collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 528
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The Vagaries of Memory  (Read 6749 times)

Offline Chameleon

The Vagaries of Memory
« on: July 28, 2007, 04:00:53 AM »
One of my favourite stories from the past concerns Sterling Moss and Mike Hawthorn.  I can't remember what year it was, sometime in the late fifties I think, but it happened at Le Mans at the beginning of the race.  Maybe someone with a better memory than mine can supply the missing details.

In those days, of course, the 24 hour race was started with the famous "Le Mans start" - the cars were lined up on one side of the start/finish straight with the drivers in a line on the other side of the road.  When the flag dropped, the drivers would sprint across the road, leap into their cars and off they'd go (What, safety harnesses?  What are those?).  It was chaotic and highly dangerous - some photos show drivers strolling across the road while others raced for all they were worth.

Mike and Sterling had qualified near the front (I forget what cars they were driving) but Mike had been studying the rules the previous night and noticed a loophole.  When the drivers were all lined up, Mike ran for his car long before the flag dropped.  Realising what was happening, Sterling yelled, "You bastard, Mike!" and also leapt into action.  The rest watched in amazement as the two jumped into their cars and set off; then the flag dropped and the usual chaos ensued.

Mike had noticed that nowhere in the rules did it say that drivers had to wait for the flag to drop once they were lined up.  So he took it literally and went as soon as the line had formed.  And Sterling wasn't about to let him get the jump on him like that, so he went too.

As far as I know, neither driver was penalised for the stunt but I reckon the flaw in the rules was covered for the following year!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 08:59:52 AM by Chameleon »

Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline romephius

Re: The Vagaries of Memory
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 04:13:47 AM »
Great story there Chameleon....it just goes to show the details really DO matter...

:DD

Rom

Offline johnbull

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 11:18:24 AM »
A perfect example of the competitive spirit that exists in real racers.

On a much more amateur note I noticed this myself lately. A group of old racers - literally, oldest was 74 and youngest was my brother at 58 - decided to get together for an evening of Karting, followed by a meal.

There were 10 of us on the grid, but as soon as the starter waved the flag we were away and doing absolutely everything to try and gain positions. It was like going back 40 years. Second just wasn't good enough, and with my heart condition it perhaps wasn't the most sensible thing for me to be doing, but I really couldn't believe how that competitive urge suddenly was right there again taking over from common sense.

We all suffered for the next week or so with stiff backs, necks, shoulders, arms. In fact stiff everything except what we can only dream about these days. :yahoo:

Like the saying goes, you don't stop playing when you get old; you get old when you stop playing.

I can't wait for the next kart meeting.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

The Stig

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 06:50:21 PM »
Hope this helps the topic.

stirling moss and mike hawthorn le mans 50s

Stig

The Stig

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 07:02:38 PM »
Another great site for Hawthorn
http://www.mike-hawthorn.org.uk/pathe.php
Great to bookmark.

Stig

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 07:55:49 PM »
Wow, I am in awe.  That video is priceless history; it brings together so many legendary and important facets of motor racing history - the great Mike Hawthorn, actually talking to us through what must have been the prototype of today's in-car cameras and microphones (love the way they taped the massive mic in front of his face), the glorious D-type Jaguar, and Le Mans as it was when littered with cyclists and family runabouts (Mike's comment: "Typical French"!).

Thanks, Stig, you've provided us with real treasure there.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

The Stig

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 08:39:34 PM »
I am pleased that you enjoyed it.This one shows a few bad scenes,but conveys the the racing theme, and the dangers of the time.

Stig

FW14B

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 09:45:16 PM »
Great story Chameleon!  So many personalities back then.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 09:52:18 PM »
Thanks Stig.

All super stuff.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 10:24:14 PM »
More great vids Stig, but that '55 Le Mans, terrible was'nt it, but, all the curcuits I have been to have notices stating ' motorsport is dangerous ', but you just don't expect that do you.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 10:29:45 PM »
the dangers of motor racing should'nt
include the fans

How'd you like to go to a wrestling
match and have a wrestler come in the
audience and perform a pile driver on you :D
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 10:37:39 PM »
But if your sitting in the front row and one guy gets lobbed out of the ring into your face, surely thats the same thing, although it won't be at 120mph
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

The Stig

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 10:43:55 PM »
Ian,Safety has changed since those days.
 I think what we have today,is the best we can have,gleamed from all the past events.
Stig

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 10:46:10 PM »
Safety has comea long way,but all
it takes is one car to get airbourne
and that could all change
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

The Stig

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 10:51:43 PM »
Look at the old footage,and relate it to today.
I think the drivers are more protected !

Stig

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle