collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 263
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Winter has arrived in the UK  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Dare

Winter has arrived in the UK
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:19:28 AM »
how much snow did our UK members get,report please?
Have you ever seen a snow Rom?or how many members have
never had the joy of experiencing Snow?You can have ours ;)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40399876/ns/weather/?gt1=43001

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Winter has arrived in the UK
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 03:24:14 AM »
I have lived in Tucson 37 years and it has snowed 3 times, including once on Christmas. On the other hand, I can drive 45 minutes or so up Mt Lemmon and see snow all winter. Best of both worlds.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline romephius

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:43:33 AM »
well living in the tropical paradise that is Queensland, I have never seen snow except once from a plane and the snow was on a mountain barely visible on the horizon.... so, I guess that's still a no.....

Although I have seen so much hail that there were piles of ice 1-1.5 feet high.... that's something....

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 04:53:20 AM »
well living in the tropical paradise that is Queensland, I have never seen snow except once from a plane and the snow was on a mountain barely visible on the horizon.... so, I guess that's still a no.....

Although I have seen so much hail that there were piles of ice 1-1.5 feet high.... that's something....

You don't know what your missing when walking thru 23 inches of
snow or riding a sled down a hill or getting wet from the snow and
freezing your buns off.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 09:52:40 AM »
Wales and the north of Britain have had plenty but in the area I live we only had a couple of flakes this morning.  :yahoo:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline romephius

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 10:12:04 AM »
by the sounds of that Dare, I'm not missing anything then.... LOL....

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:28:15 AM »
Dare can keep it Rom, hehe

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 10:36:38 AM »
Wales and the north of Britain have had plenty but in the area I live we only had a couple of flakes this morning.  :yahoo:

you're lucky to have seen a couple of flakes Ian, there's nowt here in the landlocked county of Hertfordshire, some promised for Wednesday. Most of the population is unaffected yet, as Ian says it's mainly in the less populated regions especially on the east & west coast and higher ground.

It's amazing really that some regions which are not necessarily representative of the most populous areas of Britain, like Scotland or the North East region, get so much coverage about everything. The counties in the East of England region, including Essex & Hertfordshire, has a bigger population than Scotland but do we get our own parliament or national influence? Nah course not - hey who said that. ;)  :DD

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:59:34 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 11:22:11 AM »
Always the same John, our government wants to forget the English exist.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »
Oh, the regional squabbles  :D  Aren't the people up in Durham English?  Our hosts certainly considered themselves English.  We were up in Durham for a few days when the storm hit, and I can tell you it was chaos.  Worst in 17 years reportedly, and our hosts would say perhaps even longer if their memory serves.

You guys can moan about not getting enough attention, but to a Canadian (and dare I say an Australian), your regional differences are puny.  As a province, Prince Edward Island gets as much say in national affairs as Ontario, but the population difference is about a thousand fold.  Don't get me started about the north...   ;) ;)

On a side note, I think we may be responsible.  Darrell will remember our short visit to Vancouver Island in 2006, and the storm we brought with us - the storm of 'the decade' they were saying, maybe even a quarter century.  I think I'll change my handle to 'Storm'   :D  :D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »
Scott, John was talking about Scotland and Wales, they get far more benefits than England, Scotland for instance gets free prescriptions I believe, which we pay for, in England you have to be over 60 to get them.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 03:09:31 PM »

You guys can moan about not getting enough attention, but to a Canadian (and dare I say an Australian), your regional differences are puny.  As a province, Prince Edward Island gets as much say in national affairs as Ontario, but the population difference is about a thousand fold.  Don't get me started about the north...   ;) ;)

You've been outside of Canada for too long.  Our current Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, rules with an iron fist.  His whims are made into law without debate.  Ministers who speak out of turn are demoted to the back bench.  At the first sign of organised opposition (this is a minority government!) he prorogues parliament so no confidence vote can be made.  And in the off chance the opposition parties successfully pass legislation, he just gets the Senate to veto anyway.

So, I suppose it's correct to say that PEI has as much influence as Ontario... which is to say none.

(Don't get me wrong, I voted for the guy.  The alternatives were far worse... after all, they're the ones who have all the power needed to stop Harper, and they don't.)

But to keep this post on topic:  as famous as Canada is for enduring snow, about 10 years ago there was a snowstorm in Toronto.  It was bad, but I'm sure Dare and Cos have seen worse.  Well, the entire city shut down, and the army had to be called in to clear it out.

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 07:55:01 PM »
Me and my big mouth, it's snowing fairly heavy and settling.  >:D

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 08:05:03 PM »

You've been outside of Canada for too long.  Our current Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, rules with an iron fist.  His whims are made into law without debate.  Ministers who speak out of turn are demoted to the back bench.  At the first sign of organised opposition (this is a minority government!) he prorogues parliament so no confidence vote can be made.  And in the off chance the opposition parties successfully pass legislation, he just gets the Senate to veto anyway.

So, I suppose it's correct to say that PEI has as much influence as Ontario... which is to say none.

(Don't get me wrong, I voted for the guy.  The alternatives were far worse... after all, they're the ones who have all the power needed to stop Harper, and they don't.)

The irony of course is that he came into politics through the 'Reform' party...seems to me his style is a step backward instead of forward.  Nothing has changed, it's just gotten worse.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

David

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 08:21:42 PM »
Pretty cold and icy in beautiful Northern Ireland with good falls of snow lying thick in places. Nice from inside the house, but it took me 1hr 25mins to get to work this morning.  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle