collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 267
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy update  (Read 7424 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Hurricane Sandy update
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 12:22:57 PM »
So how did you guys fare?  I saw there were some downed trees in Toronto, so I guess it was blustery up by Jeri as well.  I think I saw Cos was online, but Dare's been off for a day and a half now.  Hope it is just internet issues.  :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »
I've been here Scotty.I'm far enough inland that all we got was
high winds and colder temperatures.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:29:54 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
Pretty much the same here, plus a little snow. We were supposed to get much higher winds but thankfully it missed us.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 01:31:12 PM »
I think Cred[one of our race chat regs]lives in Pennsylvania,I
hope he fared ok
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 04:00:44 PM »
Didn't even come near me. Yesterday was 89' with a 6 mph breeze.
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »
I can't believe the fact that people have died of carbon monoxide poisoning through having their generator indoors.  :DntKnw:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 05:00:22 PM »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 05:29:36 PM »
I know you can't pick out any one instance, but in that terrible Breezey Point fire where all those homes were destroyed by fire, the reporter said there was a couple who had lived there for 24 years were sifting through the ashes looking for mementoes from their home, nothing at all remained, heartbreaking.

Offline Scott

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 05:49:31 PM »
Wow - amazing pics Wizzo.  Thanks.

David

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 07:46:21 PM »
Yeah Wiz amazing pictures!  :good:

I'm not scared of much, but damm I scared of nature.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »
It makes me think of the years I lived in NYC. Like the governor of New York said, they seem to be having a 100 year storm every couple of years now.

I just heard of one problem I hadn't thought of. They were taking about pumping the water out of the various tunnels and such. They have to pump it clear out into the harbor or it will just drain down into some other tunnel.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2012, 06:55:16 AM »
My uncle(he taught me how to drive) in Long Island says they were not as badly effected like people's in Queens, he has not electricity disruption or water shortage, but my aunt in Pennsylvania was badly effected and have to move to my other aunty in Delaware. I am yet to know about other relatives, hopefully they have all manage to survive this carnage.

My uncle was discharged from the hospital just before two days before the storm struck due heart disease, talk about bad timing, could think worse than that.

I hope our GPW member's family who live in that region will be able to stay away from every bit of trouble..

And remembrance to those life who was taken away the storm, R.I.P for each of them.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2012, 11:32:37 AM »

I just heard of one problem I hadn't thought of. They were taking about pumping the water out of the various tunnels and such. They have to pump it clear out into the harbor or it will just drain down into some other tunnel.

I think there is a huge amount of underestimating repair times and costs for the subway system on the south side of Manhattan in particular.  It was flooded with salt water, which will have destroyed virtually everything electric in the system.  I expect the parts of the subway that are effected will take months to repair and bring back online.  Good luck everyone living below 20th street or so.  They had better first go and paint some bus-only lanes through that area or they may as well close down Wall St, Tribeca and Battery Park. 

Staten Island seems to be the borough with the least help, but the most damage.  The 'forgotten borough' is how some have referred to it.  Manhattan has the cash to fix itself up, but Staten Island is in a bad way.

Offline Ian

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2012, 12:02:20 PM »
But wasn't it the same with hurricane Katrina and New Orleans, the rich areas got sorted first and the poor: ie Hispanic and black areas got forgotten, ignored.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2012, 12:13:20 PM »
I just saw that the Staten Island Ferry is running again. It connects Staten Island to Manhattan, docks at South Ferry (Battery Park). The trouble will be that it connects to the #1 subway line, and who knows when it will be running down through there again.

Staten Island has always gotten short shrift in NYC.

They've also just postponed the New York Marathon that was scheduled for Sunday.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle