collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 502
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rosberg retires!  (Read 5878 times)

guest3164

Re: Rosberg retires!
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 01:31:23 PM »
I should imagine there are exit clauses in contracts for such situations and Nico isn't the first to retire.  I guess his situation is exceptional but still, Mercedes have left themselves in an odd position if they don't have a reserve driver they actually trust to step in should anything happen to one of their drivers that would have prevented them racing for any reason. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 02:50:29 PM »
"Nico tells us that if he had not become world champion, he would have gone on. I think he could at least have hinted at this when he agreed to the contract"
translation...we could have arranged that he not win this year so he could finish his contract  ;) ;)

I've said before in other topics that Rosberg is being very selfish by leaving Merc in the lurch.

What F1 driver isn't selfish?  I don't know that you can suggest a 3 times WCC is really being left in the lurch.  They still have every advantage for next year with the engine rules only slightly changing.  They would lose more in PR terms if they sued Rosberg than they would spend on replacing him.  It would only be a vindictive move.  How about they sue Niki to get back whatever they've paid a guy who won't even wear a stitch of Mercedes kit to the races while he pretends he is some kind of executive.

I don't even see why they would go after Bottas.  Werhlein has more than proven himself in the slowest car in the field.  :DntKnw: :DntKnw:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:12:12 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »
I've said before in other topics that Rosberg is being very selfish by leaving Merc in the lurch.  >:(  Sure he has a right to do it, however his grounds of achieving his lifelong desire are a bit thin.

He signed a 2 year deal this summer knowing that he would walk if he became WDC smacks of extreme selfishness towards all the mechanics, engineers, designers and other assorted dedicated members of the Merc F1 team.

He could have stayed for one more year to help with the transition to the new wider track cars under the new regs, if the new car is off the pace then yes he could consider leaving mid season if things can't be improved.

I think Merc should sue him for breaking his contact and recoup some of the millions it's paid him, they could use it to pay compensation to the team they take his replacement from.

I think it would be more selfish to race in an F1 car when you don't want to.  There are dozens of drivers who are good enough to win the WDC driving the same car Rosberg just quit.  If he doesn't want it, it would selfish to deny the dreams of others.

I agree that it looks bad with people not honouring contracts, however, I'm sure he's still bound by clauses in the contract, even if he's not in the car itself.  Making sponsor appearances, avoiding dangerous activities etc.  If he breaks those, then go after him  ;)

Offline Dare

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 04:06:50 PM »
The year Lauda had the bad accident and came back he
quit the Japan GP giving the title to Hunt.So he's telling
quitter Ros not to be a quitter
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

guest3164

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 05:31:58 PM »
He clearly believes in the 'Do as I say, not as I do' form of leadership.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »

That's a bit harsh Dare considering that Lauda was nearly burnt to death that year and could not afford to crash again in a torrential downpour, I remember watching the race (in black and white) and it was difficult to see on the TV.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Dare

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 03:56:52 AM »

That's a bit harsh Dare considering that Lauda was nearly burnt to death that year and could not afford to crash again in a torrential downpour, I remember watching the race (in black and white) and it was difficult to see on the TV.

Probably a little too harsh but he always rings my bell.Like
Scott I wonder why he can't wear Mercedes gear?He used to
wear a Ferrari hat by gosh

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 11:23:07 AM »

Probably a little too harsh but he always rings my bell.Like
Scott I wonder why he can't wear Mercedes gear?He used to
wear a Ferrari hat by gosh

Just like Lewis he wont wear their hat until a separate money arrangement is concluded for wearing it.

They gave in to Hammy as they found they could sell bucket loads of his ordinary & different coloured hats,
but only a very few Lauda caps will sell - so they ignore him.  :D   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2016, 12:33:07 PM »
Too bad Parmalat couldn't afford Niki any more after the scandal. He probably still has a couple of warehouses full of those caps.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 09:00:53 PM »
I was also completely taken aback by Rosberg's decision to retire, but I understand entirely why he chose to.  In fact, I think that it was rather honest and courageous of him to come out and admit that he'd had to put so much mental effort into beating Hamilton that he knew he couldn't go through that again, and had to stop on that basis.  Not every driver would ever have been so honest.

As for replacements, Wehrlein needs more experience before being thrown in the deep end to battle Hamilton, so Bottas will take the second seat.  It's just a matter of working out exactly how Mercedes will compensate Williams to get him.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle