collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 133
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11271 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Enjoy lap from 2014 Mercesdes F1 V6  (Read 8921 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Enjoy lap from 2014 Mercesdes F1 V6
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »

Monza lap with new 1.6 litre turbocharged V6 Formula One Power Unit on song  :yahoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebpkJXJ7CFo#at=58

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:09:57 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Enjoy lap from 2014 Mercesdes F1 V6
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »
Judging from the sound & the two disembodied front wheels, I guess that Merc will be running a zero radius turn riding mower next season.  :lazy:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:50:23 AM »
For all the haters, give this a read.

http://en.espnf1.com/blogs/motorsport/story/119567.html

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 02:57:17 PM »
Hater? Really? It's just that I love F1. I loved IndyCar for most of my life, too. Now, I just can't warm up to those mewing little muffled mini-motors that they are trying to pass off on fans. The F1 engines will be worse. They will be smaller & rev limited.

Yes, I do hate to see F1 ruined the way IndyCar has been. The engines F1 have now are much better. The ones from a few years ago, before rev limits, were much, much better. Why go even further in the wrong direction?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »
I'm no hater of the new sound.  Couldn't care that much, as I'm sure it will be loud, and except those who want to compare it to the sound now, or the sound with the V10's, won't think they aren't insanely powerful engines. 

HOWEVER...I am not a fan of putting a big turbo on a little motor.  I would much rather they spend R&D on getting more out of smaller motors, without a turbo.  Go back to the V10's or even V12's, but cap them out at 1.4l or something and turn them UP!  All those tiny little bits screaming around at a barely controlled explosion - that's what I would like to see AND hear.  The Tech...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 09:20:45 PM »
To me the entertainment value is not in the sound. Sure when at the track the sound makes a difference, but how often do you get to go to a race?

Indycar this season and last season have been better than any since I have started watching. Yes at the races I have been to I was disappointed by the sound. But when you are watching a race on the TV, who really cares?

Personally I can't wait for the technical side of the new engines, the development battles, the mind boggling stats of the energy recovery, and of course the spectacular failures on track  :good:

The sound may not be the same pitch or as loud. But the new engines will greatly improve the show, and add another dimension to the racing.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 01:37:51 PM »
It sounded like a synthesised lawnmower - no treble, very little bass and a kind of electronic "buzz" dominating the middle tones. Hope it sounds better when attached to an actual car (being surrounded in carbon fibre can change the acoustic balance some).

The Honda V6 to which the ESPN writer alluded had a good balanced sound across the aural spectrum. The Mercedes engine in the YouTube video does not. Plus the Honda had no silly buzzing, but rather a pleasing mechanical tone.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:40:52 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Is it I am overly optimistic or in someway I am missing the whole point? Because every time, there is a change in the engine regulation, I feel excited, because the engineers will have new parameters to play with, new technologies will embark. And believe I am more than excited about these power units, because I think these are the most complex & advanced power units ever being embraced by the sports. Being able to produce that much of a power from that tiny engine with that sort of fuel efficiency is simply amazing, a great feat for engineering.

The concern about the engine for me is the cost, because it will definitely make life difficult for the mid-field teams. And also the cost of testing will make life miserable for teams like Williams, Lotus, Force India, Marussia & Caterham. Also engine failure will hurt their prize money, and it might effect their sponsorship commitments.

And for the noise of the engine I have only this thing to say, moaning is not the only thing, if it is loud it is good, but if it is muffled it does not in anyway mean you are not having a good time  ;)
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »
Not sure what the intent of totally changing the engine specification is, can't think of any real improvement at all. It will certainly increase everyone's cost, and if I recall correctly that was a major concern to Bernie at one time. Maybe he was afraid that some of the money would not end up in his pocket.
As far as the different engine sound is concerned, I could not care less, if all you heard was a whoosh as the cars went by that would be okay as far as I am concerned. Why is noise good?
While technology is a good thing, I miss the days when an actual grease stained mechanic would sweat over a hot engine changing spark plugs in the pit lane as the rest of the field went by. That mechanic has now been replaced by 50 computer techs that you rarely see.
I am not going to get excited again about motor racing until the tyre specs get revised. Junk the soft and supersoft rubber, with the associated marble nonsense and idiotic tyre management strategies. Stop fooling with engine specs and mandate one set of tyres for the race instead.
Pitstops for emergency repairs only.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 01:05:21 PM »
The intent of changing the engine specification was to make the sport look greener and emphasise fuel conservation. The series organisers forgot that sportscars were about 5 years ahead on this path and that F1 was never going to win marketing itself like this as a result. F1 would have been better off forging a distinctive path, rather than making itself an "endurance racing lite".
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 02:55:00 AM »
If the engine sound is really all that important, Harley Davidson should be the sole engine supplier.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »
I think there is several difference between an endurance race and F1 race. As F1 cars are able to create a lot of down-force, they are able to go through the track faster than anything else. Also there it is not the engine but also gear-box and many other components which make this not only unique as well as the very best of motor-sports.

Now getting it in line with WEC will make things much interesting for both competitions, as we all know by now Ferrari is considering a project involving LMP1 class from 2015. Now there is much to be done about it, but at least opportunity has emerged, so we can be at least  positive about it. Who knows we might see some manufacturer's from Le Mans may be interested in being an F1 engine supplier.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
If the engine sound is really all that important, Harley Davidson should be the sole engine supplier.

:DD :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »

I'd say Keith Black. Notice the device on top of the intake manifold. It achieves forced induction without stuffing a cork in the exhaust. It also has almost zero lag. It's called a supercharger, or blower.  :P

― Bob Dylan

vintly

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »
As long as the lap times don't come down, I don't care about a slight change in sound. It's not as if they'll suddenly sound like tractors.

Speed before sound.

Next up - danger. I want exploding engines, near-eath experiences and serious crashes please. Bernie, you listening?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle