collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 359
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mclaren and Hamilton relations heading downhill  (Read 8470 times)

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Mclaren and Hamilton relations heading downhill
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »

Yes Lewis with the extra income you will get from selling your own image rights you can afford to have someone else do your tweeting.  ;)   Oh, and they can also do your bleating as well.  :D  

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »
I'd argue Lewis needs to pay more attention when he's on Twitter (and understand that sometimes even an unfollowing after a genuine follow may only portend a technical glitch), then he'd avoid these sorts of blunders however much or little time he was on Twitter. For that matter, paying more attention in other matters wouldn't hurt.

The whole "Lewis is moving for money" is the endpoint of a narrative that's been going on for at least 3 years now. Ever since Lewis started sulking after McLaren produced the poor 2009 car, people have been wondering why it was quite so bad. Initially there were lots of hypotheses, as you'd expect from a driver who'd attracted massive media interest since before F1. Gradually ideas were narrowed down as things like signing XIX as an overarching management team (it works for Jenson, but only because he has a day-to-day manager who understands how he thinks and isn't in it for the money) and the bad attitude continued to erupt at odd times after the 2010 and 2011 offerings proved somewhat better. When the press heard that the initial McLaren offer had been rejected on the grounds of trophies and image rights (neither of which are subjects McLaren are noted for permitting much leeway upon), that pinned the reason in the media's heads onto money - a motive for which they've always had particular contempt.

Other drivers have moved down the team competitive ladder for a variety of reasons - driver market not facilitating accustomed position (Kimi), assurance that "downward" team would be a better fit (Fernando), a desire to revitalise the team's fortunes and/or be part of the team legend (Michael to Ferrari), trusting the "downward" team will provide a good welcome back (Michael to Mercedes, and to some extent Kimi), complex contract consequences (Button to Benetton), mistaken belief "downward" team would actually be an improvement in performance (Button's attempt to go to Williams)... What they all have in common is they have some sort of sporting basis or, at least, a sense that someone else influenced the decision being made in that direction. People can't help other people's actions, and sporting considerations have always been considered acceptable reasons for moving teams, even when the considerations in question turn out to be mistakes.

There's an interesting alternative hypothesis in this week's Autosport. Basically, it suggests that what we are seeing is not due to a thirst for money on Lewis' part, but a fundamental disagreement in modus operandi for Lewis and McLaren. Lewis is not one to overrule his team, even when he thinks it's being completely stupid about something. McLaren is a team that has a lot of momentum through its systems, but requires a certain amount of direction from a driver carrying the strength of conviction to prevent system-based mistakes from being made. This was Kovalainen's error on going to McLaren (he didn't take enough control of the situation, got put on a fitness/nutrition regime not especially suited to him, and wilted until he left for Caterham). Perhaps, in different form, it may also be Lewis' (in that if he'd told McLaren what needed doing, instead of trying to convince McLaren all the time, the situation might not have fallen apart). Of course, if that's the reason, a decline in relationship between driver and team makes even more sense than usual.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 01:03:38 PM »
Geez Ali, I wish you would stop being so right ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »
Ali seems to have nailed it.

I can only offer old advice to Hamilton - remember that too many Tweets make a Twat

:D

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »

I can only offer old advice to Hamilton - remember that too many Tweets make a Twat

:DD :DD :DD
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »

:DD :DD :DD

Just for interest's sake....

Twat is one of those words that doesn't translate well to Canadian english (can't speak for the USA) - it is actually much much worse than the way it is used in the UK. 

Fanny is a word that apparently is much much worse in the UK than the way we use it in Canada.

For the record, a 'twat' in Canada is the same thing you guys call a 'fanny'.  :DD :DD

In Canada a fanny is your behind - boys and girls both have them.

Offline Ian

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 06:40:03 PM »
In the North of England 'twat' is a fanny too Scott.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 12:11:04 AM »
The version of the joke I heard was "Someone who writes silly stuff on Twitter is a Twit". I believe this version is unlikely to offend anyone, except possibly Lewis.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 12:51:22 AM »
In the USA a twat is something in the front of a girl below a race
so it would be highly demeaning to be called a twat here,in Ky anyway

The one English slang word I like is calling someone a
w**ker[short and right to the point
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »
There's an even better English version of that Dare.....F**kwit

Offline Monty

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »
 Sorry, no intention of causing offence.

Tw*t has the same meaning in the UK but it is also accepted as deliberatly offensive way of calling someone an idiot. It just works so well when talking about excessive Tweeting.

The Canadian's acceptance of 'fanny' caused me and a few friends massive trouble when a good friend visited the UK.
We were in a pub (bar) and a gorgeous girl walked across the room wearing incredibly tight trousers (pants), so tight that there was a very visible camel-toe (I do not think this needs translating) and our dear Canadian friend expressed (loudly) "Wow, look at the fanny on that!"

One look at the size of her extremely angry boyfriend and I immediately took control of the situation.......
RUN! I shouted to my friends.

Offline Scott

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 04:10:18 PM »
Sorry, no intention of causing offence.

None taken...I just was pointing out some cultural differences.   :D

David

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »
WTF happened to this thread???  :DD :DD :DD

Offline Ian

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:35 PM »
It got good Dave.  :good:

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 08:45:47 AM »

It's turned into a good old fashioned boy's swear fest, hasn't it David.    :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:19:59 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle