collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 335
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 24 hrs of Daytona  (Read 2481 times)

Offline cosworth151

24 hrs of Daytona
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:02:11 PM »
The Rolex 24 at Daytona will be run this week-end. It's a 24 hour sports car race in the Grand Am series, and marks the begining of Daytona Speed Weeks, and the begining of racing season in the US.

The Grand Am is a NASCAR linked ALMS wannabe series. The upper class Daytona Prototype (DP) is, in some ways, much like the NASCAR Sprint (formerly Nextel, formerly Winston) cup. They are basicly spec racer cars with different make engines. The front end head light, grille and decal packages are used to make the cars look somewhat like the products of the engine manufacturer's vehicles. The lower class GT cars are much like the old SCCA Trans Am cars.

There are a few drivers of note in the race. Former F1 pilots include Juan Pablo Montoya, Allan McNish, Tomas Enge, Justin Wilson, Ricardo Zonta and, believe it or not, 67 year old Derek Bell.

Later generation racers include John Andretti, A.J. Foyt IV, David Donohue, Graham Rahal and Alex Gurney. Several IndyCar drivers will also be on hand.

The race is run on the "road course" at Daytona, which is basically the 2 1/2 mile, high banked tri-oval with a small, T-shaped infield section addedin the front, and a "bus stop" type chicane on the back stretch.

TV coverage will be on Saturday at 1:00 pm on Fox, switching to Speed at 2:30. Coverage will resume at 6:00 am Sunday. (All times EST)

From the 1960's through the 1980's, the 24 hrs of Daytona was, with Sebring, one of the two biggest sports car races in the US. It has lost most of its luster due to its association with the failing Grand Am series.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

Re: 24 hrs of Daytona
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
I know McNish has been desperate to win this race for years.  Amongst the prizes each driver of the winning car is given a Rolex Daytona watch.  You can't buy one you have to win it and McNish wants one badly.  Hope he has better luck this year than every other year he has tried to get one.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:45:34 PM »
This could be Derek's last race, according to AutoWeek's Daily Drive:

Sports-car legend Derek Bell, 66, will attempt to earn a ninth 24-hour-race win this weekend in what will likely be the last professional race of his career. The British driver will drive the No. 12 RVO Motorsports Riley-Pontiac in the Rolex 24 at Daytona International Speedway, along with an experienced sports-car driver lineup that includes his son, Justin.

For Bell, who won the 24 Hours of Le Mans five times and Daytona three times, a 24-hour race was the only choice for an encore to a storied endurance career.

"I never said I was retiring," Bell laughed when asked about his Daytona return. "But if this is to be my last race, then I'd like it to be at Daytona. I've been driving every year for the last 41 years, but you have to stop sometime. I wouldn't anticipate doing another 24-hour race. To finish my real professional career with Justin in this race would be lovely."

RVO team-owner Roger Schramm confirmed his driver lineup in December, but one driver then went to another team. Justin called his father in England on New Year's Eve to gauge his interest in filling the seat.

"Why the hell not do it?" Derek said. "All my body functions are working, and I'm in better shape than a lot of people 10 years younger."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »
Any TVU users interested in watching the 24 hrs at
Daytona,Speed is showing it 2pm till 10pm saturday
and the finish on Sunday 6am till 2pm.All times are
EST which are 5 hrs ahead of London time
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle