collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 357
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2018 F1 Driver Ratings .. So Far!!  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Calman

2018 F1 Driver Ratings .. So Far!!
« on: April 20, 2018, 09:49:27 PM »
Here is the percentages from Autosport's readers, agree or disagree??

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135514/f1-driver-ratings-how-youve-voted-so-far

Personally, most of the ratings are fair, but one or two, I think could have scored higher or lower on performances out on the track in the first 3 races of the season.

All the best,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Robem64

Re: 2018 F1 Driver Ratings .. So Far!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
Pretty representative I'd say :good:
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 09:14:35 AM »
Hard to compare drivers given the differences in equipment. It's gotten to the point where aero packages are so finely tuned Toro Rosso can be very quick in Bahrain and nearly hopeless in China. Oz was decided on luck and an apt pit call. In Bahrain Vettel did a superb job of managing his tires; Gasly was presented an opportunity and took full advantage. In China, luck and another apt pit call ruled the day, though Daniel took full advantage and Max wasted it. Hulk has been solid, KMag as well. Although Vettel leads the WDC, I don't think anyone has really stepped up and said "This is my year". Baku would seem to favor Merc, but Lewis doesn't seem to have found the key to this year's car and Bottas needs to steal a bit of Max's attitude and aggression. R/B won't have the HP for the straights. I'm very curious to see how they go in Spain, where Merc seemed to have them covered in testing and Monaco, where we'll see how good the R/B chassis really is. If Ferrari takes those 3, the field is in trouble. Oh, saw Renault claiming the engine upgrades in Canada should put them on a level with the Big 3.  :DntKnw:
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 03:31:21 PM »
K-Mag first & Max last sounds right.

I might reverse Hamilton & Bottas.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 07:20:47 PM »
Forgot to say, if I had to hire a driver DaniRicci would be at the top of my list.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 07:07:52 PM »
Warning! Long post alert!

I provide my ratings here:

1) Riccardo - speedy in Australia, unlucky but fast in Bahrain, masterful weekend in China

2) Alonso - feisty and with fighting optimism in Australia, decent in Bahrain, overtaking of iffy legality but exciting effect in China

3) Vettel - won on strategy in Australia, speed let down by tactical mis-steps in Bahrain, wrong strategy prevented good result in China

4) Stroll - went as fast as the car would let him every race so far, barring minor errors

5) Vandoorne - did what was expected in Australia, decent in Bahrain, good fightback from a bad start in China

*imagine a small gap to the next "bunch" here*

6) Magnussen - speedy in Australia, pushed hard and was rewarded in Bahrain, anonymous China

7) Ericsson - anonymous Australia, showed the world what a Sauber could do, partly due to a good strategy call in Bahrain, bad qualifying but good race in China

8 ) Perez - got the best possible from the car in Australia, forgot to install logic module during the installation lap in Bahrain (but did a decent job when the lights went out), bad start but well-handled team-mate duel in China

9) Raikkonen - working to design throughout this phase of the season. Signs that some of his skill is being wasted by strategy.

10) Ocon - opportunistic in Australia, slightly disappointing in Bahrain, bad qualifying but well-handled team-mate duel in China

*imagine a small gap here*

11) Grosjean - optimistic, speedy and displaying great team leadership in Australia, poor qualifying and collision ruined race in Bahrain, indifferent China

12) Hulkenberg - pessimistic despite (because) over-performing his car in Australia, OK-to-good in Bahrain, maximised his car in China

13) Hamilton - lost on strategy but otherwise brilliant performance in Australia, good fightback marred by being a total windbag in Bahrain, just plain slow in China

*imagine a fairly large gap here*

14) Sirotkin - barely seen in Australia, went as fast as the car would let him in Bahrain, underwhelming in China

15) Sainz - good defensive work despite illness in Australia, quietly underwhelming Bahrain, OK in China

*imagine a small canyon here*

16) Gasly - anonymous Australia, roof-raising performance in Bahrain, roof-lowering team-mate duel in China

17) Leclerc - quiet Australia, error-strewn race compounded by a bad strategy call in Bahrain, spin-defined China

18) Bottas - quietly underwhelming in Australia, mis-timed final charge in Bahrain, not quite fast enough to counter Safety Car-related strategy issues in China

19) Hartley - mistake in beginning followed by audacious but non-functional strategy in Australia, apparently took 2 crucial laps to install his logic module in Bahrain (formation lap silliness was followed by a collision), arguably badly-handled team-mate duel in China

20) Verstappen - race defined by error-strewn first lap in Australia, two huge errors in Bahrain, another two huge errors in China

--

As for who I'd hire, it would depend what my team's realistic aims were for the season:

Fight for the titles: Daniel Riccardo and Stoffel Vandoorne (I wish I could rely on Alonso to play nice in this scenario, but I don't think I could. Vettel and Riccardo are not the best combo despite individual strengths. Stroll's not ready for this level of team. I could see Vandoorne as a reliable and calm counterbalance to Riccardo's title-fighting enthusiasm).

Win one/a few races: Daniel Riccardo and Fernando Alonso (this would be the optimal driver situation mathematically, and I think Alonso would behave himself towards his team-mate in this situation).

Win the midfield battle: Sergio Perez and Stoffel Vandoorne (I don't think I could get Riccardo or Alonso to join a team with such low ambitions. Stroll's not ready for this level of team. I wrote Stoffel second, even though he's the stronger driver of the two, because he shows zero leadership potential so far. Magnussen has the same issue, but Vandoorne seems a better driver to me, hence the latter gets the nod. Not sure Ericsson could quite jump to this level).

Join midfield battle/win backmarker battle: Lance Stroll (I can't believe I'm writing this!) and Marcus Ericsson (I don't think I could get Riccardo, Alonso or Vandoorne to join a team with such low ambitions. Nor would Magnussen would likely join a team in this scenario).

Now to read the article that prompted this thread  :DD

Edited to add: having read the article, the manner in which the Autosport reader list was decided - a 100-point scale issued to each voter three times - doesn't have enough similarity with my "look at each driver and arrange relative to each other by feel" for an exact "how many matches" approach to make sense. Instead, I've identified the "tiers" of similarly-performing drivers each of our systems produces and will say how much agreement on those "tiers" our respective systems produce:

Tier 1:
Me - Riccardo, Alonso, Vettel, Stroll, Vandoorne
Autosport readers (8+) - Magnussen, Vettel, Riccardo, Alonso, Raikkonen, Hulkenberg

Tier 2:
Me - Magnussen, Ericsson, Perez, Raikkonen, Ocon
Autosport Readers (7.2-7.3) - Ericsson, Hamilton

Tier 3
Me - Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Hamilton
Autosport readers (6.2-6.9)- Bottas, Gasly, Ocon, Vandoorne, Sainz, Perez

Tier 4
Me - Sirotkin, Sainz
Autosport readers (5.4-5.9)- Leclerc, Grosjean, Hartley

Tier 5
Me - Gasly, Leclerc, Bottas, Hartley, Verstappen
Autosport readers  (below 5) - Stroll, Sirotkin, Verstappen

Drivers in the same "tier" on both systems: 5 (Riccardo, Alonso, Vettel, Ericcson, Verstappen)

Drivers seen as doing better in the 3 races in my system than Autosport readers': 6 (Stroll, Vandoorne, Perez, Ocon, Grosjean, Sirotkin)

Drivers seen as doing better in the 3 races in Autosport readers' eyes than mine: 9 (Magnussen, Raikkonen, Hulkenberg, Hamilton, Leclerc, Hartley, Sainz, Gasly, Bottas)

I wouldn't say that either system is necessarily fairer or less fair than the other. It is simply striking that they have such different results!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:40:00 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle