collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 400
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: It's LeMans Week!  (Read 7466 times)

Offline cosworth151

It's LeMans Week!
« on: June 09, 2015, 01:21:33 PM »
The 24 Heures du Mans is this week-end! This will be about the last chance to watch it before the Fools In Authority destroy the LMP2 class.

The LMP1 should be quite a race. Front engines, mid engines, gas, diesel, V8, V6, V4, turbo, non-turbo - proof that great racing is possible without going to a semi-spec racer formula.

GT will also be quite a show. Front, mid & rear engines, V10, V8, flat 6...

The schedule is available here:

http://www.24h-lemans.com/live/en/

Radio LeMans also has extensive, round the clock coverage all week:

http://www.radiolemans.com/

Andy Blackmore has his always excellent Spotters Guide:

http://www.spotterguides.com/portfolio/15lm/

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: It's LeMans Week!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »
Hope to catch a little of it.

I'll have to see if it's on TV anywhere in Canada (We've only got about 20 English language sports channels though, you'd think one might pick it up)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »
Fox Sports is claiming to have flag to flag coverage.  As well there is this website, which will be streaming most of the weekend I think.

http://www.lemans-tv.com
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:51:03 PM »
Fox Sports is claiming to have flag to flag coverage.  As well there is this website, which will be streaming most of the weekend I think.

http://www.lemans-tv.com

I had no idea I got that channel.  What a pleasant surprise.  I wonder what other channels I'm (over) paying for that I've never seen.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:44:26 AM »
Radio Le Mans says they will also have a live video feed beginning one hour prior to the start. See the link in my initial post.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 02:17:02 PM »
Nico Hulkenberg wins Le Mans! He, Earl Bamber & Nick Tandy drove the #19 Porsche 919 to victory in the 2015 Le Mans. Tandy is the 30th British driver to win the 24 hours. Mark Webber, Timo Bernard & Brendon Hartley took second in Porsche #17.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:19:56 PM by cosworth151 »
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:26 AM »
Nico Hulkenberg wins Le Mans! He, Earl Bamber & Nick Tandy drove the #19 Porsche 919 to victory in the 2015 Le Mans. Tandy is the 30th British driver to win the 24 hours. Mark Webber, Timo Bernard & Brendon Hartley took second in Porsche #17.

I did manage to catch the last hour.

Same guys that made me not watch Speed for F1 coverage.  They couldn't say the last active F1 driver to win LeMans... if only they had 24 hours and Google to find out....  :DntKnw:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »
I had the audio muted with Radio Le Mans turned up for the commentary. BTW, the last active F1 driver to win Le Mans was Johnny Herbert in a Mazda 787B in 1991. His co drivers were Volker Weidler and Bertrand Gachot.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 03:45:33 PM »
I had the audio muted with Radio Le Mans turned up for the commentary. BTW, the last active F1 driver to win Le Mans was Johnny Herbert in a Mazda 787B in 1991. His co drivers were Volker Weidler and Bertrand Gachot.

I know that the Canadian GP coincided with LeMans for a long time.

I remember that Martin Brundle, who was driving at Le Mans, would be replaced by an actual Canadian alongside Murry Walker for the BBC coverage.  (Even included Greg Moore (RIP) one year!)

Given the opportunity to race Le Mans, I'm not surprised more drivers didn't go.  Surely Kimi or Vettel would love to take a crack at Le Mans.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 04:05:14 PM »
There were rumors that Alonso wanted to race there this year, but McLaren said no.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 05:55:43 PM »
There were rumors that Alonso wanted to race there this year, but McLaren said no.

Wouldn't want him to feel what it's like to drive a race car >:D

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 01:25:24 AM »
F1 team managers don't like their drivers doing Le Mans because of the high potential for a huge crash. The heavy traffic with "Sportsman" drivers who don't watch their mirrors and the closing speed of a 919 catching a 458 make for a very dangerous race. It's actually amazing they don't have more accidents than they they do,
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 05:09:44 PM »
F1 team managers don't like their drivers doing Le Mans because of the high potential for a huge crash. The heavy traffic with "Sportsman" drivers who don't watch their mirrors and the closing speed of a 919 catching a 458 make for a very dangerous race. It's actually amazing they don't have more accidents than they they do,

If you're suggesting that Nico was seen as 'expendable' then why wasn't Kimi out there in a Ferrari?  |-(

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »
Don't know how Nico's bosses feel about him. I doubt that they hold him as dear as Ferd or Lewis. It is generally true that F1 drivers have clauses in their contracts that prevent them from doing dangerous things, esp. in season. I'm glad for Nico, I don't think he is rated as highly as he should be in F1.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 05:51:47 PM »
Don't know how Nico's bosses feel about him. I doubt that they hold him as dear as Ferd or Lewis. It is generally true that F1 drivers have clauses in their contracts that prevent them from doing dangerous things, esp. in season. I'm glad for Nico, I don't think he is rated as highly as he should be in F1.

I did mean my comment in jest.

But seriously, given the number of F1 drivers who would love to race LeMans (I presume Hulk wasn't the only one), and that LeMans is supposedly a marketting opportunity, why aren't the F1 drivers out there with their partner teams? 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle