collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 510
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2021 Abu Dhabi Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 882 times)

Offline Jericoke

2021 Abu Dhabi Heroes and Zeroes
« on: December 12, 2021, 06:03:29 PM »
Second race in a row it's not the on track action that makes things exciting, but exciting it was!

Heroes
Max Verstappen.  Yes, he needed a lot of luck to get the win/championship, but he spent the whole season building to a place where he could take a lucky win.  He raced well and took the opportunities.  He got a bad start, and I believe that was due to nerves. I think most of the race he was driving with nerves.

Sergio Perez.  We've seen teammates take bad pit strategies to force the opponent's hand.  We've seen teammates put pressure on pursuing cars to keep them focused on holding station instead of getting ahead.  We've seen teammates make strong qualifying/starts to hold an opponent off the back of their teammate.  Rarely have see seen a teammate in the lead hold up second place 5 whole seconds in a single lap.  Bottas made the perfect teammate start in Jeddah, and Perez responded with the perfect teammate 'interference' lap.  He even quit the race to reduce the change of more safety cars.  I've never seen a teammate take the roll that seriously.

Lewis Hamilton.  It was a championship drive.  He was head and shoulders above the competition and his teammate.  He kept his distance from Max's shenanigans.  He was careful with Perez.  He took care of his tires AND put in 'quali laps' when he needed to.  The racing gods just didn't want to see him win today.

Sainz.  Oh... wait, there's drivers who weren't Lewis/Max?  Sainz got third.  I guess he drove well, never saw.

Tsunoda.  If you watched only the first and last race of the season, he'd seem like a beast.  Too bad about the other 20.  I'm glad he's got another chance next year.  I think he's got the skills, just needs to get the... whatever it was that held him back this year... sorted out.

Red Bull.  They had to take chances to win, and made the right call every single time.  You've got to be lucky to be good, but good to be lucky. 

Zeroes.
Bottas.  Perez was teammate of the century.  Hamilton needed Bottas up far enough to mess with Max's pit strategy, but he was nowhere to be found.  Bottas is a solid racer, I hate to put him as a zero, but he wasn't the factor that Mercedes needed.

Kimi.  Deserved a better last race.

Gio.  Deserved a better last race.

Masi/FIA.  I don't think this race was handled especially poorly, but an entire season of unpredictable decisions left this last race feeling unnecessarily unpredictable.  Bottom line, everyone was safe, so from that point of view, the right calls were made.

Offline Willy

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 01:54:29 PM »
Heroes.
Lewis is a hero because he did everything his car and tires could do and did not lower himself to the dangerous driving style of Max at any time during the race or in fact all season. He is the champion in my mind.

Kimi, Sad to end on a DNF but thanks for over 20 years of doing it your way. A true rebel.

Sainz, nice job, well done to get on the podium.

Zeroes
Bottas was a complete no-show and offered zero help to Lewis in this race and in most others as well.

Max. Yes, you had more wins and accumulated more points to win the FIA F1 Championship, but you did it by forcing Lewis to drive as if he was about to be crashed into at every chance. You are a dirty, unsportsmanlike driver who only cares about himself and puts others in danger so you can gain a step forward. Nothing about you is Champion material. 

Masi & the FIA, You should be totally ashamed of yourselves for allowing Max to get away with his driving and not penalize him for his blatant infractions.  The way Masi handled the final 5 laps in this race after Latiffi crashes into the wall was a joke.
Masi had dealt with similar situations before and this time just made it up as he went along. He broke the FIA rules in his handling and should step down immediately.

Liberty Media,  The whole venture is designed to make money. I get it. The best way to do that is to attract more fans. I get that. Having a new, younger champion will do that. BUT to allow that someone to put the others drivers at risk so a loose cannon can barrel around the track doing whatever the hell he pleases is going to have the opposite effect in the long run.
Those new fans came to see Max be a sh*t. What's next to keep them hooked? Monkeys behind the wheel?

I am taking a hard look at whether I want to continue to watch F1, and I can bet I am not alone.

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 01:57:12 PM »
Perfectly stated  :good:

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 10:09:35 PM »
Michael Masi and whoever in the FIA pre-selected a champion are zeroes for obvious reasons.

This rendered all else about this race irrelevant.

The only heroic move was not to play.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle