collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 170
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11271 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Pathetic or what  (Read 8914 times)

Offline Ian

Re: Pathetic or what
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
I was waiting for something like that, should have known better.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 07:10:45 PM »
I find that waking up my kids with a slap across the face keeps them in line all day.  ;)

:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD  I shared that one with my kids - they didn't get how funny that was.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »
That was a good one vintly, yeh Scott, my son didn't think it was that funny either.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »
We'd have loved a slap on the hand Ian, at my school it was the rump that took the punishment in the bending position.  :D

Same here. We used to call it a "board meeting."

Spaghetti in chilli must be a Southern thing,my mother lives
in Baltimore and her friends never heard of it or liked it

Often, we would get a three day cycle: First day, spaghetti. Second day, chilli. Third day, spaghetti soup (the left over spaghetti and chilli mixed together & watered down enough to stretch it out.)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »
Don't remember much about it, but every Friday was Hot Dog day, so most kids who had brought their own lunch would bin it and get some dogs   :yahoo: :yahoo:

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 02:19:15 AM »
A stroll down any shopping mall should be enough to demonstrate that the kids are in charge these days. Any teacher that dared to swat a child would have an irate parent demanding they be fired before the end of the day.
Lonny

Offline Irisado

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »
While I agree with you in spirit (the problem isn't the thrown food, the problem is that the food was thrown), the practicalities are far more complicated.  Children learn their discipline from parents, teachers and other autority figures.  You can insist that teachers are stricter, but it still requires involvement of the parents.  If the parents raise kids who throw food, then the teachers will have to deal with kids who throw food. 

Sometimes the best solution to a complicated problem is just to remove the weapons.

I agree that the parents are critical in this too, I just didn't mention it in my previous post.  Schools in this country are going down the road now whereby the parents and children have all the power, and the teachers have none.  Weak ineffective heads who push bits of paper around desks, and just strive to meet Ofsted targets don't help.

On a separate point, the answer, incidentally, isn't to go back to corporal punishment.  Physical beatings don't work.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »

On a separate point, the answer, incidentally, isn't to go back to corporal punishment.  Physical beatings don't work.

Well having received corporal punishment on about a half dozen occasions, from school and parents, I would contest that statement.
Certainly put me off repeating some of the misdeeds that I was implicated in, where as school detentions did not.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 11:28:30 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2013, 11:38:36 AM »
I would contest that statement too John, the teachers ruled the school and you never argued with them, we never had detentions or lines, it was a swift stroke of the cane, and as you said, you behaved after that, plus you certainly never ran home and told your dad  because you would have got another one off of him.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »
+1. In my day it was parents and teachers on the same side, now it's parents and children against teachers.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
I had it even worse, Lonny. My dad worked at the elementary school I attended.

This story just made it on to the National Public Radio program Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. It's a weekly comedy news quiz. They jokingly referred to them as "granola ninja throwing stars."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 09:45:42 PM »
So, rather than explaining why behaving in the way in which they are is inappropriate, and actually talking to children, the answer is to beat them? Nope I can't go along with that.  It's just a different form of physical and psychological abuse.

You don't need corporal punishment to have effective discipline in schools.  All you need is teachers who are strict enough to enforce the rules, and successive governments to stop taking power away from teachers to enforce those rules.  The current model is skewed so far in favour of parents and students that it's not funny.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ian

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 10:11:19 PM »
Sorry, but explaining the error of their ways just does not work, a simple analogy explains why.....

As a teenager you never gobbed off the big boy on the block because you would get a pasting.
A teacher is the big boy on the block, ergo, you gob him off and you get a pasting.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »
Children are all different, some respond to a discussion, some will not respond without a smack on the bottom. You don't have to raise a welt, just remind them that you could.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 07:25:32 AM »
Vast majority don't need corporal punishment, but the fear of it sure helps  ;)

I think this thread has taken a big turn from what was really a tongue in cheek remark.  :fool:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle