collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 326
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 'Protect youth from themselves'  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Wizzo

'Protect youth from themselves'
« on: January 23, 2007, 10:16:29 AM »

Youth is the problem on the roads, if a new survey is to be believed. And the organisation that commissioned the survey thinks that speed limiters are a good idea too.  :o

A survey of 500 road users has found that UK drivers want to put limitations on young drivers for safety reasons.

Nearly two-thirds (64 per cent) of those surveyed believe that modified vehicles are partly to blame for the deaths of young drivers leading to the suggestion that young drivers should be banned from modifying their vehicles until they have gained more driving experience.

According to the survey, most respondents (61 per cent) believe the minimum driving age should be increased from 17 to 18 years in order to prevent the number of young driver deaths. A similar number of drivers (60 per cent) feel that young drivers should have speed limiters fitted to restrict their maximum speed.

This follows the news that the Department for Transport (DfT) is currently considering giving driving lessons on public roads to 16-year-olds and including safe driving principles in the school curriculum.

According to a recent report by the Association of British Insurers, the death and serious injury of 1,200 young drivers on UK roads every year could be reduced through a series of four actions.

These include:

A minimum learning period before the driving test
A structured learning programme for new drivers;
Encouragement for young drivers to carry fewer passengers;
Encouragement for young drivers to avoid driving at night.
Paul Cosh, managing director of www.motorinsurance.co.uk, which commissioned the survey, said it wants to see a reduction in the number of young drivers dying on the roads:

“Young drivers are far more likely to be killed or injured than experienced drivers, but a lot of that is due to a lack of road experience. We should be encouraging them to take the Pass Plus test which gives them experience of motorway driving and driving in a variety of weather conditions, including night-time. The Pass Plus test also has the added benefit of a cheaper insurance premium.

“During the first year of driving, new drivers are still learning, so suggestions such as speed limiters I believe would be a good idea. This would stop young drivers from driving too fast when showing off in front of their friends. In my opinion, the suggestion of speed limiters is sensible and would make modified cars safer as well.”

But would speed limiters be the thin end of a very thick wedge?

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline romephius

Re: 'Protect youth from themselves'
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 12:13:23 PM »
This is a REAL problem for the world!  It has been highlighted in the Australian news for several months now, it's at times even to the point of reading a death count of young P Plate drivers.

Much as I hate people blaming society and external sources for peoples bad decisions and mistakes, I have to say that teen over-confidence in their abilities and a burning desire to emulate actions seen in perceived cool movies eg: fast and furious, are a major source of issues.  In my small town, everyone knows the most dangerous night of the week is thursday nights (hoon night).  These attitudes combined with (in my city) a very high average wage paying for performance vehicles, make for what can only be described as, some very scary scenarios on the roads.

I think it's societies duty to protect ourselves and these young drivers, forcibly if we have to.  They may feel punished, but who cares if it saves a life.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle