collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 614
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rubens offered seat at Andretti-Green INDYCAR  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Scott

Rubens offered seat at Andretti-Green INDYCAR
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:00:04 AM »
Hard to say if he'd take it.  I don't think they could match his salary.  I don't know that much about Marco, but I would hate to see his F1 career fizzle out like his Dad's.  It might be too early to put him in a race seat.  Why not throw him in GP2 with a full-time test seat at Honda for a season?

From F1 Live:

Rubens Barrichello has received an offer to see out his long motor racing career in America, according to reports.

The German newspaper Bild claims the 35-year-old, who next month will set a new benchmark as the longest serving grand prix driver in history, has been asked to run with the Andretti-Green IndyCar team in 2009.

Barrichello's current contract with the F1 team Honda, owned by the Japanese marque that also equips Andretti-Green – and the series - with engines, runs out at the end of 2008.   

Bild raises the possibility of a seat 'swap'; Barrichello to IRL in exchange for Andretti-Green's Marco Andretti, the 21-year-old American son of former McLaren driver Michael Andretti, whose own father Mario won the world championship in 1978.

Reportedly, the American broadcaster Speed TV cited Barrichello as confirming the offer.

Marco Andretti has already collected about 900 kilometres of testing in a Honda F1 car.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Rubens offered seat at Andretti-Green INDYCAR
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
I can't see Rubens taking it unless there are no F1 seats available to him in 2009 - he likes F1 too much.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »
I can't see why Rubens would want to make this swap.  He would no doubt go down well with the American fans but he has been settled in Europe for a long time now.

I think from comments he made a while back Mario is intent on taking a hands on approach to managing Marco's career and even talked about setting up home in Europe.  I would have thought if he is half as good as Mario thinks he could do a lot better than Honda but I guess if he can turn up and burst Botton's bubble that would establish him pretty quickly. 

Online cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 03:44:34 PM »
I think he might not have an F1 seat much longer. I think he would like IndyCar better than F1 current dumping ground retirement home, NASCAR.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 07:07:37 PM »
I think Rubens time is up in F1 and he probably knows this himself, I can't see Honda extending his contract and look how hard it was last season for veterans to fight over the one available seat at FiFi and then have to accept the drive for rookie money.

The Indy route, for an old warhorse used to open wheel racing, does seem preferable to Nascar.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »
Andretti Racing claim that the proposed move is news to them. So maybe Barrichello isn't going Stateside in 2009 after all.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 01:07:40 PM »
good old Bild,if there isn't any news
fabricate it
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »
Parkinson's Law as modified for journalists; "news" expands to fill the publication space available.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle