of watching and attending, caused by the high fees Mr Ecclestone charges. He's just trying to pull the wool over our eyes one more time.

One of his specialties. Does it to the teams every time the Concorde comes up for renewal.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 05:11:50 AM »
I thought the Turbo's in the 80's where making enormous power, which required to be regulated, and thus clamp in those engine was given. Particularly may be mentioned the 1988 McLaren was producing about 1200hp from them, and others were close as well..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle