collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 380
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Merc shells out $4.8m just to be on F1 grid this year  (Read 1018 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Merc shells out $4.8m just to be on F1 grid this year
« on: February 19, 2022, 10:10:04 AM »
That's nearly a miillion more than 2nd placed Red Bull, just in entry fee.
Guess this sum, like all the other teams entry fees, has to come out of the budget cap amount.

With this extra cost and reduced wind tunnel time for Constructors Champ perhaps Christian Horner is right when he said it's the drivers championship that really matters. Win bonuses to the WDC probably amount to more than this extra entry payment, but I believe they might fall outside the cost cap.

https://f1i.com/news/432339-mercedes-forks-out-4-8m-entry-fee-for-2022-f1-season.html

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

Re: Merc shells out $4.8m just to be on F1 grid this year
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 02:40:08 PM »
Everyone should pay the same. It's like being penalized
for doing a good job.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 03:32:56 PM »
Maybe F1's version of Balance of Performance?  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 03:56:27 PM »
Considering that Merc also won a large share of the overall money pie (does Ferrari still get their 'heritage bonus' that puts them ahead of everyone?), I'm sure they're still coming out ahead of even RBR in terms of winnings/entry fee.

I do agree that it's kind of silly to charge the winners more to enter, but in a salary cap era, maybe it is a good way to tip the scales a little bit to give the slower teams a competitive advantage.  (Given the number of people who complain about Mercedes always winning, it makes sense to handicap them like this)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 09:13:30 PM »
Mercedes will have earned more than anyone else bar possibly Ferrari (Ferrari gets a fixed bonus fee for historical value, but I think teams who have won the Constructor's in the last 10 years get a fixed bonus as well and it might be the same value*), although this is based on the 2020 Liberty income figures due to delays in how funding goes through the system.

There is a balance point in income at which stage it becomes better to be underperforming than overperforming, though I don't know where that would be in the current contract. (In the previous contract, that point came when Liberty earned $800 m or less in a year, because that was the set point at which Ferrari was allowed to walk without consequence).

* - I'm 80% sure it's "on/off", that is to say if you won the title once in the last 10 years, it's treated the same as if you won it all of the last 10 years.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle