collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 586
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Extra Security for Silverstone  (Read 850 times)

Offline Wizzo

Extra Security for Silverstone
« on: July 04, 2007, 03:48:24 PM »

Additional security will be in place this weekend for the British Formula 1 Grand Prix, following a spate of terrorist activity.

The discovery of two car bombs in the centre of London and the attack on Glasgow Airport last weekend has put the country on a high state of alert.

And although organisers and police stress no threat to the race at Silverstone has been received, it will ramp up security across the three days.

A police spokesman said: “It will be a sensible precautionary measure. We will look to minimise disruption and work closely with circuit management.”

Additional steps include extra vehicle and spectator searches and more CCTV cameras.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Steven Roy

Re: Extra Security for Silverstone
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 04:35:08 PM »
I read this yesterday.  It seems to be the case now that after any if these kinds of incident they raise the threat level.  They never seem to do that beforehand.

Besides in this case they seem to be a bunch of incompetent amateurs.  How can all those doctors with all the scientific knowledge they have fail to make a bomb go off?

One of the occupants of the car that attacked Glasgow airport got out of the car in flames.  He then decided that despite being alight he would fight with the police.  A member of the public interviewed on local radio afterwards how he went to the assistance of the police and decked the would be terrorist.

One of the Muslim community leaders interviewed said the the radicals had come to Scotland in the 80s and had been sent packing.  He said he wished he had been at the airport as he would have kicked the crap out of the terrorists.  He wasn't just as polite as that.

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 10:00:44 PM »
I first went to Silverstone in 2005 after the July underground attacks.  My coach picked me up outside the Edgeware Road station and it was a very sad way to start what should have been a great day, knowing what had gone on below where I stood waiting.  It seems though that we have to accept these factors as part of our life now. 

Online cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 04:50:27 PM »
It reminds me of the 2001 USGP. It was just a couple of weeks after 9/11. In spite of that, or more likely because of that, it had an atmosphere of camaraderie that I have never experienced at a race before or since.

One of the best responses to this kind of thing is to have it pull us together rather than tear us apart.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 09:57:50 PM »
I totally agree with that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle