collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 554
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: BMW Sauber buyout talks at crucial stage  (Read 1342 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
BMW Sauber buyout talks at crucial stage
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:59:21 PM »

The interesting bit for me is how the FIA can visit the new teams to check on their progress, having granted them a place on the grid how are they going to be able to take that away even if there is presently no activity at the team? :DntKnw:

BMW Sauber has a buyer for its Hinwil-based team, should the FIA grant it the so-called 13th spot on the 2010 grid.

That is the claim of the Swiss newspaper Sonntagsblick, although team founder and minority shareholder Peter Sauber was giving nothing away at Monza when he said: "The negotiations are at a crucial stage. I can't say anything."

Rumours earlier this weekend suggested that, in addition to plenty of speculated interest from the international private sector, the Swiss government might also be involved in trying to rescue the locally based team in the wake of BMW's announced withdrawal.

Sauber is in competition with Lotus and Epsilon Euskadi for the last place on next year's grid, but Blick reports that more places might open up soon.

The newspaper said FIA officials will this week visit the factories of the Manor, USF1 and Campos teams, in order to gauge their progress in preparing genuinely for next year’s world championship. 

Many have been sceptical regarding their participation including BMW Sauber test and reserve driver Christian Klien.

"You can't visit a factory because there's nothing there,” he told the Austrian news agency APA. "You can't sign anything at the moment because the uncertainty about whether they're going to be there next year is still too large.”

Nick Heidfeld also said he does not see the new teams as potential options. "I try to follow what they're doing but obviously there are rumours that they are not doing a lot and maybe don't have enough money or whatever…"

E.A. © CAPSIS International

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

FW14B

Re: BMW Sauber buyout talks at crucial stage
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:33:49 PM »
It is typical of the FIA, I really do not see, as you say, how they can now insist on visiting the teams.  If those ones who are already accepted cannot get ready, there is very little chance any team they might decide to replace them with will be ready.  There has been very little noise coming out of two of the new teams, except for the Virgin rumours with Manor F1.  I think USF1 should be okay.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 09:11:05 PM »
Well, at least Sauber should be at the top of the list, buyer or no buyer simply because it is a turn-key operation.  It is a living, breathing F1 team that's only dificiency will be not having an engine supplier next year, which is a pretty quick fix.  If the FIA gives the final spot to anyone else, I will be astounded.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 09:19:49 PM »
I agree, Sauber should be on the grid next year if the buy out is successful, but in F1 who knows?  Most people thought Prodrive would have been on the grid next year, and look what happened.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 10:19:05 PM »
I agree, Sauber should be on the grid next year if the buy out is successful, but in F1 who knows?  Most people thought Prodrive would have been on the grid next year, and look what happened.

I totally agree with your statement "in F1 who know?". I think BMW have put a reasonable price on the team as they can probably utilise a lot of the Hinwell facility and probably the staff in another area of motorsport if they have to.

This is quite a different case to when Honda walked away. Everyone assumes BMW have to give the team away but they obviously have other ideas and if they cannot secure the grid slot they will take the other course, unless someone puts a better offer to them.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 05:45:20 AM »
That's the catch-22 though isn't it.  On one hand the FIA may say that since there is no buyer, they will chose someone else.  The potential buyer would look at it the other way.  If Sauber doesn't have a spot on the grid, exactly what are they buying??  The whole thing would have been so much easier if BMW had just gone ahead and signed the CA.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle