collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 142
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: OK, I think we've crossed some kind of line.  (Read 6943 times)

Offline Canada Darrell™

OK, I think we've crossed some kind of line.
« on: May 08, 2010, 04:39:34 PM »
It's not a big secret I'm not a fan of a steering wheel full (literally) of buttons and dials which really can't be a good thing taking someones mind off the road at 190mph.
But for this Q session this morning I couldn't believe what's going on in the Ferrari cockpit. Are you kidding me? Pressing one's left hand against the cockpit to block the airflow over the whatchamacallit and adjusting the brake bias with the other going into a corner? I dunno if I have more respect for the drivers ability to focus or if I should be waiting for the inevitable huge accident.
Bad enough that the drivers lose one hand to adjust the bias for quite a few corners as they approach them but now the other hand barely has but fingertips on the wheel?

Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Jericoke

Re: OK, I think we've crossed some kind of line.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »
I love the idea of technical innovation in F1, and often technical innovation means buttons and switches.

However, I agree:  let the drivers focus on driving the car, rather than programming it.  Put a limit on the in cockpit controls.  Or make the steering wheel standard at least.

David

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 05:35:34 PM »
One hand off the wheel is enough at any time. I have to agree the Ferrari system does seem flawed.  :(

Maybe they should call it the 'Holy...F-duct'

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »
I love the idea of technical innovation in F1, and often technical innovation means buttons and switches.

However, I agree:  let the drivers focus on driving the car, rather than programming it.  Put a limit on the in cockpit controls.  Or make the steering wheel standard at least.

They could easily eliminate the driver controls by putting two way telemetry back in and let the teams make the adjustments from the pit wall.  High tech solution.  As long as the teams don't use it to make 'quiet' team orders...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

markb

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »
The worrying thing is that Domenicali ( I think that's how his name is spelt), thought it's not an issue at all, that at times during today's qualy, Alonso had both hands off the steering wheel, and concluded the interview by stating that it's early days, and they will be reviewing their f-duct development after Spain....too right they need to review it, they need to do something pretty drastic asap!!!

Williamsfan

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 09:27:16 PM »
This could prove to be a disaster after 40 odd laps round some of the more gruelling circuits.  So many things to concentrate on as it is, without removing your hands so often from the wheel.  Ferrari have to sort it.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 10:10:36 PM »

Calm down guys n' gals with the level the level of driving sophistication required in an F1 cockpit they should have no trouble handling it.  I agree it looks terrible and it is a PR blunder for the sport because ordinary drivers couldn't possibly cope with what is going on, but it is not dangerous for the F1 boys. However the FIA has got to crack down on it fast before they get swamped by road safety do gooders, and then politicians get drawn in. :crazy:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

markb

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 09:59:29 AM »

Calm down guys n' gals with the level the level of driving sophistication required in an F1 cockpit they should have no trouble handling it.  I agree it looks terrible and it is a PR blunder for the sport because ordinary drivers couldn't possibly cope with what is going on, but it is not dangerous for the F1 boys. However the FIA has got to crack down on it fast before they get swamped by road safety do gooders, and then politicians get drawn in. :crazy:

When one considers Ferrari's huge budget, one hardly expects a driver to have to take both hands off the steering wheel to control their new F-duct, in all honesty John, we are perfectly calm, and merely expressing our thoughts. :good:

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 11:53:15 AM »

Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone, I was trying to make the point that the F1 drivers are well capable of dealing with it but the road safety lobby will use it as a big stick if it's not stopped tout d'suite. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 12:51:23 PM »
Nothing new in this. I've seen pictures from the 50's where drivers had one hand on the shifter and the other holding a cigar!  ;)

One of my favorite bits of film is Fangio in a Maserati 250. He's driving along at speed and calmly reaches up with both hands to adjust his goggles!

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 05:16:16 PM »
Hard to not cringe slightly when watching these iconic drivers do their thing. Gadzooks, no seat belt (didn't look like it to me anyways), no roll bars, no personal protection to speak of (other than the goggles and helmet) and fer gosh sakes, DON'T HIT THOSE CURBS!  :o

Thanks Cos.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 08:22:56 PM »
Today's drivers are rather spoiled. I am all in favor of raising the curbs to prevent cutting them, harder tires for less grip, and more power/less aero. Part throttle used to be important, how much power can you use? Now it's just on or off the gas, bang. Let's find out who can drive.

Lonny
Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 02:13:38 AM »
Hard to not cringe slightly when watching these iconic drivers do their thing. Gadzooks, no seat belt (didn't look like it to me anyways), no roll bars, no personal protection to speak of (other than the goggles and helmet) and fer gosh sakes, DON'T HIT THOSE CURBS!  :o

Thanks Cos.

Back in the old days driving those fire hazzards it was
safer to be thrown from the car than being burnt alive or so
I've read
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
Quite true, Dare. Seat belts & harnesses didn't arrive in F1 until about 1970.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Wizzo

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 01:36:11 PM »
There was an interesting interview with the great Stirling Moss regarding this very subject. He virtually brushed it aside saying he didn't think it was a problem for drivers as he spent most of his time waving at the 'crumpet' during his races.  :good:

They then showed a vintage clip of him driving around the chicane at Monaco, one hand in the air, waving to 'a bit of totty' who he distinctly remembered had pink lipstick on.

I quote 'that's what it was all about'  :DD
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle