collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 384
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 10 cars that sank Detroit  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Dare

10 cars that sank Detroit
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:12:18 AM »

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: 10 cars that sank Detroit
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:20:53 AM »
That list takes no prisoners, eh?  Interesting how often GM and Ford left the family cars to become obsolete by not updating them while pouring their money into the SUV and pick-up truck market.  It's astonishing when I go back to Canada (a mirror of America as far as cars on the roads go) and realize just how many SUV/trucks there are on the road compared to Europe. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 05:26:23 PM »
The definition of a consultant - Someone who is an "expert" in ten thousand methods of making love, but is actually a virgin.

This guy sounds like another Ralph Nader "auto expert who can't even drive." Examples:

Pinto - Funny, no one ever saw a Mercury Bobcat go up in flames. The only differences were the grille, tail lights and name plates. Even Joannie Phony Claybrook had to admit that the infamous film of a test Pinto bursting into flames was done with plastic containers of gasoline in the trunk, detonated electrically.

Chevy Astro - Built as a truck, not a minivan. The Chevy Lumina MPV was their minivan. The Astro survived the MPV on the market by over a decade.

Ford Taurus - One of the finest family cars ever built, in spite of being wrong wheel drive. I own one.

Ford Explorer - Not everybody lives in the city. Here in Appalachia, it's often days after a winter storm before the back roads see a snowplow. Having a 4x4 can be a true lifesaver in an emergency. Even Laura, who runs our front office here, has one.

Detroit has turned out some real duds. Like Dare, I give the Chevy Vega as an example. Even worse, the Chevy Metro or Aveo, the Dodge Colt and the Ford Festiva. Oops, I forgot, those weren't American.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 05:34:48 PM »
Have to agree with you on the Taurus Cos,I
have a friend9believe it or not)who's had
one for 6 years and nary a prob

And the Cimarron wasn't that bad looking
to me,I almost bought one
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:10:46 AM »
I think you can disagree with some of his choices, but the theme of Detroit being shortsighted in putting SUVs ahead of family cars on a continuing basis is pretty spot on. And I owned a Taurus that was the worst piece of crap I ever bought. I also had two friends who had 5 tranny replacements between them in their Taurii. These were women who were just average drivers, not boy racer types. Even today Ford refuses to bring some of their best European cars to the US because they feel Americans won't buy them. Get a clue guys, we're not buying what you're selling now, either >:(

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle