collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 369
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Crowdfund Caterham F1  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Wizzo

Crowdfund Caterham F1
« on: November 09, 2014, 02:05:48 PM »
The Caterham F1 team are doing a crowdfunding thing to get them on the grid at Abu Dhabi. There are some great F1 items to own, good luck to them.

https://www.crowdcube.com/caterham/

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Jericoke

Re: Crowdfund Caterham F1
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 02:22:54 PM »
Cristian Horner things this is a terrible idea:

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/318731/horner-crowdfunding-shouldn-t-be-allowed/

He says that fans shouldn't pay for an F1 team.

I don't even know how to respond to that, aside from saying that I hope Ricciardo leaves and associates with a team with a modicum of class.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »
Frankly, I think the idea is little short of brilliant.  I hope with all of my heart that it works.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »
I used to really like Horner, he came across as a sensible guy doing a good job.  Why he feels the need to even share his opinion on this is beyond me.

If Caterham shows that there are enough fans to put it on the grid at Abu Dhabi, then all the power to them.  I might even go dig out my credit card.

Just had a look and as of 4pm, they are almost at 50% with over £1m so far.    :yahoo: :yahoo:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:07:31 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 03:18:04 PM »
Perhaps Horner hasn't realised that fans indirectly pay for F1 anyway.

If Williams done the same their budget would probably exceed Ferrari's budget. I think this is a great idea and I've added my support.

Wiz
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 07:59:20 PM »
 I think it's a cool idea from Caterham and wish it success.  :good:

I'm wondering though whether Horner ran it past his boss Mateschitz before going public, :confused: this crowdfunding is just the sort of novel idea Red Bull love. 

- In fact I can see Dietrich stepping in to give a final helping hand, in a blaze of publicity of course,  ;) when Caterham fall a couple of hundred thou short of the total.  :D 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:02:37 PM »
What's the difference in getting help from
crowd funding our a sponsor?The bank account
can't tell where it came from.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 03:18:08 AM »
I think it's a cool idea from Caterham and wish it success.  :good:

I'm wondering though whether Horner ran it past his boss Mateschitz before going public, :confused: this crowdfunding is just the sort of novel idea Red Bull love. 

- In fact I can see Dietrich stepping in to give a final helping hand, in a blaze of publicity of course,  ;) when Caterham fall a couple of hundred thou short of the total.  :D

Certainly if crowdfunding had existed back then, Stoddart would still be running Minardi

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 07:46:19 AM »
Way back when, Dan Gurney attempted something like crowd funding. He founded All American Racing by advertising in enthusiast magazines for people to join, like joining a club. He would then use the money to go racing. As I recall, members got a t-shirt and a membership card. Of course there was no internet then so it was a more difficult and slow process.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »
Way back when, Dan Gurney attempted something like crowd funding. He founded All American Racing by advertising in enthusiast magazines for people to join, like joining a club. He would then use the money to go racing. As I recall, members got a t-shirt and a membership card. Of course there was no internet then so it was a more difficult and slow process.

Of course Gurney pioneered this approach!  I'm not surprised in the least!   :good:

Thanks for sharing

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 07:26:28 PM »

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/318731/horner-crowdfunding-shouldn-t-be-allowed/

I don't even know how to respond to that, aside from saying that I hope Ricciardo leaves and associates with a team with a modicum of class.

Ecclestone agrees, terrible for F1's image.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/bernie-ecclestone-slams-caterham-crowdfunding-efforts
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »

Ecclestone agrees, terrible for F1's image.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/bernie-ecclestone-slams-caterham-crowdfunding-efforts

I know that I'm often in Bernie's corner, but I guess he really is out of touch if he doesn't see the benefits of 'micro transactions'.  That's how Google, Facebook and Twitter are worth a zillion dollars.

Even Red Bull gets their money $2 at a time.  I don't see how they can downplay the importance of a lot of people spending a little money.

If this works for Caterham, it truly does open the flood gates for possibilities for F1.  Maybe someone will realize charging 500 million fans $1 to stream each race adds up to 10 billion dollars.

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 09:17:08 PM »
Even Red Bull gets their money $2 at a time.  I don't see how they can downplay the importance of a lot of people spending a little money.

lol...so true Jeri, so true.

Offline bo bruce

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 04:36:57 AM »
its probably already been stated here, but F1 is financially backed already.. except that it goes the 'bank' which then divvies out the 'winning$'... with Bernie getting his cut of course.
How supported? Fans attend races ($) fans watch on TV ($) pay for subscriptions ($) advertisers for those pay FOM ($) i'm sure ~ 

so of course having $$ go directly to a team, and by-passing the little dic(tator) he will be against it - to me, fan support is interesting to say the least!

tho i fear Ferrari would become the richest team, there is merit to the fans supporting the "underdog"  :)  and, isn't the new Brabham venture trying something similar?

then there's HAAS F1.. US.. i'm so hungry for a US team/driver, even tho i'm retired, i could add to their coffers enough to at least buy the mech's a round of donuts :)    i was Sooo bummed at Rossi losing out with Marussia's fail, but did he handle that well or what? what a pro!

hApPy tRaiLs

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 08:02:38 AM »
Teams have been selling $50 T-shirts online for years.  If they thought they could make a dent in their budgets, they would have focussed on merchandising long ago. 

It's one thing to do a crowd fund for £2m to get Caterham on the grid for the final race, but quite another to think that it could support a $300m+ Ferrari budget. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle