collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 406
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: IndyCar Without Drivers  (Read 1643 times)

Offline cosworth151

IndyCar Without Drivers
« on: January 14, 2021, 04:03:19 PM »
When Darth Penske took over IndyCar & The Speedway, I expected the worst. I didn't realize how bad the worst would be.

On October 23rd, the Dallaras will be racing at The Speedway. The drivers won't. The Dark Lord has found a way to make racing pointless. The Indy Autonomous Challenge. Well, at least they (hopefully) won't be running down innocent bystanders like their open road brethren are best known for.

For some reason, the intro vid keeps talking about the achievements of drivers over the years. I don't think future vids talking about "the heroic 2021 race performance bu Chip# D7RTV469" will be nearly as inspiring.  :sick:

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: IndyCar Without Drivers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 05:13:22 PM »
While all of us probably enjoy driving, driverless cars are coming and a lot of people want them. I am not any kind of fan of Penske's, but to be fair this is not replacing the 500 but in addition to it. I'm sure the overhead at the Speedway is huge and he needs to find a lot of ways to get more use from it. He's always been interested in profit as much as competition.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 06:38:39 PM »
So without drivers it's gonna bring a whole new meaning to 'if you can't beat em wreck em'!  ;)
Think they should just bill it the most high tech Demolition Derby in history. They'd get a better crowd. 

Thought the point of automated cars was to transport people,  :confused: running empty cars is hardly gonna fill us all with more confidence about the damn things, now is it.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 08:17:11 PM »
F1 had the ability to run cars driverless years ago with active suspension and the computerised systems fo launch control. I remember an interview with a team principal, I cannot remember which one, saying that the driver takes his finger off a button at the start and the car will do the rest including braking and cornering but whether it included avoiding other cars was not mentioned. It may have been Ron Dennis.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 01:55:08 PM »
This isn't such a new idea.

Self driving cars have been competing for the Piston Cup for decades.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle