collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 521
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Who do You want to Win the WDC........and Why?  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Chameleon

Re: Who do You want to Win the WDC........and Why?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 02:32:11 PM »
From the comments so far, it seems that we think the driver who has the best car and never makes a mistake because he just sets it on cruise control, such is its superiority, that most deserves to be champion.  Step forward, Mickey the Shoe.

I don't see it that way.  To my mind, Keke Rosberg is the epitome of a driver who truly earned his championship - not in the best car (by a long way), surrounded by drivers of supposedly greater talent, but coming through in the end because he had more determination and guts than the rest put together.

In a season where there are many hugely talented drivers and lap times are taken to the thousandths to separate drivers, it takes something to be always in contention and too quick to be counted out.  If Lewis wins the WDC today, he will be a worthy champion, beyond doubt.  He has been the man to beat for two years, even though he has no car advantage, and the mistakes are the result of performing at the very edge, as is required when your competitors have superior equipment.  In my book, he is already champion anyway, since it is quite clear that the FIA have deducted points from him to keep Massa in contention.

And that is why Massa would not be a worthy champ.  He has had the best car, the FIA on his side and still cannot win the thing properly.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »
I'm no Alonzo fan, but it would have been pretty amazing if Renault had figured out their car problem 4-5 races ago, because then Alonzo could possibly have been WDC.  That would have blown a few of our socks off, and he would have been more than worthy for fighting as hard as he could as long as he could.

...if only he could keep his mouth shut off track.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 02:45:52 AM »
From the comments so far, it seems that we think the driver who has the best car and never makes a mistake because he just sets it on cruise control, such is its superiority, that most deserves to be champion.  Step forward, Mickey the Shoe.

I don't see it that way.  To my mind, Keke Rosberg is the epitome of a driver who truly earned his championship - not in the best car (by a long way), surrounded by drivers of supposedly greater talent, but coming through in the end because he had more determination and guts than the rest put together.

In a season where there are many hugely talented drivers and lap times are taken to the thousandths to separate drivers, it takes something to be always in contention and too quick to be counted out.  If Lewis wins the WDC today, he will be a worthy champion, beyond doubt.  He has been the man to beat for two years, even though he has no car advantage, and the mistakes are the result of performing at the very edge, as is required when your competitors have superior equipment.  In my book, he is already champion anyway, since it is quite clear that the FIA have deducted points from him to keep Massa in contention.

And that is why Massa would not be a worthy champ.  He has had the best car, the FIA on his side and still cannot win the thing properly.

while i cannot disagree with your conclusions Chameleon, to suggest the McLAREN is somehow an inferior car is drawing a very long bow in my opinion, as it was the car to beat on many occassions

yeah, that was mainly due to LH's prodigious driving talents but all the same i bet ya many other drivers would love to have a car as good as the macca; just ask the TOYOTA and HONDA drivers and MW of RED BULL for starters!
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 02:49:16 AM »
I'm no Alonzo fan, but it would have been pretty amazing if Renault had figured out their car problem 4-5 races ago, because then Alonzo could possibly have been WDC.  That would have blown a few of our socks off, and he would have been more than worthy for fighting as hard as he could as long as he could.

...if only he could keep his mouth shut off track.

great point SD, methinks FA did bring extra motivation and expertise to the team who really could step up next year

hope he learns how essential it is to temper his public comments
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle