collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 365
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Views on the British GP  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Alonsofan

Views on the British GP
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:12:25 PM »
Thumbs up  :good:

Rosberg - Great win if a little lucky with two main rivals retiring
Webber - So close, great drive Mark
Alonso - Maximised all he could with Vettel not finishing
Hamilton - Great recovery drive almost to the podium
Vettel - Great drive up to lap 42 when it all got even better :D mwahaha
Ricciardo - Good drive to impress potential new employers

Thumbs down
Pirelli - Sort it out, quick and that about sums up the downs for me

Just a point for discussion/conspiracy.... doesn't anyone else notice that Webber goes so much faster when Vettel is not in the race anymore?

Offline Dare

Re: Views on the British GP
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:30:55 PM »
Rosberg-little lucky but a win is a win

Alonso-does great things with a good car,imagining him
           in a great car is scarey

Daniel R-I think he'll be Vettel's new teamie,I can't see Vettel
              allowing Kimi or a comparable driver

Webber,Hamilton,and Webber-having great drives after
                                             suffering bad luck

British GP-I have to disagree with Ali,I thought it was one of
                better races this year

partial thumbs down-Pirilli,was it the tires or the curbs?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:29:14 AM »
Probably one of the best races I have seen in the last while.
Tires and curbs were an issue that had a huge impact on the race outcome, but there was great passing and lots of strategy being played out on track.

I am a tad miffed with Lotus for keeping Kimi out on old tires in the last stages when he should have been pulled in for fresh boots with 10 laps left as he quickly became a movable chicane for the leaders.
This is the second time Lotus have hung him out to dry with poor tires and instead of finishing in good standings, he drops like a stone in the last lap or two.

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:27:27 AM »
Can't disagree with any of the previous comments.
My conspiracy radar also twitched when Webber had a terrible start and didn't seem to have much chance until Vettel stopped  :crazy:
I also feel DiResta's efforts are worthy of a  :good:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »
Cheers to:

Webber - Overcame a bad start & a broken front wing to come within .7 sec. of a win.

Di Resta - Fantastic run from the tail of the grid. He proved that he is a driver to watch in the future.

Vergne - Made a great save when his tire let go. He kept the car pointed forward and dove into the pits while avoiding the other cars. A cheer to Kimi & Grosjean for maintaining control while driving through the shrapnel from Vergne's shredding Pirelli.

The Red Arrows - Outstanding!

Jeers to:

The FIA - For their mishandling of the entire tire issue.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 02:16:53 PM »
Those of you who were in chat while I was there yesterday will be surprised to discover I was disgusted with the event. I'd go so far as to say it doesn't meet my definition of a "race". A race has everyone trying their best to be fastest, all competitors having a reasonably equal chance and (eventually) has a winner who deserves the win, or at least has a valid claim on the title. The British Grand Prix failed on all counts.

Heroes

Mark Webber - fought back from a lousy start to be the moral victor of the race. Good, sensible driving involving honourable competition, and complete honesty regarding the tyres. F1 needs more Mark Webbers.

Paul di Resta - great fightback after not eating enough cake on Saturday lunch.

The marshals - for their efficient work clearing up the mess. Perfect advert for next week's marshal training taster session at Silverstone.

Zeros (which would have been a lot longer had I felt like it)

Race stewards - for failing to levy the normal 20-second penalty on Rosberg for ignoring yellow flags. Mark Webber was the rightful winner of the British Grand Prix.

Pirelli - if it's been told once that steel-belt construction is incompatible with serious racing, it's been told a hundred times.

The crowd - for cheering Vettel's retirement. Not sporting, people.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 02:52:03 PM »
I hadn't thought of your point about Rosberg, but you are right, if they are going to give consistant penalties, why not for Mercedes as well?  (plus I would have been very pleased to have Kimi move up a spot and Webber win the race...not my picks, but still).

I heard Mallya mention that it was DiResta that was underweight, not the car.  Find that a bit hard to believe.  1.5kg is more than missing lunch.

I would say some of the marshalls had the right idea, but some others didn't.  Far more important to pick up than the rubber were the steel bits from the belt that exploded, and the carbon shards from bodywork that it took with it.  I saw one guy picking up little bits of rubber - leave it for the cool down lap at the end.

I would have cheered Vettel's retirement also, but not really because I was happy to see him unhappy, but because it changed an almost sure outcome of the race.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 04:37:56 PM »
Vettel's retirement being cheered actually says a lot about how people perceive him.  Normally, I'd agree that it would be a bad thing, but his behaviour off, and on, the track, particularly this year, has rather invited that sort of response in my opinion.

It wasn't much of a race until the last 11 laps.  As usual, there were too many easy DRS passes, and the race was marred by those tyre failures.  I like unreliability in F1, but I don't like dangerous tyre deflations/explosions.  That sort of thing ought not to be happening, but I don't believe the fault exclusively lies with Pirelli.

The last 11 laps were electric though.  First, a technical failure, I couldn't believe it!  Somebody's car actually went wrong!  Even better, it was Vettel's!  He still got away with it though, as neither Alonso, nor Raikkonen, had enough pace with their cars this weekend to be able to really take advantage of Vettel's retirement, so he was still lucky to a certain extent.

Webber's charge through the field, followed by Alonso, was also wonderful to watch.  There were some great passes into Copse without DRS assistance, and those really were worth seeing.  Great stuff.

I really did want Webber to win.  He was unlucky at the start, and really came back very well.  It's a shame the race hadn't been a little bit longer.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 03:55:58 AM »
Sorry Alia, I have to disagree about Webber deserving to win. Perhaps Rosberg should have been penalized perhaps not, but Mark has been making bad starts for many seasons now, and still hasn't fixed it. If it's a car issue he needs to start making a fuss about why it's always his car and not Vettel's, if it is his issue he needs to fix it.
Lonny

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 11:29:33 PM »
Sorry Alia, I have to disagree about Webber deserving to win. Perhaps Rosberg should have been penalized perhaps not, but Mark has been making bad starts for many seasons now, and still hasn't fixed it. If it's a car issue he needs to start making a fuss about why it's always his car and not Vettel's, if it is his issue he needs to fix it.

Ignoring yellow flags has always been a 20-second time penalty at minimum when the sanction has been levied post-race. Without an indication of when in the race Rosberg fell foul of the regulations, it's not clear if penalising him before that point was an option. Despite Webber's poor start, he was fewer than 20 seconds behind Rosberg at the end. Therefore Webber should have won the race - bad start and all.

Mark would certainly be well-advised to work on his starts, but this was not a race he lost because of a bad start. This was a race he lost due to the FIA's unwillingness to apply the rules correctly.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 03:37:48 AM »
And if he had made even a decent start, losing only a couple of places, Rosberg's situation wouldn't have mattered, Mark would have passed him earlier, penalty or not. The FIA has always been inconsistent in how it applies rules and penalties, Mercedes just seems to have replaced Ferrari as the teacher's pet.
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »
I realise that we do not know exactly how an F1 car start procedure works but I know enough to know that the initial start is; fixed revs, drop the first clutch lever - everything is pre-programmed during the practice launches.
I will not accept that Mark is regularly failing to hold the car at a pre-determined rev level and let go of a lever. Therefore, the bad starts (excluding poor positioning after initial launch) must be down to how the team have set the car up. Yes I know this plays more into the conspiracy theory but I honestly believe that this is how biased the RBR team are to making sure Vettel always has the advantage.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 03:09:55 PM »

Ignoring yellow flags has always been a 20-second time penalty at minimum when the sanction has been levied post-race. Without an indication of when in the race Rosberg fell foul of the regulations, it's not clear if penalising him before that point was an option. Despite Webber's poor start, he was fewer than 20 seconds behind Rosberg at the end. Therefore Webber should have won the race - bad start and all.

Mark would certainly be well-advised to work on his starts, but this was not a race he lost because of a bad start. This was a race he lost due to the FIA's unwillingness to apply the rules correctly.

Whatever Rosberg said about yellow flags, the FIA had access to his telemetry which instantly told them if he was 'speeding' through yellows or not.  He might have felt he didn't slow down enough, but the FIA felt he did.

It's certainly an odd situation where a contestant believes they're cheating when in fact they're not, but intent isn't enough to penalize someone.

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 03:48:33 PM »
Whatever Rosberg said about yellow flags, the FIA had access to his telemetry which instantly told them if he was 'speeding' through yellows or not.  He might have felt he didn't slow down enough, but the FIA felt he did.

It's certainly an odd situation where a contestant believes they're cheating when in fact they're not, but intent isn't enough to penalize someone.

If the FIA felt Nico had slowed down enough for the yellow flags, then he shouldn't have received a reprimand anyway - in that case he should have received no penalty whatsoever. A reprimand is a penalty, just not the normal one for this type of offence.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »

If the FIA felt Nico had slowed down enough for the yellow flags, then he shouldn't have received a reprimand anyway - in that case he should have received no penalty whatsoever. A reprimand is a penalty, just not the normal one for this type of offence.

I guess you can penalise intent after all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle