collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 591
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Olympics!  (Read 11656 times)

Offline gato

Re: Olympics!
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 01:03:43 PM »
What is different between luge and skeleton? :DntKnw: they both are fast sport where a man or woman is lying on the bobsled. in luge face is towards heaven, in skeleton towards ice. i can see those sports only in winter olympics.
La macchina e´ bella quando quella vincerà. (The car is beautiful when it wins)
- Enzo Ferrari

Offline Dare

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 02:28:43 PM »
What is different between luge and skeleton? :DntKnw: they both are fast sport where a man or woman is lying on the bobsled. in luge face is towards heaven, in skeleton towards ice. i can see those sports only in winter olympics.

I think the luge you go down the course feet first and
the skeleton is more what we think of as a sled here
in here in the USA, you go down the track head first
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:51:14 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 02:40:20 PM »
Skeleton is also closer to the ground (actually safer - lower centre of gravity).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 02:48:16 PM »
We try to get some medals in ski and ski jumping but the silver medal was great surprise because it came in sport that was not so expected. How big bet rate is for Canada's ice hockey gold?

If Canada doesn't win a gold medal in men's hockey, it will be a national disaster.  Without hyperbole, the Prime Minister literally believes that the next election hinges on whether or not we win a gold medal in hockey.

When Canada didn't win the gold medal in Japan, the GOVERNMENT actually put together a panel to change the rules in kids hockey so that Canadians would become bettter at it.

When Canada didn't win the gold medal in Italy, the country turned against Wayne Gretzky.  He was public enemy number one for putting together a team that lost.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:44:19 PM by Jericoke »

Online Jericoke

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 02:50:15 PM »

I think the luge you go down the course feet first and
the skeleton is more what we think of as a sled here
in hte Us you go down the track head first

The skeleton is a sled that slides on top of the track.  The luge has blades, like a bobsled or ice skate, that dig into the ice.

Even though the skeleton looks crazier than luge, it is safer:  it won't get into a rut like a luge, you can see where you're going easier, and your centre of gravity is positioned better.

Offline Scott

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 04:08:12 PM »
The skeleton has runners (not sharp though), but they are not as high, or sharp like the luge's (call them blades).  The control is by dragging your feet, while the luge is controlled by bending the blades with your feet.

Offline gato

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2010, 08:23:32 PM »
Thanks for all about the explanation! :D The speed in luge/skeleton can be even 130 km/h. it almost same than ride a bike at race. :o
- Enzo Ferrari

Offline gato

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »
To Jericoke: Did you watch that Canada-USA ice hockey game? It was really thrilling? i watched it as highlights because of the time difference. Canada must battle harder now until they are in final. :crazy:
- Enzo Ferrari

Online Jericoke

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 03:51:17 PM »
To Jericoke: Did you watch that Canada-USA ice hockey game? It was really thrilling? i watched it as highlights because of the time difference. Canada must battle harder now until they are in final. :crazy:

It wasn't a great game.  The USA and Canada only played average, though Ryan Miller, the American goal keeper, played extraordinarily well.  It was the highest rated sports even in Canadian TV history.

It's going to be harder for Canada, but we're looking at it like a crucible... the hotter things get, the purer the team will be. 

The main problem is that while a national team getting ready for a soccer/football world cup, the Canadian Olympic team never plays together, never plays 'friendlies', doesn't even have to qualify.  They just get together and play in the olympics with one or two practices... it's hard for 20 guys who are normally the best guy on their team, the 'go to guy' to fit together.

Offline gato

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 06:09:32 PM »
Now you surely smiled because Canada won Germany too easy. ;)
- Enzo Ferrari

Online Jericoke

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 06:41:55 PM »
Now you surely smiled because Canada won Germany too easy. ;)

Nobody wants easy games.... I'd love for every game to be 3-2, won in overtime (I'm not a fan of shootouts.  It's like deciding an F1 race by timing pit stops)

Offline Scott

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »
Canada vs USA is on tonight at 9:15pm Swiss time (Central European Time).  I've reserved the TV and space on my couch for the entire game.  Can't wait.

I've noticed something here that is different than in North America.  And I like it.  Here they rate the countries by the number of Gold that they have won, not by the total medals...therefore in the Swiss newspaper, Canada is in the lead, while in North America, it shows us in third.  Switzerland is in 5th, not 11th.  And not to forget, the USA is in 3rd, not 1st   :P :P

Online Jericoke

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »
Canada vs USA is on tonight at 9:15pm Swiss time (Central European Time).  I've reserved the TV and space on my couch for the entire game.  Can't wait.

I've noticed something here that is different than in North America.  And I like it.  Here they rate the countries by the number of Gold that they have won, not by the total medals...therefore in the Swiss newspaper, Canada is in the lead, while in North America, it shows us in third.  Switzerland is in 5th, not 11th.  And not to forget, the USA is in 3rd, not 1st   :P :P

Tonight's game is going to put it all on the line.  I expect violence of Olympic proportions, lol.

Well, in Canada we normally rank it by total medals because we normally load up on bronze, so it makes us look better.  I'm sure that everyone wishes we'd do it by gold now!

Offline Scott

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2010, 11:01:20 PM »
What a nail-biter.  Great game - super that Crosby got the overtime goal.  Gotta give credit to the USA, they played a fantastic game, but what a fantastic way to finish the Olympics - Canada takes the last (and many in Canada would say - the most important) Gold medal.

Phew - time for bed!
 :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Online Jericoke

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2010, 12:53:06 AM »
What a nail-biter.  Great game - super that Crosby got the overtime goal.  Gotta give credit to the USA, they played a fantastic game, but what a fantastic way to finish the Olympics - Canada takes the last (and many in Canada would say - the most important) Gold medal.

Phew - time for bed!
 :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

What did I say?  3-2 in overtime is the perfect game.

A well earned Gold Medal for Canada in hockey!

And Canada officially wins the most gold medals ever at a Winter Olympics!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle