collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 597
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Honda may have new regs F1 engine already designed  (Read 2442 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Honda may have new regs F1 engine already designed
« on: October 31, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »

But are waiting to push the button on comeback.                  

I guess if they have to choose a partner either McLaren or Williams would make the most sense to get some serious results.

Honda insiders have confirmed that the Japanese firm is contemplating a return to Formula 1 as an engine  supplier. It is claimed by many in Japan that a new 1.6 litre V6 engine has already been designed, but that the manufacturer will wait until its new for 2014 two litre turbo Formula Nippon / GT500 engine is ready before taking the F1 project further.

“The rumours are not unfounded but we have not decided anything, we are constantly evaluating the situation” explained a company source. Many in Europe are already connecting the McLaren team to a Honda engine supply recreative the very succesful partnership of the late 1980′s.

Just designing and developing and engine means little however, Honda has a long record of F1 projects, many of which never took to the track. Complete cars were built and tested around the early 1990′s as well as in 1995 and 1999, though none of them ever took part in a race, indeed Honda is known for building projects in its top secret facility at Tochigi to improve its technical understanding.

The engine used in the new WTCC Civic was already running on the test bench before the idea of WTCC participation was even discussed in the firm, which is by its own admission under pressure from European dealers to take part in more international motorsport. Whilst the WTCC engine meets the World Rally Championship and R5 regulations and the championship looks very strong with Citroen, Mini, Hyundai, Ford and Volkswagen all offering cars the firm confirmed that it had no interest in international rallying and would not build a World Rally Car.

Racecar-engineering.com, 23rd Oct.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

Re: Honda may have new regs F1 engine already designed
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »
I'm a touch sceptical.  Would they really go so far in designing an engine with the rules still as up in the air as they are?  I know that 1.6 V6 engines have been discussed, but there has been a lot of doubt expressed about them recently.

There's also the issue of Honda and follow through.  They have a history of not seeing their Formula 1 projects through to fruition.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 09:54:39 PM »

With the money Renault, Merc and Ferrari have put into developing the 2014 new spec F1 engines there is no way back. Even Bernie has admitted as much during interviews at the Indian GP, he's now fighting to kill the electric only pit lane element instead. Renault have even revealed their new unit to Racecar Engineering mag:-

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/renault-reveals-2014-f1-engine/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:57:01 PM »
That adds more credibility to the Honda story in that case.  Thanks for the link.

I still have concerns about their follow through though, but that said, a partnership with McLaren would make sense, given that I'm sure that McLaren are not really too keen to continue to be a Mercedes customer team.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 03:17:29 AM »
Hey maybe they'll run a team...I hear Craig Pollack is available.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 09:37:51 AM »
Hey maybe they'll run a team...I hear Craig Pollack is available.

:DD :DD :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 12:30:50 PM »
If they are the least bit serious they would need an engine ready for test already to have any chance - therefore, the rumour could be true.
I have been saying for ages that for the new Turbo era there will be a McLaren / Honda. Maybe I will be proved right (for once!).

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »
I wonder about the rumors that McLaren would start building their own engines.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 04:43:02 AM »
Seems like a few mad car fanatics(which I very much like) are in Honda factory, who keep up coming with every possible engine they could made.

How come you made an engine before you firm confirmation, and according to the news not even in table? :swoon:

I would love to see these fellows return to F1. But for heaven's sake no earth car please..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle