collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 588
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bernie says new Formula E like lawnmowers  (Read 3637 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Bernie says new Formula E like lawnmowers
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:22:04 AM »

But pitting to change cars as way to go distance does seem weird.  :swoon:

Bernie Ecclestone on Sunday ridiculed the proposed Formula E series, which claims to be environment-friendly, calling the concept "lawn-mower" and insisting that it is "stupid" to consider it a competition to F1.

Asked how he sees the new series, which will begin from 2014 with 10 races, Ecclestone flatly rejected the very idea.

"I think those sort of things are lawn-mowers. I am not very supportive of this," Bernie Ecclestone said.

FIA President Jean Todt has signed an agreement with a group of investors -- Formula E Holdings Ltd (FEH)-- to stage the Formula E series, which will have 10 teams and 20 drivers.

The Electric Prix will be different from F1 races. These races will happen in one day.

The pole position will be the result of playoffs, with cars racing against another, in a format similar to tennis or the Champions League.

And in the pit-stop, the driver will not change tyres or batteries, but the car itself.

Does Ecclestone sees a competition from Formula E in future? "That would be stupid," he said.

Alejandro Agag, the CEO of Formula E, had said that the series was a future-centric championship.

"The global demand for electric vehicles is growing all the time and we are reflecting that in the sport. This is history in the making and a chance to inspire future generations to curb carbon emissions."

"The automotive industry is currently going through a process of significant transformation that will become increasingly visible. In this transformation, the electric car will play a key role as the most practical way to achieve the goal of more efficient and environmentally friendly vehicles," Agag had said.

Agag, who already supports teams in the GP2 and GP3 series, did not want a comparison with F1.

"We don't compare ourselves to F1. We are not the electric F1, as Luca Montezzemolo said recently, we are Formula E, which is a completely different concept.

"We think F1 is great, and I myself have been part of that world, through my GP2 Team (feeder series to F1) for many years. You cannot compare Skiing and Snowboard. I can guarantee you something, we will be the fastest and most exciting Electric Car Championship in the world," he had stated.

The Formula E races will last about an hour in total and each driver will have two cars. The cars will have a charge lasting around 25 minutes, so there will be a change whilst the first car is re-charged and then another change to the original car for the last part of the race.

The cars will be single seaters, able to reach speeds of over 200km per hour.

ThetimesofIndia.com, 28th Oct.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

Re: Bernie says new Formula E like lawnmowers
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 11:45:35 AM »
I guess English mowers aren't as awesome as American ones.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:36:49 PM »
We take our lawn mowers seriously, Jeri. I've still got the one that we built for my mother back in the 90's with a racing go-cart engine. It will wheelie across the yard. Back in the 80's, a friend of mine had one with a transplanted 305cc Honda Dream engine.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »

Not sure if Bernie was thinking of the 12 hours, :swoon: yes 12 hours to finish a race, or the sort of speeds they get to in mower races like this:-  :D

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 01:54:28 PM »

Not sure if Bernie was thinking of the 12 hours, :swoon: yes 12 hours to finish a race, or the sort of speeds they get to in mower races like this:-  :D

first post said 200km a hour.That's not exactly poking along.Personally
I wouldn't be interested in a E Series but to each his own
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »

Honestly, I'd be interested in an E series, just so long as teams are actually allowed to develop their technology as the season progresses.  I used to love seeing which F1 engine supplier could up their game each weekend. 

If they're issued sealed electric motors that have to last all season, and a standard battery pack forget it.  But if they can put in a quali unit, a race unit, show up each weekend with a better battery, then I'm all for it.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:27:54 PM »
It sounds like it could be built into a fine support series, especially if they go the path that Jeri suggests. The idea of switching cars in mid-race is a non-starter, IMO.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 08:30:58 PM »

Yeah 200k does seem ok but that's obviously a top speed, how good will the average be.  :DntKnw:

Most modern family cars now can make it past 200kph (125mph). I myself managed more than that in 1972 on the M6, heading south out of Scotland on a Sunday morning, in my 2.0 litre Triumph GT6.

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:52:29 PM »
I didn't  realize he TR6 would go that fast John.I came so
close to buying a Spitfire when I was 19.still wished I
would have
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 02:56:01 AM »

No not the TR6 Dare, the GT6. You're right the TR6 with it's 2.5 injection engine was not as fast, at least the one I owned later would not do more than about 115-117 tops. Where as the GT6 with it's light weight, overdrive and twin carbs tuned in just right was a real flyer. Couldn't take corners though, especially the English country lanes I had to regularly drive down - but that's another story ;).  

I wasn't relying on the speedo reading, my passenger was timing a distance against the cars milometer and it topped out downhill at 127mph, the speedo reading was past 135. The whole trip from outskirts of Edinburgh to the outskirts of Birmingham was at an average of 109mph, including some non motorway miles at the start. The old girl was sure on song that day.  :good: Trouble is the twin carbs needed expertly balancing almost daily, or at least every week, so you mostly couldn't do that sort of speed.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:02:14 AM by John S »

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »
Electric is the future, whether we like it or not..

All the car companies and their practical consumer seems to inclining to such conclusion, so our petrol head people, the doom is ahead..

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 11:22:14 AM »
I thought it was Formula E as in Ecclestone  ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »

:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD

Brilliant Scott

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »

Oh very droll Scott.  :D :DD :DD

Bernie may have one or two undesirable traits, however he's certainly a true Petrol-head.  :good:  

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 05:58:22 AM »

Bernie may have one or two undesirable traits, however he's certainly a true Petrol-head.  :good:  

Actually its the only one trait that have kept him alive in the paddock, the only thing that make him tolerable for us. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle