collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 336
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: How good is Hamilton?  (Read 6622 times)

Offline Wizzo

How good is Hamilton?
« on: June 24, 2007, 03:24:19 PM »

David Coulthard admits he will never forget the day Lewis Hamilton asked him for advice.

And the grand prix veteran, at 36 the oldest man on the grid, reckons the reply he gave might well have played a part, even if only in a small way, in setting Britain's wonderkid on his way to the world championship.

"I'd known Lewis since he was a little boy," said Coulthard last week. "And I'll never forget that day when we were walking around the Hugo Boss store in Stuttgart and chatting.

"Lewis was driving in the Euro F3 category at the time but wanted to move to GP2. McLaren wanted him to stay in Euro F3 because they felt he needed more experience, but Lewis wasn't happy and asked me whether he should move on from McLaren.

"Now, I've had problems with McLaren in my time, but my advice to him that day was to stay put because McLaren would nurture him. A few years on and it looks like good advice, don't you think? I'm the guy's biggest fan and I even feel I might have played a minor part in his subsequent success."

The key to Coulthard's story, which he tells not as a boast but simply to shed light on the irresistible rise of Hamilton in his debut season in Formula One, is that the Scot, while applauding the massive talents of the 22-yearold currently heading the drivers' championship by 10 points after back-to-back F1 victories, believes the part played by McLaren in sport's most compelling story of the year cannot be underestimated.

"Don't get me wrong," said Red Bull driver Coulthard. "I'm just trying to lay out all the factors for you, factors which Lewis would be the first to admit. But there's no doubt about it. Lewis is the right man, at the right time and in the right place.

"Last year McLaren failed to win a single race. If they had continued in that vein this year, people might be recognising Lewis's talent but he would not have become the story of the year. Likewise, if McLaren produce a dog of a car next season, people will start saying: 'What's gone wrong with Lewis?'

"The bottom line is that McLaren have the two best cars on the grid. Then Ferrari, and then BMW. That's why their six drivers lay currently one to six in the drivers' championship, and that's why they fill the first three places in the constructors' race. The McLaren drivers should finish either first or second in every race. Second is a disappointing result for whichever McLaren driver it may be. Third, with that car, is bordering on the disastrous."

Coulthard's credentials are impeccable. Now in his 14th season, he has scored more F1 points than any British driver in history and he has raced against some of the most iconic figures in the sport.

The names of two of them — Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna — are thrown into the mix as Coulthard evaluates Hamilton's talents.

"How good is Lewis?" he said. "Undoubtedly, the guy is very special. I'd say he is a combination of the two Brawn has left them. That has to be a factor," said Coulthard.

He also offers a technical reason for Hamilton stealing a march on his McLaren team-mate, two-time world champion Fernando Alonso, who currently trails the Briton by 10 points in the drivers' championship.

Coulthard said: "Last year, Fernando was driving on Michelin tyres with Renault. Lewis was driving on Bridgestones in GP2. This year, McLaren are using Bridgestones and, believe me, from a driver's viewpoint, it takes a little time to get used to driving on new tyres. Lewis hasn't needed to."

So is Hamilton's achievement not quite so remarkable as the world seems to believe? Coulthard, speaking at Wembley Stadium where he will be featuring in the Race of Champions event in December, shakes his head and laughs.

"Oh no, it's remarkable, all right," he said. "You ask any of the drivers and they'd all say that they knew all about Lewis before he joined F1 this season. Most of us have trodden the same path as him, so we all knew by what he was achieving in the lesser categories that he possesses bags of talent.

"But there's plenty about the story that has surprised me. McLaren's total dominance, for one, has taken us all aback. To go from no wins last season to their current position is amazing.

"Perhaps the biggest surprise has been Lewis's performances. He's an F1 rookie and in seven races so far he's produced virtually flawless drives. Supposedly better and experienced drivers like Fernando and Kimi Raikkonen have been making mistakes, but not Lewis.

"The fact that he's beaten, fair and square, his team-mate and double world champion is very, very impressive."

Indeed, the season has not gone at all to plan for Alonso, who left Renault after winning back-to-back titles to join McLaren, only to be overshadowed by a rookie who was supposed to be learning from the Spaniard.

Signs of a rift between the McLaren of them. He possesses Senna's natural talent, confidence and aggression, but also Prost's smoothness and patience.

"That's a pretty impressive cocktail but Lewis has got it. We had Senna and Prost, Mansell and Piquet, then Michael Schumacher. We have now just entered the Lewis Hamilton era."

Coulthard acknowledges the scale of the compliment he has paid to a rookie driver, albeit one who has claimed seven podium finishes in his first seven races, including victories in the last two — the Canadian and US grands prix.

Crucially, he also suggests that McLaren's chief rivals have been caught napping by Hamilton's explosion on to the F1 scene.

"It's no coincidence that Ferrari are slightly off the pace just when Ross pair, and Alonso's anger at what he perceived to be preferred treatment for the British driver by his British team, have been denied and glossed over by McLaren, keen as they are, with the constructors' and drivers' titles seemingly theirs for the taking, to keep both their stars on track. Coulthard is an interested onlooker.

"There's no doubt about it, Fernando is all at sea at the moment and he's showing his Latin temperament. He's had a couple of off-days, unlike Lewis, and that's why he finds himself 10 points behind his team-mate.

"But I don't have a problem with what Fernando said in terms of how he sees McLaren favouring Lewis. People have criticised him for saying this, but he was asked a question and he answered it honestly.

"He came from a team where he turned from a boy to a man. He's joined a team where he doesn't know the personalities. It coincides with Lewis transforming from a boy to a man, having been part of the McLaren family for over 10 years.

"McLaren will do their level best to give both guys an equal chance to go for the drivers' title, but I can understand Fernando's feelings and he now has to work hard to feel at least an equal part of the team."

The rest of the season could well be even more exciting than the first seven races, starting at Magny-Cours next weekend at the French Grand Prix, followed one week later by the British Grand Prix at a Silverstone promising to be a sell-out on the back of Hamilton's formidable start in F1.

"Well, Fernando's not just going to give up, is he?" said Coulthard. "He's going to try everything he can to win a third, consecutive world title, he's getting more used to the different tyres each week, and there's still two-thirds of the season remaining.

"As each race passes, so the pressure will grow on Lewis. Right now he's still so young,everything is still so new and he's enjoying himself so much, I doubt he's feeling any pressure at all. He's going to have an incredible amount of support at Silverstone, and Ron Dennis at McLaren is just about the best man to ensure he is protected from too many outside interests, and that he gets on with the job. But the journey he's just started is a long one. All the signs are that Lewis will have a great career, but that's something that needs to be reviewed at the end of it, not now."

What Coulthard will say about them now, however, does not diminish the incredible and unexpected story that is Lewis Hamilton.

"McLaren will win the constructors' title, of that there's no doubt, and their drivers will be first and second in the drivers' title race."

In what order? "Based on the evidence of the first seven races, I have to say that it's looking very good for Lewis to become world champion in his first year in Formula One. And that,regardless of how good his car may be,would be really something."

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline tj-mx6

Re: How good is Hamilton?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 05:38:32 PM »
How good is Hamilton...?
I'd say pretty damn good, dont you think.
Granted its early in this season..and he's new to F1, but certainly not new to racing...
He has a great future at F1...and will win a championship one day....
A lot more than others can claim to have achieved..and who have been racing for a lot longer...!

Offline Lynda

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 08:50:56 PM »
I think it's good to see him showing Alonso up, but as a driver I'd prefer to have seen him having to struggle a bit first. I don't find it that interesting that he's not having to work too hard at it yet, unlike poor Button or Davidson....

Love Lynda XX
  :)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 02:47:18 AM »
At Indy, he looked like he could do just about whatever he wanted whenever he wanted.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 07:10:58 PM »
I think he is clearly incredibly good.  He has gone into a team with the driver who was going to dominate the post-Schumacher era and blown him away.  I know he only has a ten point lead but he has spooked Alonso and has received compliments I never thought I would hear about a rookie from some of the greats of the sport and Eddie Irvine.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 04:49:17 PM »
Actions speak louder than words. Results speak volumes.

Has anybody had the sort of results LH has had ?  3rd in his first GP. A string of 2nds, and then a couple of fantastic wins from pole.

It doesn't get much better than that. OK so he is in the best car. But look who his yardstick is - the fellow that has beaten the greatest driver of them all, not once but twice.

Yes, I think I can say quite confidently that Lewis is the future. In fact I wouldn't be in the least surprised if he ends up 2007 World Champ.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline RedFive

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:32:40 PM »
Hamilton is VERY good. No doubt about it. Let's not forget that Alonso was pretty much the only guy to take the fight to Schumacher in recent times, and Hamilton seems to have the measure of him.
People have pointed out, with some justification, that he's in the best car at the moment, but let's not forget that he's managed to make Alonso look quite ordinary in comparison a lot of the time.
I LOVE The Smell Of Castrol R In The Morning...

Offline romephius

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:54:58 PM »
I agree with all the statements about Lewis and his natural driving talent....but I still believe the true strength of a driver is how they deal with adversity...let's see how lewis goes when things are not going his way at all....will he hold the dignity of some of the drivers or will he have a melt down like some of the other drivers....

Personally I believe Lewis will do well under adversity....only time will tell though

Rom

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 02:02:19 AM »
I don't want to start thinking about next season yet but it is worth considering that until the last season or two Lewis had a reputation for needing a settling in season in a new formula before he delivered in the second season.  I can't imagine what he will be like in future if this is just a settling in year.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 02:21:30 PM »
I don't want to start thinking about next season yet but it is worth considering that until the last season or two Lewis had a reputation for needing a settling in season in a new formula before he delivered in the second season.  I can't imagine what he will be like in future if this is just a settling in year.
:good: I can't wait !!! :good:
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Mike_Grimsby

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 10:33:41 PM »
Who, prior to the start of the season, would have thought that Alonso could finish the 2007 season as the McLaren number two driver?

I wrote on another forum that I thought his better races would come within the European (GP2) circuit. Hamilton has exceeded all expectations. Who'd have thought he'd be the championship leader after 8 races?
I was 'Mr Sensible'. Now I'm just plain old Mike :)

FW14B

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 10:35:48 PM »
Hamilton has done an amazing job this season, he is withouth doubt the real deal.  I just worry that his coverage in the press will soon reach saturation point.  Seeing things like Hamilton's team McLaren... in the papers is just wrong in my opinion.  Still, that could be me being a grumpy man who has seen someone he has liked for years suddenly become so massively popular!

Offline RedFive

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 04:07:01 PM »
Hamilton has done an amazing job this season, he is withouth doubt the real deal.  I just worry that his coverage in the press will soon reach saturation point.  Seeing things like Hamilton's team McLaren... in the papers is just wrong in my opinion.  Still, that could be me being a grumpy man who has seen someone he has liked for years suddenly become so massively popular!
I know just what you mean, but thats the British press all over. Soon the Lewis Hamilton overdose will start to annoy people.
Still I always knew he would be good, but never in my wildest imaginings did I ever think he'd be this good in his debut season. It does annoy me though that too many people assume that I'm just another bandwagon jumper.
I LOVE The Smell Of Castrol R In The Morning...

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 05:13:12 PM »
I know what you mean about the bandwagon thing.  For me there are two distinct groups of fans associated with F1.  There are F1 fans who know about F1 and nothing else and there are motor racing fans who are interested in all sorts of racing and most of use remember reading about Lewis (and Button) from when they were in karting.  For some reason Autosport picked up on these two very early on and tracked their careers in a way it hasn't done with any other driver.

Two or three years ago I was telling people not to get caught up in the Button hype as they would all be Lewis Hamilton fans ina few years.  Strange now none ofthem remember this and all of them think they have discovered a great new talent in Lewis.

FW14B

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
Two or three years ago I was telling people not to get caught up in the Button hype as they would all be Lewis Hamilton fans ina few years.  Strange now none ofthem remember this and all of them think they have discovered a great new talent in Lewis.

:D  Great post, it is so true! 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle