collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 507
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Thrown Helmet Bonus  (Read 2668 times)

Offline cosworth151

Thrown Helmet Bonus
« on: March 05, 2008, 03:25:22 PM »
This sounds like a joke, but it's not. It has been reported by most of the mainline media.

In an effort to reverse the tailspin in ticket sales and TV ratings, Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage has put up a “reward” for any helmet tossed during competition. He says he was glad to learn that NASCAR has decided to loosen the reins on drivers this season.

“I’m offering $15,000 for any helmet thrown by a Cup series driver during a race between now and the April 6th Samsung 500,” Gossage said in a statement from TMS released Friday. “I have a huge helmet collection from drivers through the years and it would be great to add to the collection. I’ve seen some helmets thrown during a race and never have they injured anyone or damaged another driver’s car. We’ll see what happens.”

Speedway Motorsports Inc. Chairman and CEO Bruton Smith, told of the reward, noted that “a lot of good things come out of Texas that are extremely clever. We need drama. We don’t have enough drama anymore. We need somebody to get out of the car and slap somebody." Speedway Motorsports Inc. own the Texas track, along with the tracks at Atlanta, Bristol, Charlotte, Las Vegas and Sears Point.

Brian France, NASCAR CEO, said that officials were looking at the situation, “and making sure that our policies of enforcement don’t make it where our drivers can’t express themselves. There are lots of characters in our sport. There’s lots of emotion flying fast and heavy at the events. What you’re always worried about really isn’t necessarily the specific incident, it’s really escalation. That’s what commissioners and officials in any sport are mostly concerned with. But on your way to making sure things don’t escalate, you want to be pretty stern with your penalties. There’s no question it can ... restrict ... the drivers expressing themselves. We want to see more of that.”

Maybe they can bash each other over the head with folding chairs like JPM did at the WWE match.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

Re: Thrown Helmet Bonus
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 04:41:29 PM »
I was reading this and thinking they want to make it like wrestling but it looks like you beat me to it.  If I was Montoya I'd be worried because the wrestler he hit with the chair may want to bounce a helmet off his head.

What has this got to do with motor racing?  I hope Max doesn't look to NASCAR to find ways to spice up the show.

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:27:32 PM »
If both series want to spice it up,how
about some good close exciting racing.

I've watched a couple of 500 mile Nascar
races this season and everyone turns
into a 2 lap sprint to the finish
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 09:24:13 PM by dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:41:26 PM »
I admire their efforts to have the races end under the green, but parking the cars on-track for 20-30 minutes while the track is cleared, then running the "green/white/checkered" two lap shoot-out is just silly. There has to be a better way.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 09:28:24 PM »
The difference between F1 and Nascar is easy.
Nascar the race is decided in the last 2 laps
while in F1 after 2 laps we know who's gonna
win
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 02:01:22 PM »
I just wish I had $15k for every time I threw my helmet at someone back when I was younger. ::)
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 05:29:14 PM »
It looks like they need to generate some interest. Speedway Motorsports just announced a $20.2 million loss for the fourth quarter of 2007 and sharply smaller profit of $38.4 million for the full year.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle