collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 365
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Britain 2022 Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 2128 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Britain 2022 Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2022, 07:01:08 PM »
I'd like to add a new Zero to the list:

Zero:  Alfa Romeo's roll over crash 'hoop' failed during Zhou's crash.  In replays you can see it snap off almost immediately. Yes, the halo protected him, but that's not the halo's job.  I'm glad Zhou is okay, I'm glad the cars have redundant safety systems, but that seems like a big fail on behalf of Alfa.

Jeri that seems a rather strange claim that the Halo is not a meant as protective device in a roll over.  :confused:

Surely Halo is a device to protect drivers heads & shoulders from harm whichever way the car is up. I'd say it's an integral part of the safety cage structures around the drivers, adding extra in the case of roll over; which is precisely how it performed.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 01:34:49 PM »
I'd like to add a new Zero to the list:

Zero:  Alfa Romeo's roll over crash 'hoop' failed during Zhou's crash.  In replays you can see it snap off almost immediately. Yes, the halo protected him, but that's not the halo's job.  I'm glad Zhou is okay, I'm glad the cars have redundant safety systems, but that seems like a big fail on behalf of Alfa.

Jeri that seems a rather strange claim that the Halo is not a meant as protective device in a roll over.  :confused:

Surely Halo is a device to protect drivers heads & shoulders from harm whichever way the car is up. I'd say it's an integral part of the safety cage structures around the drivers, adding extra in the case of roll over; which is precisely how it performed.

I gave the zero to the roll over hoop, which failed spectacularly.

Obviously the halo performed brilliantly, but it's not meant to be the primary protection in a roll over, the hoop is.  I'm glad no one was seriously injured in the crash, and certainly redundancy is important to safety in all classes of motor racing (how many safety features did Zhou bypass before the crash fence finally caught him?)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2022, 09:20:15 PM »
Analysis indicates the roll hoop was put under twice the load the FIA test requires, which itself was supposed to cover all imagined scenarios. No prizes for guessing that the FIA will require tougher rollhoops in 2023.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2022, 04:13:47 PM »
The good part of this is that, fortunately, this flaw in the specifications was discovered without injury. Such insights usually come with a much higher price.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle