collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 480
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rosberg going to 'give' Williams one more year...  (Read 7288 times)

Offline Scott

Rosberg going to 'give' Williams one more year...
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:30:27 PM »
I hate these sort of interviews of drivers who haven't in any way proven themselves, yet they feel the need to lump the pressure on the team to move forward.  Has Nico forgotten the number of mistakes he himself has made over the past season and a half?  Williams is certainly on an upward swing, but if Nico thinks other teams will be clambouring at his doorstep once he makes it known he's available, I suspect he might be wrong.  Maybe Berger will want him, but that is hardly a step up.

From F1 Racing:

Nico Rosberg says he wants to win a world championship with Williams, but also does not rule out switching to another team to achieve his ultimate F1 goal.

The German driver, who turned 23 recently, is set to remain at the British team in 2009, but interestingly points out that contracts are no guarantee about the future.

Asked by Germany's Sport Bild is he is 100 percent sure he will be driving the FW31 next year, Rosberg replied: "I have a contract."

Pressed further, he explained: "It's like in football; take (German player Lukas) Podolski.

"He signed a contract for next season at FC Bayern - but will he be there?"

Rosberg was strongly linked with Fernando Alonso's vacated McLaren seat for 2008, but ultimately signed a lucrative extension to remain at Williams through to the end of 2009.

Sport Bild asked the driver about the possibility that other teams will again enquire about buying out his contract.

"The first thing would be Frank Williams," Rosberg explained. "I would only begin to think about it if Frank agreed to release me."

He said his '100 percent' objective is to become world champion. 

"If I can't do it with Williams, I just have to go to a team where it is possible."

Rosberg admits he has been disappointed by Grove-based Williams' trajectory in the opening half of this season.

"At the start we were looking really good, but we were not able to have the development progress of the top teams," he said.

"I know that next year I will not win the title with Williams, but I do hope for a big step forward.

"With the new regulations, particularly the cutting back of the aerodynamics, it means everyone starts from scratch basically. Without that, I would have my doubts," he said.

Sport Bild said it sounded as if Rosberg sees 2009 as a final chance for Williams to turn around its form.

"You could say that," the German admitted

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Rosberg going to 'give' Williams one more year...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 04:53:35 PM »
It's not generally a good idea to attempt to break an F1 contract if you're a driver. Nico should have a quick chat with Jenson Button if he really thinks like this...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:49:37 PM »
Sport Bild isn't one of the most reliable sources
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

TheStig

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:16:58 PM »
I agree....!

Stig

Offline jontywilliams

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »
Rosberg has been a disgrace this year. He completely stuffed it at Monaco and Montreal, the two tracks where Williams could have picked up a bundle of points. They should sell the guy to Ron and hire Alonso. Get all that Spanish sponsorship money, and a driver who really can deliver.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:21:13 AM »
The question is: can Williams afford Fernando?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:07:13 PM »
I don't think Fernando would survive Frank
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:32:20 AM »
Quite possibly not!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 01:59:33 AM »
I don't think Fernando would survive Frank

but who the hell has ever 'survived' the 'weazel'!

win a World Championship with WILLIAMS and ya got fired but those days are well over as this outfit is now on its way out so nico should try for another more able team. Outside of contract though as ALC has sagely posted re JB's sad experience.

i can't stand frank so I have to admit to a prejudice against the team.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 03:22:07 AM »
I'm not a big Williams or Merc fan either SM

I miss the good old days of Chapman,Tyrell,
and  Bruce Mclaren

Have a real soft spot for the privateers,people
like Rob Walker.

Those were the days
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 07:40:15 AM »
I heard Whitmarsh say that Mclaren was considering Merc's offer for a buyout, but nothing about Frank selling anything.  Frank will likely be the last of the privateers, but I can't see him selling out until he's on his deathbed.  I think Williams will be back on top within a couple of years.  He just needs some decent sponsorship.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 09:26:08 AM »
but who the hell has ever 'survived' the 'weazel'! {SennaMan - 3 posts ago}

Piquet Sr, Hill, Villenueve, R Schumacher, Montoya, Webber... the list goes on. Most drivers manage to go through a stint of Williams without losing their will to continue competing in F1. Alonso won't because there'll be too much tension between himself and Frank Williams. Frank doesn't stand for whingeing because that's not very racer-like and Alonso doesn't stand for "let-the-racetrack-decide" because he assumes he is the fastest driver.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 11:07:30 AM »
but who the hell has ever 'survived' the 'weazel'! {SennaMan - 3 posts ago}

Piquet Sr, Hill, Villenueve, R Schumacher, Montoya, Webber... the list goes on. Most drivers manage to go through a stint of Williams without losing their will to continue competing in F1. Alonso won't because there'll be too much tension between himself and Frank Williams. Frank doesn't stand for whingeing because that's not very racer-like and Alonso doesn't stand for "let-the-racetrack-decide" because he assumes he is the fastest driver.

true ALC but i am saying they get booted from the team if they win a WDC.

Something like they get too big in the boots for 'weazel' frank and far too expensive!

Is he Scottish by any chance?

:tease:
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 12:50:26 PM »
I think Patrick Head's discussions with Alonso would make good TV.  Imagine if when he threatened Ron last season it had been Patrick.  I would have paid good money to watch Patrick's reaction to that comment.

Shame we don't have a smiley with its head exploding.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 01:22:53 PM »
I miss the good old days of Chapman,Tyrell, and  Bruce Mclaren

Me too, Dare. I'd add Giancarlo Minardi, Eddie Jordan, Paul Stoddart and Aguri Suzuki to that list. The spirit that their teams always showed always made them fan favorites totally out of proportion with their results on the track.

As for Williams, I don't expect to see much in the way of results from them until they get a better engine.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle