collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 524
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mclaren and Hamilton relations heading downhill  (Read 8471 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: Mclaren and Hamilton relations heading downhill
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 04:21:58 PM »
Martin is also denying a rumor that he asked Charlie if they could avoid Jenson's 5 place grid ding if they simply swapped his bad gearbox for the one in Lewis's car.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »
Seems standard stuff for a driver signed to a directly competing team for the next season.

I think a bigger problem for 'lippy Lew' is to take care not to pee off his race mechanics with his usual critical comments, both over the radio and in interviews. He's certainly not helped team harmony after the stunts he's pulled and comments made about his team this year.

Jens' reaction is probably more about the sulk Lewis got into during and after Spa over the runaway pole & win.  No one welcomes a sore loser beaten by a team decided alternate set up, don't suppose Lippy Lew would like Jens to dis him if he got the jump with the alternate set up, the one favoured by all the other front runners.  ::)

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:44:38 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »
Martin is also denying a rumor that he asked Charlie if they could avoid Jenson's 5 place grid ding if they simply swapped his bad gearbox for the one in Lewis's car.  ;)

Really?  Oh, that would be hilarious. 

As for excluding Lewis from anything to do with the 2013 car, that seems totally reasonable.  I don't think there is too much he could learn about this year's car though that Mercedes don't already know.  Of course he'll probably snoop around anyhow.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 05:55:24 PM »
If Hamilton have not made that blunder of a set up before qualifying none of this would have appeared. I got a feeling, they are beating the bush. Of course it will be hard for Lewis to let cope up with this situations, but except for one incidents, he has been behaving quite maturely. So I hope he will remain the same (With Lewis its a hard task to ask isn't it?)

I wish McLaren had picked Jensen instead of Alonso, that would have saved both of them a lot of trouble. I also have a feeling Lewis is leaving because he lost his McLaren Sweetheart crown to Jensen. I feel sorry for Jensen to have lost his prime, trying to make a grumpy Honda fast. while he could have been chasing titles, if he was provided a competitive car. Well better late than never..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:47:53 AM »
This is like a tape stuck on 'loop' when I have to start by saying I am not a Hamilton fan but this 'Lewis bashing' is just ridiculous.
He has chosen to change teams - of course he will not be welcome at McLaren meetings talking about future stategy.
He will no longer be Button's team mate - of course Button will not assist him win the WDC and of course he will 'buddy up' with his new team mate.

All of this is true of every driver that has (or ever will in the future) move from one team to another - irrespective of if the driver choses to move or is fired and irrespective of what team the driver is about to join.

I have never seen this kind of media speculation about any other driver move but when it is Hamilton there is rubbish everywhere. Such adverse media coverage could raise the assumption:- it's 'cos he's black, init?

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:57:50 AM »
You are right monty about the Lewis bashing 'loop'. Does that count for the 'loop' on Michael bashing too ?  :P  :tease:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »
This is like a tape stuck on 'loop' when I have to start by saying I am not a Hamilton fan but this 'Lewis bashing' is just ridiculous.
He has chosen to change teams - of course he will not be welcome at McLaren meetings talking about future stategy.
He will no longer be Button's team mate - of course Button will not assist him win the WDC and of course he will 'buddy up' with his new team mate.

All of this is true of every driver that has (or ever will in the future) move from one team to another - irrespective of if the driver choses to move or is fired and irrespective of what team the driver is about to join.

I have never seen this kind of media speculation about any other driver move but when it is Hamilton there is rubbish everywhere. Such adverse media coverage could raise the assumption:- it's 'cos he's black, init?

No, it's because he's a spoiled, ungrateful, self-important, poorly managed, little prat.  I don't think most people would care if he was purple.  When a WDC leaves a better team for a worse team for more money, it is clear his priority has changed from winning to pocketing...IMO

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:15:08 PM »
No, it's because he's a spoiled, ungrateful, self-important, poorly managed, little prat.  I don't think most people would care if he was purple.  When a WDC leaves a better team for a worse team for more money, it is clear his priority has changed from winning to pocketing...IMO

Don't hold back, say what you really think.....and of course you feel that to be equally true of Kimi, Alonso, Schumacher, Button,,,,,,, - all the people that moved from good teams to teams that were not performing well at the time.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:23:58 PM by monty »

vintly

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 03:16:09 PM »

Is it that hyped up? I think it's a worthy newspiece. I know what you mean about the general hoo-haa in the press whenever he says or does anything, but I'm interested, what exactly is it about this article?

Hats off to Ross Brawn I say - kudos for luring him away from a great team, great car and lots of cash, for... um... lots of cash. And hats off also for the simple bravery of hiring Hamilton.

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 04:17:38 PM »
Don't hold back, say what you really think.....and of course you feel that to be equally true of Kimi, Alonso, Schumacher, Button,,,,,,, - all the people that moved from good teams to teams that were not performing well at the time.

Not so quick Mr Monty

Kimi was fired from Ferrari - coming back to Renault was his only choice at the time.  Schumi brought Brawn and more importantly Byrne, along with half the engineers from Benetton to Ferrari - it was really the brightest move he could make.  Alonso was fired by Mclaren (mutually agreed to part ways - sure) because they decided to go with their boy Lewis.  Button - Flavio fired him, so he HAD to move from Renault to BAR.

Not sure how getting fired is quite the same as leaving a team that is offering to extend your contract for millions of dollars.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:30:05 PM by scott »

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 05:36:40 PM »
I think his quote about building a competitive team and car like Schumacher did at Ferrari is telling. He was obviously no longer getting from McLaren what he wanted. Merc has  Brawn, a lot of good technical people who didn't really figure in this year's car, and money, at least as much as Macca. And they were willing to give up Schumacher to get him. I think he's figuring if the 2013 car isn't quite there, the 2014 car will be.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 07:21:30 PM »
I think his quote about building a competitive team and car like Schumacher did at Ferrari is telling. He was obviously no longer getting from McLaren what he wanted. Merc has  Brawn, a lot of good technical people who didn't really figure in this year's car, and money, at least as much as Macca. And they were willing to give up Schumacher to get him. I think he's figuring if the 2013 car isn't quite there, the 2014 car will be.

Brawn is really good, but not sure he's enough.  Schumacher would never have won a title at Ferrari without the whole team behind him (including Byrne) and the most gruelling testing schedule on the grid.  I'm not sure what Lewis thinks he's going to bring to Mercedes to 'build'.  He has no chance to test anymore than anyone else, and it sounds like he's going to be so tied up doing personal appearances for his own brand that he may have little left over for the team.   :DntKnw:

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »

More whinging from Mr. H. Too funny.  Wonder what inspired him to check if Jenson was following him on Sunday night to begin with?

PlanetF1:

Lewis Hamilton has been forced to backtrack after accusing Jenson Button of unfollowing him on Twitter only to realise he wasn't following him to start with.

Hamilton, who is off to Mercedes next season, created a stir on Sunday night when he accused his McLaren team-mate Button of disrespecting him on the social network website.

"Just noticed @jensonbutton unfollowed, thats a shame. After 3 years as teammates, I thought we respected one another but clearly he doesn't," Hamilton said on his Twitter feed on Monday.

"Funny thing is, we are STILL teammates! All good tho, I plan on giving this team & fans all I got til I cross the finish line in brazil!!!."

An hour later, though, Hamilton was forced into a U-Turn in front of his 1.1 million followers as it turns out Button never followed him to start with.

"My bad, just found out Jenson never followed me. Don't blame him! Need to be on Twitter more," he Tweeted.

vintly

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 08:57:02 PM »
'Need to be on Twitter more.'

No Lewis no! You need to be on Twitter LESS!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle