collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 624
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The New IRL Chassis Is.....  (Read 8729 times)

Offline cosworth151

The New IRL Chassis Is.....
« on: July 14, 2010, 05:44:57 PM »
Dallara!

It will have interchangable body kits to go over the basic tub.!

I'm still watching the live announcement. More soon.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: The New IRL Chassis Is.....
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 05:50:01 PM »
This is absolutely fantastic.  They invite 'Ford, GM, Lotus, Ferrari' to compete with 'Lockheed and Boeing' in designing the low cost aerodynamic kits.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:27:14 PM »
Dallara will build a new production plant in Speedway, Indiana to produce the tubs. The tub will cost $349,000, with the complete car, sans engine, at about $385,000. It will weigh in at about 1380 lb, a savings of 185 lb over the current car.

The chassis/tub itself will carry the name "IndyCar," not Dallara. The finished car will carry the name of the areo kit builder.

Sadly, the still seem intent on outlawing V8 engines in place of Turbo 4's and Turbo V6's.  :sick:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 07:42:35 PM »
Here's how they expect it to work.

― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:58:39 PM »

Sadly, the still seem intent on outlawing V8 engines in place of Turbo 4's and Turbo V6's.  :sick:

I generally agree, but if the car makers refuse to make V8s, then at least we might get a variety of engines once again.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »
They seem more than willing to build V8's for F1, LeMans, NASCAR, NHRA, V8 Supercars........

Too bad the Baron of Bulls doesn't have any motorsport background. He might remember what a fiasco it was when NASCAR tried to make it's Busch (now Nationwide) series a V6 series.  :sick:
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:44:44 PM »
They seem more than willing to build V8's for F1, LeMans, NASCAR, NHRA, V8 Supercars........

Too bad the Baron of Bulls doesn't have any motorsport background. He might remember what a fiasco it was when NASCAR tried to make it's Busch (now Nationwide) series a V6 series.  :sick:

F1 has 2 'normal' car companies making V8s, that's only one more than IRL.

NASCAR engines aren't exactly high tech, which is what IRL is trying to do to differentiate themselves.

I can't really speak to LeMans or NHRA... but if IRL uses LeMans spec engines, then why not?  Certainly gives credence to the FIA's 'world engine' idea.

The main thing is that modern engines are so damned powerful, a V8 just isn't needed to provide the spectacle, and doesn't provide any use to the company from a technology point of view.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 06:53:22 PM »

Now lets see there's Renualt, Mercedes and Ferrari, just which one of those is not normal? - I know who I would choose but I'm too kind to say.  :tease:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 08:15:44 PM »

Now lets see there's Renualt, Mercedes and Ferrari, just which one of those is not normal? - I know who I would choose but I'm too kind to say.  :tease:

I suppose that Fiat could always drop a Ferrari Type 056 into an IRL car and call it Mopar.

(they could even bore it out a bit and call it a Hemi!  :DD )

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 08:35:35 PM »
Car Culture types here in the U.S. have a habit of linking performance with V8 engines. There were many fine performance cars that never found a mass market because they didn't have a V8. The Mustang SVO and Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (Turbo I-4's) Buick GNX (Turbo V6) Thunberbird Super Coupe (Supercharged V6). It goes clear back to the 50's. Hudson dominated NASCAR, but didn't sell to the performance crowd because it had a straight 6.

Sadly, this will be the scene at IRL headquarters in 1012.

― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 03:09:35 AM »
The famous Offenhauser engine that won many 500s, was a 4. First naturally aspirated, then turbocharged. No one wondered if they were powerful or fast. They can run Harley twins for all I care, as long as they increase the power so that they actually have to drive and not just steer.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 12:20:07 PM »
But they won't attract many new fans. IRL will be viewed even more as a "minor" series.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 12:49:27 PM »
But they won't attract many new fans. IRL will be viewed even more as a "minor" series.

I guess that's the fundamental problem... if IRL fans are V8 fans, then IRL has a big problem.... the car companies are abandoning V8s because the number of V8 fans is shrinking.

IRL might have trouble gaining fans in the V8 crowd, but they can't let that remain their core audience forever, or it won't be anything beyond a minor series.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 01:26:36 PM »
the car companies are abandoning V8s because the number of V8 fans is shrinking.

Really? Which ones? Ford, GM & Chrysler can't build V8's fast enough. Toy, Honda and Nissan have realized that if they want to sell vehicles in the US, they'd better put V8's in them. The most popular vehicle in the country for years isn't even available with anything smaller than a 281 cid V8. Ford talks about it's "eco-boost" turbos, but it sell V8's.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
the car companies are abandoning V8s because the number of V8 fans is shrinking.

Really? Which ones? Ford, GM & Chrysler can't build V8's fast enough. Toy, Honda and Nissan have realized that if they want to sell vehicles in the US, they'd better put V8's in them. The most popular vehicle in the country for years isn't even available with anything smaller than a 281 cid V8. Ford talks about it's "eco-boost" turbos, but it sell V8's.

Don't confuse cars and trucks.

The people concerned with hauling power aren't always the same people interested in the pony car wars, and if F150 sales were relevant to IRL fans, Ford would still be powering open wheel racing.

The number of cars sold in North America that even offer a V8 is small.  The new Mustang and Camaro advertising even pushes the fuel efficient V6s.  (They might be mistaken, but Alan Mullaly doesn't sell cars people don't buy... if people wanted a V8 Mustang by the millions, he would sell them.)

Henry Ford must be rolling over in his grave.

(Honestly, if I could see a way forward for IRL to use American V8 engines, I'd have already sent my resume to Bernard.  I want Ford, GM and Mopar there as much as anyone.  There's just not enough gearheads to be the majority of the IRL's fanbase.)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle