collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 533
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 中国大奖赛 (Chinese GP)  (Read 9417 times)

Online cosworth151

Re: 中国大奖赛 (Chinese GP)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 06:40:49 AM »
In an attempt to find anything that will improve the performance of their Honda (under)powered cars, McLaren has replaced their T-Wing with a 1967 Channel Master TV antenna.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 10:59:45 AM »
 :DD :DD :DD  Hilarious Cos...I remember seeing one of those.

Nice to finish a race in the top rank for a change...too bad Dare is also there...he's pulling away quickly, we should throw some fake F1 news his way and make him think Sauber is on the way to the top next race.  8) 8)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 03:21:43 PM »
:DD :DD :DD  Hilarious Cos...I remember seeing one of those.

Nice to finish a race in the top rank for a change...too bad Dare is also there...he's pulling away quickly, we should throw some fake F1 news his way and make him think Sauber is on the way to the top next race.  8) 8)

I'm not falling for that one.Last year you told me
Manor was the car of the future.

The end of the race particularly the closing few
laps were pretty good.Thought the RB's might take
each other out for awile
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 04:10:08 PM »
It won't be a good week for the Sauber crew. 5 days to repair Giovinazzi's car while moving everything to Bahrain. Parts may be in short supply, too. I wonder who will be driving the car next week-end.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Robem64

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 08:16:34 PM »
It won't be a good week for the Sauber crew. 5 days to repair Giovinazzi's car while moving everything to Bahrain. Parts may be in short supply, too. I wonder who will be driving the car next week-end.

Maybe they'll ask the safety car driver to stand in!
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 10:57:42 PM »
Heroes

Verstappen - those of you who have known me a while will know that I am Not a Fan of young Max. So if I tell you he did the drive of the race, with scintillating overtakes and lots of class...

Alonso - for getting into 7th (for a while) with a bright orange wheeled slug. And putting a brave face on it when McLaren's 25% reliability record showed up.

Sainz - super strategy, which would have been really easy to mess up (Palmer). Would have been 10-20 seconds further up the road had he not had the worst first lap I've ever seen that didn't result in a damaged car or DNF. (You know the rest of Carlos' race is good when even this doesn't disqualify him from the "heroes" category when the competition for it is so strong).

Honourable mention:

Hamilton - smooth running, good strategy, excellent fan interaction throughout the weekend.

Zeroes

The FIA - for deciding the best way of solving the weather problem was to shift a neurosurgery unit to a hospital not cleared for FIA neurosurgery use, without enough time to do the tests necessary to check whether this was viable. Gary Hartstein said that it is not possible to move a full neurosurgical unit in the 24 hours cited - it would have to have been a partial unit. Driver insurance requires the race provisions legislated for in series requirements to be present.

As such, this rushed move would have invalidated every driver's insurance, preventing the F1 race from happening at all, were it not for the fact that the clouds left shortly before the race. (At least in the previous situation, the race could have happened when the weather improved - once insurance is revoked for a race, it stays revoked until the next one). That is, unless the neurosurgical unit that was moved was the one at the FIA's original designated hospital, in which case the insurance was invalidated anyway. It is difficult to emphasise how much of a blooper this was. The FIA is extremely lucky this didn't blow up in their faces (my lawyers advised me not to continue this rant)...

Bottas - double-spinning is great if you are in the ballet. It is less great when you are in a potentially race-winning car and you've got lots of rivals eager to make more spaces.

Giovanazzi - two crashes in two days at almost the same place (albeit for different reasons) is never going to make for a good weekend. I hope he doesn't take it too much to heart, as from what I gather he's one of the more sensitive drivers to join F1.

Dishonourable mention:

Perez - what was that overtake on Stroll about? It was never going to work. The lack of regulatory or mechanical consequences surely earned Sergio the Jammy Dodger award of the race.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 01:30:45 AM »
No love for Vettel? I'm not a Seb fan, but he made some quality passes as well.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 08:29:32 AM »
No love for Vettel? I'm not a Seb fan, but he made some quality passes as well.

This is very true. Should have included him in the "honourable mentions" list. It was a high-quality race :)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 12:19:50 PM »
For me a great point was made on commentary. On this track it appeared that DRS had a negligible effect in terms of overtaking. However, to me this had a positive effect as the DRS possibly got them a little closer on the straights but forced drivers to then think more about considering their overtaking opportunities. The number of overtakes was less in the race but the quality of pass was much more exciting.

Personally, I'm all for seeing dives on the inside / outside etc instead of constant straight line passing purely because one car has less drag at a moment in time.

Looking forward to Bahrain already  :D
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 05:05:12 PM »
Lost in translation...

I missed the whole whine fest of Verstappen in the closing laps.  What was the problem?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 05:18:32 PM »
He wanted Charlie to order Grosjean to move over, despite the fact that he was never within a second of Romain. He claimed that the wash off the Haas was causing the R/B to understeer and allowing Ricciardo to catch him. Daniel had the heat on Max dialled up to high in the closing laps. Stupidest thing I've ever seen, Grosjean was easily maintaining a gap.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 05:47:07 PM »
He wanted Charlie to order Grosjean to move over, despite the fact that he was never within a second of Romain. He claimed that the wash off the Haas was causing the R/B to understeer and allowing Ricciardo to catch him. Daniel had the heat on Max dialled up to high in the closing laps. Stupidest thing I've ever seen, Grosjean was easily maintaining a gap.

If Max is right, then that is one interesting side benefit of the new aero rules.  Makes it difficult for leading cars to close to blue flag distance on back markers, giving the pursuing cars a chance to catch up.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 07:30:09 PM »
According to Steve Matchett on NBC, you start to feel the wash around 1.3 to 1.6 seconds back. I think Max's real problem was that his tires were older or at least in worse condition than Romain's. He has a reputation for being hard on his tires when he is in full attack mode; which he was for most of this race.Whatever. It's not reasonable to expect Charlie to order a car to move over when you can't even get close to it. Just Max being the spoiled, entitled, immature child that he is.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »
According to Steve Matchett on NBC, you start to feel the wash around 1.3 to 1.6 seconds back. I think Max's real problem was that his tires were older or at least in worse condition than Romain's. He has a reputation for being hard on his tires when he is in full attack mode; which he was for most of this race.Whatever. It's not reasonable to expect Charlie to order a car to move over when you can't even get close to it. Just Max being the spoiled, entitled, immature child that he is.

I suppose it depends on the 'spirit' of the blue flag rules.  If a backmarker 1.6 seconds up the road really is interfering with a car trying to lap them, then it is a legitimate complaint.

On the other hand, if a blue flag is seen as a safety feature indicating a faster car you're not competing with is approaching so keep clear, then Max is just whining.

I'm with the 'Max whining' spirit of blue flags, but if the FIA wants to let the leaders get on with it, they may have to look into when a blue flag  should be used.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 09:24:41 PM »
I think a Blue Flag should only be used if the slower car is deliberately blocking. Otherwise, traffic is a part of racing, deal with it. If aero wash is a real problem change the rules, but Max had little problem passing faster cars than the Haas earlier in the race.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle