collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 383
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Change to grid format  (Read 5872 times)

Offline Andy B

Change to grid format
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »
One again Liberty are dropping hints at changing the grid format from staggered to maybe three or four cars side by side which I think will cause even more carnage than we have at times now.
Maybe they want fewer cars finishing the race?
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133859/f1-evaluating-grid-formation-change

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online cosworth151

Re: Change to grid format
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 08:47:44 PM »
That would make quali even more critical. The further back in the grid you are, the more likely to be taken out in the Turn 1 melee.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Robem64

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »
Not sure I want to see the front of a grid which looks like most of the motorways in the UK...gridlock will definitely be the operative name.

Are Liberty trying to bring us F1 Stock Car Racing?
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:53:21 AM »
After multiple shunts at each start for several races the FIA will then mandate rolling starts - job done for US F1 rights owners, American style races. URRRGH!!!!!!!
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »
The starting grid has been the same since I started watching, but they have done three abreast in the past, haven't they?

Or am i thinking of old Indy videos?

I don't really think that the start of the race is a big problem.  Personally, I miss the first corner red flag and the sprint back to the 't car'.  I can appreciate that was dangerous and expensive and overall a bad idea, but it was still fun to watch.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 06:31:11 PM »
Here you go, Jeri. The 1967 Dutch GP. Three abreast start.

Yes, I did pick this race because it was the debut of the Lotus 49-Ford Cosworth DFV  :yahoo:

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 08:05:45 PM »
That was the F1 I fell in love with. I think the grids in those days were actually 3-2-3.
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
Real great looking F1 cars, but by God weren't they death traps.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 10:06:16 PM »
You're right, Lonnie. Pause it about 7 seconds in and the grid can be seen that way.

You're right, too, Ian. They didn't even have seat belts or harnesses. It was thought to be safer to be thrown clear.
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 10:15:43 PM »
They would rather be smashed about than burned.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 03:38:37 AM »
The cars that started side by side were narrower than what we have today and three or four on the front of the grid will will make pole less important for the start drag race.
Rolling starts do little for me and if they did introduce that I'll be out of here and go and watch paint dry.
Is change needed for changes sake or is it just to say we are here and in charge now?
Let hope the team principals stand up and be counted this season.

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 08:57:59 AM »
It's worrying isn't it..... with all the problems F1 faces they come up with a potential change to the grid layout! Removing the stagger is possible and it would reward the guy with the best clutch control but any other layout is more or less physically impossible. The cars are too wide to have more than two abreast. Also I see this as another admission that they cannot see how to improve overtaking. They are basically trying to add to the excitement of the start because whoever gets away at the front will probably stay at the front!

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 05:29:59 PM »
It's been said on here many a time, the only way to improve overtaking is to cut the aero down.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 11:36:06 PM »
It's been said on here many a time, the only way to improve overtaking is to cut the aero down.

Mechanical grip should be king!

Online Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 03:07:02 PM »

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but I would like the impact on the sport to be discussed.

Mechanical grip comes from the tires and the suspension?  Given that the tires are standards, and I believe the suspension is regulated to the point where they're not standard, but the variation is less than in the engines.  Would that make F1 essentially a spec series if the chassis is irrelevant?

Or am I missing an aspect of mechanical grip?  Or are we suggesting that aerodynamicists are replaced by suspension engineers as the 'rock stars' of car design?

(I don't have a problem with the latter, just want to be clear)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle