collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 292
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Honda announce F1 return with McLaren  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Dare

Honda announce F1 return with McLaren
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »

from PlanetF1

Honda have confirmed that they will return to Formula One in 2015 as an engine partner to McLaren.

Honda last competed in Formula One back in 2008 when they owned the works team Honda Racing.

However, after a disappointing few years, the company withdrew, selling their Formula One team to Ross Brawn who went on to win the Championship double a year later.

The Japanese manufacturer, though, is now set to return, however, as an engine supplier rather than team owners.

It was announced on Thursday that the company would team up with McLaren, who they previously partnered in the late 1980s, winning World titles with Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna.

"It's fantastic news for everyone who loves Formula 1 to be able to welcome Honda back to Formula 1," said McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh. "Together, we're about to embark on a new and extremely exciting chapter in McLaren's history.

"Like McLaren, Honda is a company with motor racing woven into the fabric of its heritage. We're proud and thrilled to be joining forces once more to take on the world in Formula 1.

"Whilst both companies are fully aware that we're embarking on a very demanding journey together, we're hugely committed to the success of the partnership, and we'll spend the next 18 months working together to ensure that we're fully established and competitive ahead of our first grand prix together in 2015.

"The names of McLaren and Honda are synonymous with success in Formula 1, and, for everyone who works for both companies, the weight of our past achievements together lies heavily on our shoulders.

"But it's a mark of the ambition and resolve we both share that we want once again to take McLaren-Honda to the very pinnacle of Formula 1 success. Together we have a great legacy - and we're utterly committed to maintaining it."

Honda will supply the Woking-based outfit with 1.6-litre turbocharged V6 engines from 2015 onwards.

The announcement means next season will be McLaren's last with Mercedes, who they have partnered since 1995.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

Re: Honda announce F1 return with McLaren
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 01:04:05 PM »
Several of us had forecast this and I think it is great news.
It makes a lot of sense for Honda to enter when all of the engine suppliers are having to design new turbo engines.
All we need now is a good Cosworth back in F1.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:52:47 PM »
I think they are re-entering a year late.  They will be a full year behind the other engine manufacturers with the little turbos.  That is a growing pain year I'm sure Mclaren would rather not do in 2015 when the other manu's have solved the gremlins.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »
The deal won't be exclusive. Honda is free to supply other teams.

McLaren managing director Jonathan Neale said, "It is better if Honda answers that directly, but all engine suppliers coming in to F1 know they are doing so with the expectation that should they be required, they are prepared to supply more than one team," he said. "We have no illusions, and we have a lot of work to be ready for 2015. But should the FIA or Bernie [Ecclestone] request, then Honda is aware of that situation. It is not exclusive in that respect."

http://www.racer.com/mclaren-says-honda-deal-not-exclusive/article/293597/?DCMP=EMC-RACER_DAILY&spMailingID=6157588&spUserID=MjMyNjk2NjU2MQS2&spJobID=73695759&spReportId=NzM2OTU3NTkS1

I've also read speculation that McLaren will receive the engines for free.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:07:56 PM »
I think they are re-entering a year late.  They will be a full year behind the other engine manufacturers with the little turbos.  That is a growing pain year I'm sure Mclaren would rather not do in 2015 when the other manu's have solved the gremlins.

I'd suggest the delay in the announcement was due to ensuring they could produce a prototype unit that doesn't embarass the company.  It doesn't help anyone to announce last year, and then pull the plug this year.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:02:22 PM »

:yahoo: :yahoo: One of my favourite drivers back with another of my all time favourites.  :yahoo: :yahoo:

Shame we have to wait until 2015 though.  :( 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:50:45 PM »
This is how manufacturers should get involved in F1 in my opinion, as engine suppliers, and not as teams.  I wish Honda well with its come back, and will throw a new variable into the mix at the top, since the top teams have used the same engines for years now.  A change should spice things up a bit.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 09:59:25 PM »
If Honda have not been developing an engine secretly , it will be hard for Honda to catch up the rest. Although the records would say that the association with Honda had proved great, but trouble of their own team in recent years worries me most.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle