collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 515
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Pathetic or what  (Read 8924 times)

Offline Alonsofan

Re: Pathetic or what
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »
So this must be a geography thing.

In Canada a 'flapjack' is a pancake.  They are almost universally round, as special techniques are needed to make them any other shape.  They are soft and floppy, and if you attempt to make them into a projectile, surely would disintigrate faster than Vettel and Webber's relationship.

The very idea of being hurt by a (Canadian) flapjack is absurd.  Maybe if you were sleeping and someone put one on your face you might suffocate.  Or you could be like McDonald's, and stuff flapjacks with egg, cheese, sausage and salt.  That would work too, but more of a long range plan for hurting someone.

So what is a flapjack in England?

A flapjack is an oat based biscuit or cereal bar which can have all sorts of stuff added in such as raisins, nuts or chocolate chips. The plainer the healthier. Not a fan really a bit plain for my tastes ;)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »
In my old high school, it was probably far safer to throw the food than it was to eat it.  :sick:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »
My favourite school dinner was steak and kidney pie, lovely.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

vintly

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »
So this must be a geography thing.

In Canada a 'flapjack' is a pancake.  They are almost universally round, as special techniques are needed to make them any other shape.  They are soft and floppy, and if you attempt to make them into a projectile, surely would disintigrate faster than Vettel and Webber's relationship.

The very idea of being hurt by a (Canadian) flapjack is absurd.  Maybe if you were sleeping and someone put one on your face you might suffocate.  Or you could be like McDonald's, and stuff flapjacks with egg, cheese, sausage and salt.  That would work too, but more of a long range plan for hurting someone.

So what is a flapjack in England?

In the UK it's a slab of oats mixed with syrup. You might eat one alongside some crisps - I mean chips, or biscuits - sorry cookies, oh bother just have some chocolate.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 12:55:13 PM »
I don't agree with the whole 'nanny state' critique, and nor do I agree with anything ever written in The Sun.

On this particular subject, however, I will say that they're looking at the wrong issue.  The issue which should be being discussed is why discipline is so poor in the school that they are allowed to throw flapjacks at each other in the first place.  That's the real issue here.  Such behaviour would have been stopped at my school, so quite why they can't stop it at the school in question is beyond me.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
I don't agree with the whole 'nanny state' critique, and nor do I agree with anything ever written in The Sun.

On this particular subject, however, I will say that they're looking at the wrong issue.  The issue which should be being discussed is why discipline is so poor in the school that they are allowed to throw flapjacks at each other in the first place.  That's the real issue here.  Such behaviour would have been stopped at my school, so quite why they can't stop it at the school in question is beyond me.

While I agree with you in spirit (the problem isn't the thrown food, the problem is that the food was thrown), the practicalities are far more complicated.  Children learn their discipline from parents, teachers and other autority figures.  You can insist that teachers are stricter, but it still requires involvement of the parents.  If the parents raise kids who throw food, then the teachers will have to deal with kids who throw food. 

Sometimes the best solution to a complicated problem is just to remove the weapons.

Offline Ian

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »
If we'd have started throwing food at lunchtime when I was at school it would have been the cane, no suspensions or lines, just, hold your hand out boy, you wouldn't have thrown food again.

Offline Dare

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »
My favourite school dinner was steak and kidney pie, lovely.

I like chilli[spaghetti in it],peanut butter sandwich,and a
stick of cheese.Washed down with a pint of ale

Spaghetti in chilli must be a Southern thing,my mother lives
in Baltimore and her friends never heard of it or liked it
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 03:20:31 PM »
Me neither.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »
If we'd have started throwing food at lunchtime when I was at school it would have been the cane, no suspensions or lines, just, hold your hand out boy, you wouldn't have thrown food again.

We'd have loved a slap on the hand Ian, at my school it was the rump that took the punishment in the bending position.  :D 
And if any padding (exercise books or gym shirts were favourites) was found an extra two twhacks were applied.  :'(

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »
The cane hurt John, whether it was across the rump or the hand, plus the teacher knew whether you were left or right handed.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »

Sure did Ian, kids have it cushy now eh?  ::) 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 06:04:03 PM »
Yeh, but I'm still glad I was young back then and not now.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Yeh, but I'm still glad I was young back then and not now.

You was young once?  :DD
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

vintly

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 06:14:06 PM »

Sure did Ian, kids have it cushy now eh?  ::)

There's the problem. A lot of parents are scared to be disciplinarians, and teachers aren't allowed to be. I find that waking up my kids with a slap across the face keeps them in line all day.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle