collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 374
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Horner's lying through his teeth  (Read 904 times)

Offline rmassart

Horner's lying through his teeth
« on: December 07, 2021, 10:02:58 AM »
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/video.wolff-and-horner-react-to-hamilton-and-verstappen-battle-in-saudi-gp.1718349283995814023.html

In this interview Horner says the following starting at minute 7:

I don't know what Lewis was doing...Obviously Max lifted, I don't know whether he didn't want to pass him before the DRS line or whatever it was. You can hear he's lifted, no unusual brake pressure or anything like that from Max. So very strange to have Lewis drive directly up the back of the car.

Of course Lewis didn't want to pass him before the DRS line, given that the last time Max let him past Max dived down the inside and immediately re-took the lead again.  It's not like the DRS line is insignificant, which is why Red Bull also instructed Max to give the lead back "strategically". This statement is just so false from Horner.

But it gets worse, he then lies. Claiming Max did not break, when clearly the telemetry shows he did and which is why Max got a pointless additional 10s penalty from the stewards.

I don't know how he can stand there in all openness and just make those statements. It makes him look a fool. But I suppose he's used to that...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Horner's lying through his teeth
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 12:01:19 PM »
Think you've got the first controversial 'possible pass' incident confused with 2nd actual pass rmassart, the quick retake of the lead you describe happened after the shunt not prior to it.

Having said that the actual shunt between Max & Lewis was totally avoidable from all parties, Max, Lewis, Race control - and possibly even Mercedes crew.

Yes Max trangressed if he applied the brakes at all in that circumstance. However Lewis, who claims he knew nothing of the swap  :DntKnw:, clearly failed to do what any other driver would do when faced with a slowing competitor in front for no known reason; namely just overtake immediatly and ask team for story later on.

How many times have we seen cars having mechanical issues being overtaken without a moments thought or hesitation from the follower? In the hundreds I'd guess, so why the hesitation and down shifts from Lewis?  :confused: Buggered if I know - does anyone else?   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 12:24:33 PM »
Think you've got the first controversial 'possible pass' incident confused with 2nd actual pass rmassart, the quick retake of the lead you describe happened after the shunt not prior to it.

Oops, yeah you're right. Too much going on in that race for me to remember the order of events!! But of course you're not going to overtake your rival 100m before the DRS line. That would be plain dumb.

How many times have we seen cars having mechanical issues being overtaken without a moments thought or hesitation from the follower? In the hundreds I'd guess, so why the hesitation and down shifts from Lewis?  :confused: Buggered if I know - does anyone else?   

And how many times have we seen mechanical issues happen to a leader being chased by his championship rival 100m before the DRS line? There was lots to think about for Lewis in the few seconds before Max stepped on the brakes, and most of all it will be not give Max a DRS assisted pass.

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 12:35:19 PM »
I don't think enough has been made about Verstappen's steering inputs. Even my wife (watches F1 because she has no choice) noticed that Verstappen was in the middle of the track and was making small movements left and right. It was obviously intended to un-nerve Hamilton who had every right to be thinking WTF!! Hamilton took a cautious approach nad had no reason to believe that Verstappen would then also jump on the brakes.
I have said many times that Verstappen is wreckless and may kill someone. He made several attempts in this one race.
In any other race series he would have (and should have) been disqualified for causing an accident. There is no justification for slowing in the middle of the track other than a red flag incident. Allowing another car to pass (because you have broken the rules) does not require anything more than a lift off the gas. And of course that should be done when you are well off the racing line - not weaving around in the middle of the track! This would have been dangerous in a Kart race - it could have been deadly in an F1 race. If Hamilton had been looking down at his steering wheel or whatever he could have approached the 2.4g decelerating Red Bull at over 100mph!
A 10 second time penalty is pathetic!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 03:42:20 PM »
I don't think enough has been made about Verstappen's steering inputs. Even my wife (watches F1 because she has no choice) noticed that Verstappen was in the middle of the track and was making small movements left and right. It was obviously intended to un-nerve Hamilton who had every right to be thinking WTF!! Hamilton took a cautious approach and had no reason to believe that Verstappen would then also jump on the brakes.
I have said many times that Verstappen is wreckless and may kill someone. He made several attempts in this one race.

Max is on record that he likes for his opponents to see him as 'unpredictable'.  Given how many crashes he's tried to initiate that Hamilton just dodged, Max must have realized he was becoming predictable.  I agree that Hamilton clearly thought Max was 'up to something', and that passing Max was the single worst thing he could do that moment (if Max suddenly accelerated to the right mid pass, it would be Hamilton, as the passing car, 'causing the accident').

No one could have predicted Max would slam on the brakes.

I hope that in the last race of the season we get to see Max make a fool of himself, like Schumacher did in 1997 at Jerez.

PS, I love watching Damon Hill commenting on intentional crashes.  Maybe we can get Piquet Jr to weigh in too?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle