collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 378
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Monaco 2022 Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 680 times)

Offline Jericoke

Monaco 2022 Heroes and Zeroes
« on: May 30, 2022, 09:20:43 PM »
Heroes

Sergio Perez had a fantastic weekend.  Deserved a win.  Earned a win.

Carlos Sainz.  Maybe not a perfect weekend, but he understood the race, well deserved second place.

Max Verstappen.  I think the championship has helped change his view as a driver, taking in a broader, more mature approach.  Getting a podium on a 'bad' weekend is what champions do.

George Russel.  Continues to be 'best of the rest'.

Alonso.  Solid race, holding Hamilton at bay until he was sure his car would last until the end of the race.

Zeroes
Ferrari.  F1 is a team sport, you win as a team, you lose as a team.  The car is great, the drivers are great, but the strategy just wasn't there today.  In the greater scheme of things, a 2/4 is nothing to sneeze at, but a 1/2 should've been a slam dunk.

Albon just can't seem to catch any luck but bad.

FIA.  I understand their main concern is safety, and all decisions were made in the name of safety.  HOWEVER, safety isn't just a rule book, it's a state of mind.  There's 20 drivers, hundreds of team members, track side workers, all of their safety doesn't just depend on the rule book, but actually trusting the people who enforce the rule book.  There has to be an implicit trust between the race director and the drivers, teams and workers.  If the people in charge aren't sure what to do, that's going to trickle down into everyone else.  The drivers cannot afford that doubt, but even if it seeps into the mechanics, flagmen and everyone else involved in the sport, it can make things very dangerous, even if the rules are followed to the letter.  Although the race was generally safe (even Schumacher's massive collision was pretty spectacular), I felt like things were about to spiral out of control anyway.  Thankfully 2022 may have the most 'mature' set of drivers in F1, who are willing to drive within respect of the limits.  We could have had a genuine disaster with some of our previous lineups.  (Even younger versions of current drivers)

Anyone who taped the race to watch later.  Due to family commitments, I didn't watch the race until the evening (it was odd, watching Indy BEFORE Monaco).  Since the race was delayed, and then interrupted, my recording of the race ended right when the clock ran out:  4 lead cars separated by mere meters with a single lap to go and... that's all i saw.  Sure, it's Monaco, and nothing was going to happen, but I didn't get to see nothing happen, or any of the celebrations.

Offline Andy B

Re: Monaco 2022 Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 10:37:16 PM »
When it rains F1 has always raced its why they have wet tyres its not an American race series where they don't race in the rain for whatever reason.
The FIA/Stewards have got themselves into a position of not wanting to make a decision and then pressurising themselves into making the wrong one!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 12:49:01 PM »
Heroes:

Checo, had a shot at the win because he out qualified Max and took it with both hands.

Max, he has learned finishing high in the points is better than risky move at Monaco. He was helped by fact Leclerc ended up behind but I feel he knew the win was not on so settled for what he could get.

Carlos, for rescuing some dignity for Ferrari.

Lando, for coping with Monaco although not 100% fit. He was let off a bit by Alonso playing slowcoach behind him but still good effort.

Zeros;

Ferrari & Leclerc. Charles deserves as much blame as the team, sure the strategy was difficult - as it always is for leading cars being chased by smart drivers/teams - however they never seemed to have a handle on it.
My beef is with Charles, his inlap on one occasion was nearly 3secs off his competitors and did more damage than team strategy.

Haas, one car failed the distance and the other ended in the scenary courtesy of 'Schumi the shunt' again. Is this Mick's last season in F1?

Williams, they looked more like Manor GP at this race than the proper Grove team we love. 

I'd love to put FIA and RD in as Zeros, seems though there may have been special considerations to start delay that again comes back to the sh*t storm following Abu Dhabi. - RD cannot ignore written regs about timings for certain expected weather conditions ahead of build up to race, and procedures that then arise and are required to be used.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 06:48:43 PM »
Checo;  well deserved win and a solid effort.
Max; showing more maturity than last season and letting his natural talent shine thru.
Sainz: a good result and safe drive.
George;  another top 5 finish. By far the best or the rest as they say.

Ferarri: pooched Charles's drive by not bringing him in 1st or immediately after Checo pitted. Poor strategy.
Stewards for waffling on the start in the rain. What are full wets for if not rain?
Jeri is correct about the trickle-down effect or unsure decision-making. It kills morale from the top down.
Schumacher: another shunt that has everyone asking if he is there due to his name and the connections it brings.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 07:42:31 PM »
Firstly, I'd like to clarify there was a power cut to part of F1's data centre at the start due to the heavy rain. The cars, tyres and drivers might have been up to it (well, most of them...) but the equipment used to guarantee their safety and the recording of where any of them was in the race was not. It's not yet clear whose responsibility that was.

Heroes

Vettel - wrong strategy, one of the slowest cars on the grid, relatively low attrition, still got 10th and a point.

Sainz - kept it clean - and managed to convince Ferrari to accept his strategy idea, saving his team from the 3-4 that would otherwise have happened.

The marshals at the Nouvelle Chicane - while marshals are implicitly heroes unless otherwise enumerated, I would like to make special mention to the team who consistently backed each other up when clearing up debris, to the point where they were red-flagging sessions unprompted when one of their number was doing an on-track check at the (blind) entry. Commentators complained but you cannot keep running a qualifying session with marshals on the "hot" side of the barrier.

Zeroes

The FIA - multiple decisions in breach of the regulations, the return of appearing to wish to pre-choose a champion, apparent attempts to sabotage Monaco's ability to remain on the calendar... ...the FIA have a lot to answer for this weekend.

Liberty - made it extremely clear they'd rather race around a giant pound shop (Miami) because it looks like a giant pound shop than Monaco (on any motive). Rated less of a zero than the FIA because Miami also offers more money and this is admittedly part of Liberty's brief. But I'd have more respect for Liberty if it had actually said that, rather than make out Miami is Hollywood on wheels, when Paul Ricard (let alone the likes of Austin) looked more glamourous.

Latifi - Crashed under the Safety Car. I cannot imagine he is long for F1 at this rate, given his employer no longer needs the money.

I want to make Ferrari a dishonourable mention for breaking Charles Leclerc's heart with whatever that strategy was supposed to be... ...but I can't find a counter-balancing "honourable mention". Everyone else I can think of was either notable to me for doing something significantly wrong that Liberty/the FIA managed to poison, or else I've already forgotten what they did. Charles, however, will forgive Ferrari far more readily than most of his fans will.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle