collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 185
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16157 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: London GP  (Read 7125 times)

vintly

London GP
« on: June 28, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »
So Bernie's talking it up again, a race through central London.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/28/formula-one-bernie-ecclestone-london?newsfeed=true

Is this feasible? Is it hot air? Do you know anyone with an overlooking apartment?

Offline Jericoke

Re: London GP
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:34:07 PM »
The article suggests that Bernie believes it would be more glamourous than the Monaco GP...  I don't really see that happening.  Isn't Monaco a fundamentally 'glamourous' city?  (Nothing against London)

I think it's a good idea though, certainly better than Valencia.  F1's heartland is England, and my guess is they'd sell every single ticket issued.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:47:44 PM »
Joe Saward and James Allen and Kate Walker all think that while Bernie seems to really want a London GP, this particular story is to divert attention from the possibility of Bernie being arrested in Germany for bribery.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »
Joe Saward and James Allen and Kate Walker all think that while Bernie seems to really want a London GP, this particular story is to divert attention from the possibility of Bernie being arrested in Germany for bribery.

It would be a suprise if the German prosecuter, who gave Bernie some type of immunity for his testimony in the Gribkowsky case, tries to put him in the dock. It's relatively easy to make a case against an official of a publicly limited company caught with a load of unauthorised cash in another Tax area, however making a bribery charge stick against an entrepreneur with almost limitless funds for lawyers is a very different undertaking.
There's another reason for the German authorities to hold back, Gribkowsky seems to have plead guilty to the bribery charge to minimize his gaol time, and he certainly did not want a blackmail charge to be made against him so he has to admit to bribery. However if they charge Bernie and he gets off then it would overturn the case against Gribkowsky as well. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that in Germanic Europe, Switzerland included, the onus is on the arrested to prove their innocence, not the other way around like in North America (or Guilty until proven innocent so to speak), so the Germans are probably a little more arrest-happy, and could well go after Bernie if he sets foot in Germany (I wonder if he'll show up at the German race?).  But you're right John, they might give Bernie a pass unless they have an ironclad case against him.  Certainly if there is any doubt, he'll find a way out.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

David

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 10:08:53 PM »
Nice feature with Jenson & Lewis showing how it might look. The final section with the arch looks hairy!  :o

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 11:44:47 PM »
Looks like a cool circuit, as long as they keep Silverstone. Maybe move the GP of Europe there from Valencia.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 02:37:44 AM »
Well, it seems this will only happen if Bernie opens his purse for the promoter's fees. Do you think that is likely? In addition the Inland Revenue would like to know what Bernie was paying Gribkowsky to stay quiet about, and why part of the money seems to have come from the Bambino Trust, which Bernie is supposed to have no control over. If they find malfeasance and overturn the trust, Bernie and family will likely owe billions in back taxes.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »
Looks like a cool circuit, as long as they keep Silverstone. Maybe move the GP of Europe there from Valencia.

I don't know that the one GP per country is a real rule.  Why else would the USA repeatedly get two or even three races?

I do think this will likely let Bernie squeeze Silverstone a little harder though.

I did read one comment though:  the idea of running through London, with all its famous landmarks AT NIGHT?  "And Hamilton has contacted Maldonado in front of Buckingham palace, which you can't see in the background"

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 02:08:13 AM »
This will probably not happen. As I said, Bernie has a lot on his plate at the moment. And for him to front the 35M to promote the race seems totally out of character. But the biggest reason is no one in London with any political power has come forward to support it.
Lonny

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 04:06:23 AM »
Here is a commentary by F1 Kate Walker that seems pretty logical:

http://www.f1katewalker.com/1/post/2012/06/my-london-never-gonna-get-it.html
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 12:27:39 AM »

I wouldn't dare to use logic to explain Bernie's motivations.

Given how often we see parts of London shutdown for various Royal occasions, I should think that the logistical plan is already in place for 90% of the race.  Perhaps Bernie can actually link it up with some royal celebration to minimise the disruption.

As for this 'new' idea of Bernie fronting the race, isn't he doing that in France too?  (I'm sure he's got the government tied up somehow, but I mean, this isn't going to be the first Bernie owned race)  Just because he hasn't done something before isn't a reason to stop him from doing it now, or in the future.  In fact, before he lets go of his mortal coil, I'm convinced he'll own half the races.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 03:28:08 AM »
The French government was to pay the race fee, Bernie would have been the track owner if it had gone to Paul Ricard. The new government wants to return to Magny Cours so if it happens, Bernie will just be in his usual position of money grubbing beneficiary.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »

She makes some pretty good points.  Not sure it takes 6 weeks to stage though - I don't think Monaco has more than a week to put it together and another to rip it down.  Obviously some upgrades of the streets and fencing would remain permanent.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle