collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 565
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Double Points Confirmed  (Read 14210 times)

Offline Irisado

Double Points Confirmed
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:08:07 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25859321

I've made my displeasure at this known previously, so I'll be brief and just say this.  It's clear that the teams don't like it, so to not protest against it just because they are, to all intents and purposes, intimidated by Ecclestone, highlights everything that is wrong with the way in which this sport is currently run.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:18:41 PM by Irisado »

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

Re: Double Points Confirmed
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:24:59 PM »
Stupid - just for TV.  Bernie's a jerk, but the coffee's not bad. 

Clarification...we aren't getting an auto double up for the GG, right Dare? 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:58:11 PM »
I haven't found anybody who will justify or praise this absurd point system, not even the so called Bernie's men in the F1 press, who would defend his outrageous activity with some blabbering, and which goes to show how stupid, worthless and unpopular this decision is  |-(
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:47:20 PM »
It's as totally pathetic an idea as finishing the season in Abu Dhabi, Brazil is undoubtedly the best venue for the last race.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »
Actually, I think it's very appropriate to end with Abu Dhabi. F1 will now be a series with low level, pretend race cars with a low level, pretend scoring system. What better than to end on a low level, pretend circuit?

Besides, if somebody does get the nerve to call for a protest boycott of the last race, nobody would really mind missing Yas Marina. Nobody would want to miss Interlagos.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 12:31:59 PM »
Besides, if somebody does get the nerve to call for a protest boycott of the last race, nobody would really mind missing Yas Marina. Nobody would want to miss Interlagos.

I'd love to see that.  The teams could do a 1982 style boycott of the race :D.  That would mean that the season would effectively finish in Brazil, and all would be right with the world.

I still think that the best outcome would be that whoever is leading the championship going into the Abu Dhabi round is ahead by 51 points.  That would really rub Ecclestone's nose in it.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

vintly

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 01:05:51 PM »
Seb has won three of the last five races in Abu Dhabi, and would have made it four if he hadn't started from the back a couple of seasons ago. Based on recent history the plan is likely to backfire even if he isn't already 51 ahead, perish the thought…

Pardon? What was that? Red Bull might not have the best car this year??? Hahahahahaha that's a good one  :D :D :D :D

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 03:31:19 PM »
Not my personal views but I thought I would share them with you.

Alongside the already contentious decision to award double points at the last race, an FIA source confirmed that the new scoring system will award half points at the first race, one third points at the third race and ‘some old sh*t Bernie’s made up in desperation’ at other races during the season.

Although exact details have yet to be released, it’s believed that at the Monaco GP all points will have a zero added to the end to reflect what happens to bar prices when the F1 fans arrive in town, at the US race there will be a ‘wall of points’ and the top three will score according to which number they can hit with their podium Champagne corks, while for the Spanish Grand Prix all available points will be awarded directly to any TV viewers who can stay awake to the end.

The new points system is now certain following this week’s meeting of team bosses at which everyone was shown a picture of some money and told to keep their f***ing mouths shut. Probably.

Source Sniff Petrol
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »
Why not give 1 point for first and1/10 points from
2 to 10.Wou'dn't change a thing who wins the title but
would give the illusion of a close season.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Irisado

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26071434

The saga continues.  Ecclestone's even more ridiculous plan to extend the number of double points races comes under fire from just about everyone.  The man is in total denial and completely out of touch.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 06:14:19 AM »
World wide TV audiences for F1 are falling, in part because it's moving to pay channels, but Bernie feels the huge drop this past year was because Vettel clinched before the last 2 races, COTA and Brasil. Those races normally draw very well. If the WDC goes down to the wire, more people watch. Double points for the last 2, 3, 4 races keeps the championship in doubt. Just guarding the old income stream as usual.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 03:09:07 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26071434

The saga continues.  Ecclestone's even more ridiculous plan to extend the number of double points races comes under fire from just about everyone.  The man is in total denial and completely out of touch.

If Bernie just implemented popular opinion, then CVC wouldn't need him.

I'm not saying that all of Bernie's ideas are winning ideas, just that he has to have a steady stream of 'new' ideas to keep his job.  To be fair, he has gone back on ideas that are universally reviled (such as the medal system, which I'm still sure he would implement if he could)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »
I have a bit better plan brewing in my mind. Why don't they apply for the whole second half of the season. That way t may eliminate any early advantage of a team, as this has been a huge regulation change.

At times there were point system where the best results of two halves where accumulated to decide the overall winner, so this may keep people as well as the teams interested till the last.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 07:57:28 PM »
Forget the points, pay the winners cash.  Half for the driver, half for the team.  :crazy: :crazy:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 08:02:01 PM »
Forget the points, pay the winners cash.  Half for the driver, half for the team.  :crazy: :crazy:

Interesting... so the teams and drivers are racing for some sort of Big Prize?

Of course, since the FIA is French so they might need to translate it.  Anyone know what French for 'Big Prize' is?   :crazy:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle