collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 298
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Roberto Mehri excluded from Formula Renault race  (Read 3256 times)

Offline F1fanaticBD

Roberto Mehri excluded from Formula Renault race
« on: July 15, 2015, 09:34:12 AM »
Had it happened in F1, would they be this hard on the driver? I know Romain Grosjean has been punished with such verdict, but my question lies on which ground he would have been punished? Endangering safety of others?  :DntKnw:
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/13248069/roberto-merhi-excluded-formula-renault-35-races

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Roberto Mehri excluded from Formula Renault race
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:09:51 AM »

I find this a easy one to call BD, deffo Mehri's fault.  :crazy: Asleep at the wheel seems to be the phrase that fits best.  :fool:

So in answer to your question I think F1 stewards would react the same way.

On the video I've posted below it looks very nasty & avoidable shunt, Mehri just seems bring the car to a crawl after the finish line. Now he claims he had an issue with his car - well maybe  :DntKnw: - but shouldn't he have pulled much further to the right then, other guys were still fighting each other at racing speed for places at the finish.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:24:15 AM »
Thank you for the video John,   :good:

Now I am more confused than before, he was not blocking the racing line, and if you could see the other cars, they never went his way. One could argue he should have bee more to the right, but I doubt it would have avoided the accident as Latifi was really on the charge. Excluding him for this seems pretty harsh, I am not saying its wrong, but its harsh.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 12:04:54 PM »
I find the whole tradition of slowing in front of your pit box to be annoying and obviously in this case, dangerous. 

The drivers can hug and congratulate the team in the pits after another lap. 

In this case I will side with John.  I don't think he was asleep at the wheel though, just showed complete disrespect for other drivers behind him.  Good, you got 4th, now drive around and pit the car.  The guy who plotted into the back of him was fighting for a place he might have actually managed to get if he didn't have to slam the brakes on and prepare for a massive collision.  Ban Mehri for a couple of races for creating a very dangerous situation.

On a straightaway, there IS no racing line.  Every last bit of the asphalt is for racing.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 12:14:08 PM »
I'm glad they were both unhurt and that Lafiti was able to swerve at the last moment. At least he didn't spear Mehri full tilt nose first.

I agree with the decision. Mehri had no business slowing to a crawl on a live track that way. It was a thoughtless, dangerous move.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 01:58:37 PM »
Merhi reckoned he had a suspension problem on Twitter... ...which doesn't answer the question of why he left the car there, of all places. Even taken at face value, I'd have to exclude him for gross carelessness!

In F1, they'd probably get 100 lines and a 10-place grid penalty.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 01:27:52 AM »
I have to throw some blame at Lafiti. He had room on either side to avoid a collision and it looked like he had time to move. He either didn't realize how slowly Mehri was going or he froze. Major blame to Mehri, side of blame to Lafiti.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 11:16:21 AM »
I have to throw some blame at Lafiti. He had room on either side to avoid a collision and it looked like he had time to move. He either didn't realize how slowly Mehri was going or he froze. Major blame to Mehri, side of blame to Lafiti.

I don't blame Latifi, but he had the chance to avoid, I am not saying Mehri should not be punished, but excluding him from a competition where each appearence is worth millions in contract in future, seems a bit harsh. Did stewards punished him because he is a full time F1 driver, and may repeat the gesture in a grand prix, so better kill the bird early?  :DntKnw:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle