collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 500
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is Speed TV Doomed?  (Read 2595 times)

Offline cosworth151

Is Speed TV Doomed?
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:25:18 PM »
I was just listening to Midweek Motorsport on Radio LeMans. They reported 2 rumors that were making the rounds at Suzuka, and neither are good.

Rumor 1: On 1 January 2013, Speed TV will become Fox Sports Network. This would mean an even greater reduction in race coverage than when Fox first took over the late, lamented Speedvision and made Speed TV out of it.

Rumor 2: Fox will drop the Speed F1 team and replace them with the feed from Fox-owned Sky.  :sick: Many people, including me, consider the Speed crew of Hobbs, Varsha, Machett & co. to be the best in the business.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Is Speed TV Doomed?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 10:06:15 PM »
Live F1 coverage is blacked out from Speed in Canada, but I've never been a fan of what I've seen compared to BBC coverage.  I'm not familiar with Sky coverage, of course.

If this means more F1 coverage on Speed, or Fox Sports Network or whatever, then that's fine by me.  I'd like more F1 coverage in Canada though.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:31:21 PM »
There is already a Fox Sports network, so Speed would have to be some kind of addition to it. If it will save them money, I'm sure we're screwed. :'(
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 12:02:36 PM »
Fox has regional sports networks, like the Fox Sports Ohio we get here. As of now, they don't have a single, national sports network.

If anything, it will mean far less F1. There will be less racing in general, except maybe NASCAR. The rest of the time will be filled with soccer, basketball, golf and other pointless things.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 05:37:03 PM »
Too true!!
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »
Looks like NBC or NBC sports will air it in 2013.  Hopefully for you Americans, the broadcast team will remain intact and move to NBC. 

Not sure if that means they will blackout the Canadian broadcast on NBC or not.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-sources-speed-wont-air-f1-after-season

NBC will be a lot easier to pick up on a stream than Sky is.   :good: :good:

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 05:45:25 PM »
Good for me. I can get NBC Sports, but not Speed.

Besides IRL, NBC Sports network (formerly Versus, formerly Outdoor Life) has long carried the Dakar Rally, too. I hope they pick up the Speed crew for their coverage.

― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »
I fear it's more likely we'll get the boring crew that does Indycar, who have zero knowledge of F1. Varsha at least will probably stay at Speed since he covers Barrett-Jackson among other things for them.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »
We already get about 20 sports channels in Canada, so I doubt we'll be getting NBC Sports.

While we can't watch Speed's F1 coverage in Canada, knowing that I can always put on Speed and get a car show was nice.  Watching it turn into just another channel that shows either sports I already get, or obscure sports I don't care about (how many poker and ultimate fighting leagues are there!?), doesn't interest me.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 04:14:01 AM »
Frankly the longer Speed has been on the air, the less racing it has shown. I rarely watch unless it's F1 or Grand Am.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 05:42:37 AM »
I'll bet that things like Barrett-Jackson will bite the dust when the conversion to Fox Sports 1 takes place in January. As you say, Lonny, there has been less and less racing on the network since Fox took them over and changed the name from Speedvision. After January, it will be ultimate fighting, poker, marbles, rock-paper-scissors, golf......
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle